What line to us for plugs - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Archives > Ifish 2001 archives

Old 12-24-2001, 06:40 PM   #1
Snapshot
Tuna!

Default What line to us for plugs

I am just starting to use plugs for winter fish and have heard several people say different things about some of the newer lines. What should I use on the level wind reels when pulling plugs and How heave or light weight test should I use?

I do wish all of you a Merry Christman and may your holidays be filled with fish.

"fish only bite wet hooks"

Snapshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2001, 06:59 PM   #2
Pete
Administrator

Default Re: What line to us for plugs

I usually use 12 to 15 pound mono for plugs. For divers with bait back behind I'll use heavier mono or one of the new braided lines.

Search back a week or two for a post by David Johnson where he goes into some detail about what he does.

[ 12-24-2001: Message edited by: Pete ]</p>

Report Game Violations!

Washington: 1 877 933-9847

Oregon: 1 800 452-7888
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2001, 07:48 PM   #3
Rauly
Super Moderator

12 lb. mono Pink Maxima
Member #618
LUCK is: Preparation Meeting Opportunity
TEAM: Snood Doods
TEAM: Pop Tart
Big Fish Make Me Happy
Rauly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2001, 08:22 PM   #4
SandySteel
Ifish Nate

I like Mono because it stretches and won't pull the hook out of a fishes mouth like braided line does. I have seen this happen. Some may argue with me.
I also like to use a bright flourescent green like solar or big game so that I can see where the plugs are working. This is particularly useful when you have several rods out at the same time.
12 lb is about the right weight.

Eric
Old 12-24-2001, 09:43 PM   #5
David Johnson

Me and most the guides that I know on the coast are running 50# TUF or Power Pro with a 20 or 25# leader.

One of the original "ifish" guides.

"Like" my facebook page https://www.facebook.com/pages/David...5297?ref=br_rs

www.davidjohnsonsguideservice.com

fishermand@aol.com

503-201-4292

Guiding in the NW for 20 years
David Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2001, 10:51 PM   #6
marky-sharky
Steelhead

David, what is the reason you are going so strong for? I have always heard the lighter the better?
Old 12-24-2001, 11:08 PM   #7
Snapshot
Tuna!

thanks guys, I was thinking of putting on somthing like fireline or vanish or something like that. Dave, Don't the heavier lines resist the water and restrict the action of the plugs? I had heard that a light line allows the plugs to cut through the water easier and therefore allowing the plug to work better...Not True???

Fish only bit wet hooks"
Old 12-24-2001, 11:09 PM   #8
Snapshot
Tuna!

Ah, at last, it'stime to Play Santa for the Grandkids... nite nite and to all a good night. :grin:
Old 12-24-2001, 11:13 PM   #9
Fishin Magician
Ifish Nate

Braided lines have a smaller diameter. 50# tuf is about the diameter of 12# mono.
John
Fishin Magician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2001, 05:59 AM   #10
Jim
Chromer

I use 30lb Power Pro direct tie to the plug with the Tie Master knot. With over 500 Salmon this year in the boat I know of three Salmon lost because of Power Pro. Two of them came from strong "mono" hooksets which will definitely pull the hooks out. If your rod tip moves an inch so did your hook! The other was with the Power Pro rep who while getting the rod out of the rod holder pointed the rod straight at the fish...end of story.

Merry Christmas all!

Jim
Old 12-25-2001, 08:01 AM   #11
Nanook

Thank you David for putting to bed that tuff does not work. :grin: It's just me so far. LOL.

Rick
Old 12-25-2001, 05:17 PM   #12
Jim
Chromer

I have switched all my reels over to Power Pro....I love it for drift fishing, it is like a direct connect.

Jim
Old 12-25-2001, 06:03 PM   #13
SteelieSteve
Tuna!

I've got 12# maxima ultragreen on all my reels for winter steelies. Tough to break!
Old 12-25-2001, 06:13 PM   #14
Snapshot
Tuna!

