Old 12-29-2006, 05:25 PM   #1
PhoebusGroup
Steelhead

Default Tales of Jim Erickson

I'd be interested in hearing some Jim
Erickson tales. I am sure there are
hundreds of them. Here's mine:

Part 1

Several years ago the salmon bite was on between the fork and the 101 bridge, and we were off at first light. The Tilly Co Sheriffs set a trap just above the bridge, pulling over the majority of the boats for not showing light 1 hr after sunrise. There was a huge queue as we waited at a dock to be written up. Jim Erickson got snagged, "Catch up with me later," he shouted to a Sheriff, they waved him off, and he continued onward to fish.

Part 2

I wrote a letter to the Tilly judge saying, among other things, that it didn't quite seem fair to be held up for an hour while Jim got a wave. I also pointed out that visibility was absolutely endless that morning at that time and that I didn't understand the Sheriffs' motives. I also told the judge that I had added lights to my driftboat. (Lights on a driftboat?)

Part 3

I received a refund for the entire fine, a letter of apology for the ridiculous process, and a hand-scrawled note at the bottom saying, "Jim Erickson was ticketed." And then I heard from Jim Nielsen at the Wheeler Marina that everyone was pardoned. Not quite...

Part 4

I ran into Jim Erickson and said, "Wasn't that a waste of our time when the Sheriffs pulled us over?"

"Cost me 80 bucks," he replied. "I went to court and told the judge what I thought about the Sheriffs' behavior. He asked me if I was planning to use the lights on my boat in the future and I told him, 'No.' The judge asked me, 'Why not?' I said I didn't need lights because the Sheriffs are far to lazy to get up early in the morning for years to come."

Like several others, Jim introduced me to the Nehalem North Fork. He taught me how to run the upper river, he showed me the only place a woman could change clothes in privacy (another story!), and he showed me how to find spare anchors that he had cached along the bank. What a wonderful man he was.

So, what's your favorite Jim Erickson tale?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2006, 05:29 PM   #2
Jennie@ifish
AdminiMom

Default Re: Tales of Jim Erickson

I'll get to this later. Too soon for me, now. I've told a few on the other post... I'll put together a Jim page when I'm ready.

I'd like to hear other people's tales, however. Man, there were many. I only wished that we had done this before he left. He'd enjoy it so much!

Maybe he's reading. Who knows?

Jen

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Whoo hooo! What a Ride!”

Jennie@ifish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 05:35 PM   #3
Jennie@ifish
AdminiMom

OK. Just one. From Dec in 2001

Quote:
"Toot toot!" resonates through the canyon. This is Jim's way of saying, "We're off!" On to the next hole...
Everything that comes from the back of Jim Erickson's boat makes me giggle and smile! He is a positive and confident angler and teacher.
The North Fork Nehalem hatchery area was elbow to elbow with weekend anglers.
"Just more people to watch me catch fish!" He jokes.
It's no joke! Soon, my soaking wading shoes struggled to find room to stand. The rubber floor was filled with sloshing water and fresh steelhead.
We were guests on Jim's home river. He's fished, and resided on the North Fork Nehalem since 1964. He and his wife, Loretta, had a fishing school on this river from 1983 until 1991. Jim and Loretta introduced hundreds of people to the joy of their first steelhead, and the beauty of their home land, on the North Coast of Oregon.
The rain poured, the river was full of fresh fish. I nearly forgot we were in a world full of worry over fish habitat. The hatchery area was producing heavily, and nearly every bank angler had a catch at his feet.
It was a perfect angler's dream.
"Toss one out there!-- You'll get one chance at this!"
Bill and I were ready. We jitter, as we follow his instructions to a tee. It can get frustrating. "Put on another slinky!" He yells, maneuvering the boat in between riffles. Bill and I wrestle with tackle bags, throwing around plugs, tying up, elbowing each other in the cramped raft. He settles us between two raging channels, and sets us into a pillow of flat water. This floats us slowly enough to hurry, rig up the slinky and ready ourselves for further instruction.
"Throw 'em out under those alder branches". Zip, zip, zip! All three rods scream into the combat zone. It's a wonder they don't tangle, but we all get our shot.
Every hole, every canyon, every riffle has a story. Stories of films made with TV personalities, or government officials. He knows where the fish will be. He tells us how they travel. "Up through the hole on the right, they move across this apron here, and follow the riffle on the left." We work the apron of water clear across.
"There he is!" Bill sets the first hook.
After four fish in one hole, Jim notes, "Do you know how many anglers zipped through this hole in anticipation of the next? They miss it every time, in a hurry to beat you out to next hole."
Mr. Erickson is a true believer in letting the race horses go down first. "Sleep in, let them miss the fish in their race, then we'll go clean up." And clean up we did. Putting in at 10 in the morning has it's benefits!
The river was fairly high, making some of the more dangerous rapids a breeze, some more dangerous. The approaching roar of the water increases to an ear pounding level.
"Don't move an inch!" He shouts at us, dead serious. We are facing an angry, churning, standing wave at the Queen.
There is a series of drops midway through this challenging drift. It starts with the Tank hole, on to the stair steps, and dead on to the Jack, the Queen and the King.
I froze as we stared straight down into a suck hole. Past that I saw nothing but a wall of water. As we descended into it's mouth I closed my eyes. I felt water. Cold, winter, river water everywhere! Half of the river went in my hair, half up my sleeves and down my back.
Soon the world came back to me, and I could see a flat road of water ahead. "WHOOO HOOO! Jim! Row up river!!! Let's do that again!!!"
"We did, once for TV!", he said, nonchalantly. I looked behind me in disbelief.
Adrenaline was pulsing through my veins. I had faced death and lived through it! (Well... not quite, but it's that kind of rush!)
It was a cold, rainy, dreary day on the North Fork, but I was doing fine until I got drenched.
When the adrenaline wore off, I was faced with the aching, bone chilling cold that disables your fingers, and throws your muscles into spontaneous spasms. I needed a fish to refuel my personal heater. I worked as hard as I could at it, but could not produce. I was just too cold and awkward at that point. No matter how graceful the rod, how smooth my Calcutta reel, my casts ended up jerky. I snagged up, lost lead, dropped shrimp, smashed eggs, couldn't tie on another rig.
I was done.
What a grand site it was, to see Jim's house around the last bend. My frozen bones slowly made it up to the house. I was greeted by Loretta, who was pleased as punch with our catch.
I was pleased as punch with her wood stove and gracious offer of hot coffee and food!
I thawed out as the guys cleaned fish. (Aren't guys grand?)
Life is good, Jim. Your river is good.
Thanks so much... and until next time....
Toot, toot!