This is proof of why the Ifish board is so great. You can take a not so good fisherman and educate him as he goes. While I have been reading the board for some time, I had been reluctant to post anything until I picked up a boat this year. All of you have been a great help in getting it set up correctly. We are all busy and it is refreshing to have David Johnson assist us in learning about our sport fishing, tatics, and equipment to use. I greatly appreciate the extra effort it takes to help. I and am sure each of us appreciates the sponsors and Ifish crew. Without them, well, let's just say that we are all better for having them tutor us along the way. Because of all of you, I get to fish with each story I read. It's a wonderful change from the bordom of working all the time. Thanks Dave, ****** and Jim, I will swap over to either tuf line or Power Pro this week.

"Fish only bit wet hooks"
Keep them wet.
Old 12-25-2001, 06:50 PM   #15
David Johnson

My pleasure :smile:

fishermand@aol.com

503-201-4292

Old 12-25-2001, 11:01 PM   #16
Snapshot
Tuna!

How does Tuf or power pro hold up for drift fishing or back bouncing with bait. Does it nick or cut easier than mono? I anticipate that the braided lines don't stretch and the hookset should be more gentle per the above statements. So if I am using plugs, and a braided line, I should have a somewhat less than strong hookset because there is less stretch. I am hoping to find that combo that works best with plugs.
Old 12-25-2001, 11:22 PM   #17
David Johnson

The diametor of 50# is around the same as that of 12#. It is also way tuffer than mono in the area of abrasion.

I wouldn't even think of backbouncing without it. Using mono us like using a wet noodle.

And yes, the hook sets don't have to be as hard, although lately I've had a few clients that were used to trout fishing not conect and get the hook past the barb, even with TUFF Line.

After using mono for drift fishing all my life I do not like the feel at all of braided for drift fishing. I can't think of any one that uses it much for drift fishing. I know some people that do use Fire Line for drift fishing though. (I think Fire Line is a combo of mono and braided lines)

fishermand@aol.com

503-201-4292

Old 12-25-2001, 11:42 PM   #18
Hookset
Sturgeon

David, have a question. How many hookups to take downs do you get using tuff line or power pro? Do you credit greater hookups using super braids VS mono? Or, are they about equal?

What is the primary reason to use braids over mono? Is it better hookups, less line maintenance, plug action, fewer lost plugs?? Maybe all the above?

And, what type of rod do you prefer using braided line for plug fishing?

My personal preference has always been a fiberglass rod for plugging, just love the tell tale action.

That reminds me of a comment we used to say to friends on the river when they were plugging...."Are you fishing or are you plugging", translation....., plugging really isn't fishing. hahaha :tongue:

Gregg
Hookset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2001, 01:35 AM   #19
David Johnson

All of the above reasons for using braided lines.

I do credit more hook-ups to the braids because of not having streach. Of course many times it's the angler behind the rod that counts. There have been a few days this past fall/winter that the hook set's have been pretty lacking, or the thumb wasn't on the reel spool, or the angler couldn't get the rod out of the holder....

I use GLoomis 9000 rods for steelhead plugging.

fishermand@aol.com

503-201-4292

Old 12-26-2001, 10:27 AM   #20
cureless
Coho

I have used Big game green the last two years with two old Fenwick glass rods (1970's)

This last Monday my 11 year old son was sitting alone in the front seat of the boat setting and working both rods. It made it easier for him when he could see both lines (green).

When one of the rods went off he did a double take on it and watched it throb for a split second and jumped on it, got it out of the rod holder and started to play the fish.

No hookset just firmly took it out of the holder
and started to play the fish. Both hooks were into that fish I had to use pliers to get both of them out.
cureless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2001, 01:05 AM   #21
Bob Barthlow

I've tryed them all , in mono I like 15# izorline it comes off the reel nice no coils and is small dia. and the price is good.David the trouble I've had with tuff line is it likes to rap around the tip of my rods, it has a memory and if not careful a customer could break the tip off a Loomis.Thats whY I go with 20# or 30# Fireline,with 20# to 30# Coho mono shock leaders.Fish don't break off.
Cowlitz River/Klickitat River Summer Steelhead/Fall
Salmon trips
Book Today For Best Dates
www.riversnw.com
Bob Barthlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2001, 02:28 PM   #22
FishinMission
Sturgeon

Well...I'm voting for 12 lb. Max Ultragreen. Works for me!! :grin:
FishinMission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2001, 02:58 PM   #23
Nanook

Yes it does.

Rick :grin:

[ 12-27-2001: Message edited by: ****** ]</p>
Old 12-27-2001, 09:37 PM   #24
Snapshot
Tuna!

David and the gang, thanks for the input. I just returned from GI Joes and put on 30Lb. Power Pro. It has an 8lb diameter. I mentioned I had posted on Ifish about the line and the guy behind the counted uses the same 30/8 power pro line and stated it has been the reason for his improved hookups and less fish lost. I anticipate this will also be good for the Willamette Springers. Now I have to call in sick so I can go try it out. Will there be anyone on the Clack Saturday AM? :grin: :grin: :grin:
Old 12-27-2001, 10:58 PM   #25
Snagly
Steelhead

Dave, a small point on Fireline. It's made of the same material that all the braids are, gelspun polyethylene or "GSP". GSP lines are constructed in a variety of ways under different brand names (e.g. "Spectra"). None of these lines take color very well -- all the dyed lines revert to white over time. (See below for "Technical Appendix")

Fireline is a coated, fused GSP. The slick finish makes Fireline easier to handle than uncoated lines. It's also a little thicker for its claimed weight than the uncoated, woven GSP's (like Spiderwire -- see below). Because Fireline isn't woven, after a while it delaminates and flattens out (about the time the Flame Green color fades to light yellow). The line still fishs OK, but it's like handling dental floss and some people change it at that point.

As example of a woven line, the original was Spiderwire. Spiderwire has a soft, cotton thread-like feel to it. It's 100% woven GSP. This line tends to be the strongest for its diameter. It also is prone to tip wrapping, has relatively poor(er) abrasion resistance and is generally harder to handle in lighter tests (e.g. 30lb Spiderwire has 4lb mono diameter). It's excellent in 50lb and heavier test for backing on saltwater fly and big game reels.

What's a puzzle to me is how certain braided lines have excellent abrasion resistance and others very poor. I think the major reason is that non-GSP strands are inserted into the blend (either Dacron or something even tougher). Secondary reasons could include construction technique (fused vs. woven); type of weave (tight or loose) and number of strands in the line (12 and 16 seem to be the most common). As a longshot, perhaps different coatings make a difference. If anyone could shed light on this, I'd be grateful.

Technical Appendix (from Max Garth of Australia in an email to me earlier this year):

"DSM High Performance Fibres, Heerlen, Holland are the inventors of and patent holders for Gel-Spun Polyethylene fibres, or yarns, used in “Super Braid” fishing lines. "Dyneema" is the registered trade mark of DSM HPF and of Toyobo Co. Japan who are Far East producers of “Dyneema”. "Spectra" is a registered trademark of AlliedSignal Inc. who are license holders for production in America. There is little difference in these braids, since it is a high modulus product and very stiff, which means that there is not a wide range of fibre deniers that can be used."

Max Garth (July, 2001)

[ 12-28-2001: Message edited by: Snagly ]</p>
Old 12-30-2001, 04:04 PM   #26
Salmonator
Sturgeon

Due to a huge delay in the mail system I was forced to use 80lb tuff+ on my plug rods (reels were loaded with bobber line from last fall). We hooked 5 and landed 4 plug fish yesterday on HSR9000's. Three on hotshots and two on tadpolly's. All plugs had a 5' 12lb ultra green leader above them. The takedown was so vicious that no hookset was necessary, just remove from holder and play.... Joe

If I knock my own salmon off with the net in the middle of the ocean and nobody saw it, did it actually happen?
Salmonator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2001, 06:49 PM   #27
David Johnson

Yes, there is some tip wrappage but that's a price I'm willing to pay.

I never use less than 50# for the fact that less than that the diameter is too small and the abrasion resistance is lost.

Also, Salmonator, I'd be carefull of running so light a leader. If you get a fish that likes to role around and wrap the line around it's self there is going to be a fish swimming around with a nice plug. And if you snag up say bye bye to your plug.

Most of use use 20# leader. I've been running 25# and the fish don't mind one bit, caught fish this week in the clear water with no problem.

fishermand@aol.com

503-201-4292

Old 12-30-2001, 07:37 PM   #28
HarpMan
Steelhead

Snagly, Western Fillament makers of Tuff line and TUFF plus have fused lines as well. I'm not sure if they are available to the public yet but they are great and the color is impregnated into the fused material so it does not fade or come off in any way. I have found the fused lines to float higher than braid...good for bobbers, bad for pluggin. They also have a braid... TUFF 2000 which has twice the braids as TUFF Plus and is smoother/silkier feeling and some what round. The have been hesitant in bringing it out as price looks to be twice of TUFF pluss.

I use both braid and mono..Like to run braid on my K10 & K/12 rods in slower water where line diameter is more in play. I also like ot see my lines out in front of the boat and have yet to find a braid or fused line brite enough for my eyes in this regards.

If the rod tip is not verticle but stays horizontal briad will not wrap around the tip of a HSR 9000 or any rod, plus the use of a mono bumper will help in this matter.

Dave is right use a bumper in the 20-25 lb range on briad and you can pull in anything.

Plunker, Author of "Plug Fishing For Steelhead"

23' Pacific City Koffler Dory "Beer Can"
Proprietor of Fishless Charters Inc.
HarpMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2001, 08:44 PM   #29
Eric Linde
Coho

These are all excellant points on braided lines. Dave Johnson is right 50# is the way to go. One thing I might add to this discussion is that you really don't need the mono leader. I fish several small S.W. Washington rivers and pull # 40 Hot Shots tied directly to my Spider Wire in gin clear water and no problem getting bit.Spider Wire A-2000 is a more expense braid because of the weave. Tuff Line has the same product. They just don't market it because it's so expensive. With regard to Fire Line, yes it's a coated braid but that's it's beauty. All you bobber and jig fisherman should go fill your spinning reels with 14# green Fire Line. Then tie a 12-15' bumper of 8-12# mono(preferably Berkley XT). Use a double uni- knot to join the two lines. Then just run your bobber like normal. Fire Line floats and is so much easier to mend. Remember drag free drifts are best with your bobber. Happy New Year All!
Eric Linde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2001, 10:52 AM   #30
Salmonator
Sturgeon

Dave the heavier mono is probably better, but I haven't had a problem with breaking off fish although I do lose a plug to a rootwad occasionally. I normally use 17lb G-power cofilament but like I said, lately it seems that it takes an act of congress to get something shipped though the mail from california anymore....

If I knock my own salmon off with the net in the middle of the ocean and nobody saw it, did it actually happen?
Salmonator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2001, 04:02 PM   #31
David Johnson

Yes, but luck would have it when you hook that fish of a life time 12# might not cut it.

I've had fish break of 40# leader before just by wrapping the line around their head and the plug.

The more fish hooked sooner or later it will happen.

fishermand@aol.com

503-201-4292

Old 12-31-2001, 05:12 PM   #32
Snagly
Steelhead

Great thread, fellows. I've cut-and-pasted selected comments from Dave, Plunker ("Plugger"?) and Sturgzilla into a file note so I can look at them again w/o having to search the archives.

PS I find a double uniknot connection between the line and a longer mono leader to be quite strong for uncoated, softer braids like Spiderwire. I don't find it a particularly good connection for Fireline. You may want to test the breaking strength of several combos of main line and mono using hand scales.
Old 12-31-2001, 07:22 PM   #33
Snapshot
Tuna!

SNAGLEY, Your great and have just give this not so computer savy nut a great tip. Almost as good as all the others listed above. I will now cut and past and save to a fishing file. I find this to be priceless as I have printed some of the information we share and now, You hit me up side the head with a big hammer. I can cut and paste without printing. Guess I am really a dough ball when it comes to computers.....
I was at the tackle shop near Hyy 212 and I 205 (across from Fred Meyers) today and they have a gold colored braided line that is very visible and easy to see on the water. It floats and cast well with a spinning reel... Seems like a great bobber line so fay, I just haven't had a hit on it yet..

*Fish only bite wet hooks*
Old 12-31-2001, 09:13 PM   #34
Catch 22
Tuna!

Hey snapshot! Where'd you guys go after we saw you 2 at Great American Tackle(across from freddy's)? Clack? Any luck? Shoot me a PM and I'll take you guys to a couple hot spots.

Ifish Member #161
Catch 22 is offline   Reply With Quote