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Whoo hooo! What a Ride!”

Old 12-29-2006, 05:40 PM   #4
Crayfin
Sturgeon

I remeber one time when I was fishing just below Jack Falls. I had walked in for a ways and had already hooked and released several fish. Jim was floating by with a client and had said that they had a few. As he was giving us a wide bearth he happen to float right next to the opposite bank in about a foot of water. All of a sudden he said--Holy Cow there must be 20 steelies laying right here!! He pulled over and directed me where to cast and I proceeded to put a pounding on them--he never cast in there once That spot has produced an absolute ton of fish for me as it is a spot almost no one would ever think a fish would lay.

So hears to you Jim thanks for a sneaky little spot that is still paying out
Crayfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 05:55 PM   #5
Jennie@ifish
AdminiMom

Jim and I, summer steelhead fishing on the Tucca

Jim, on the bay, ocean? I forget.

Old 12-29-2006, 06:09 PM   #6
Bill Monroe
King Salmon

My first time out with Jim, he loaded the raft and Loretta drove that silly little old pickup upriver with jim in the middle (we were both thinner then)...Right off the highway and through an open gate she went. Signs on each side of the gate read "Property of Oregon Fishing Club; No Trespassing." Loretta paused at the edge of a field, Jim looked both ways then poked her in the ribs...In fact he kept poking and urging her on...it was a bit unpleasant and somewhat unsafe as the raft pounded up and down on the trailer behind us..."I'm not in that big a hurry, Jim," I pleaded..."We've got all day!"
Jim turned and gave me a dead serious look.
"If anyone stops us, tell them you're a member!" he said...

"Yet it isn't the gold that I'm wanting
So much as just finding the gold."
Robert Service

Bill Monroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 06:32 PM   #7
Bill Monroe
King Salmon

OK, one more then I'll quit and watch instead.
This is Jim Martin's favorite Jim story (beside the one where Jim wouldn't go back through the jaws the day Martin's wife got seasick after crossing the Nehalem Bar):

Gov. John Kitzhaber is fishing with Jim, Jim Martin and Buzz Ramsey...Kitzhaber hooks a fish...Ramsey grabs Jim's net, but the fish easily zooms through a large hole in the net (Jim was a bit tough on equipment) and makes another long run. Now Kitzhaber is fighting the fish through the net while Jim casually takes some shoestring out of his pocket and goes to work on the webbing (held together in similar fashion in several places)..."The last governor's fish that went through this net was Vic Atiyeh's," Jim says...Kitzhaber doesn't miss a beat either.
"This is because I vetoed the cormorant bill, isn't it?"
(They ultimately landed the fish).

Robert Service

Last edited by Bill Monroe; 12-30-2006 at 03:31 AM.
Old 12-29-2006, 07:12 PM   #8
Joe Schwab

What I enjoyed about "Hustlerjim" on Ifish was how he would stir the pot , turn up the heat and then sit back and watch the pot boil over. Those who did not know him took great umbrage to some of his posts, demanding to know his credentials. I know Jim just sat back with his hat on the back of his head and chuckled.

Jim, they hardly knew ya!

When my wife and I were trolling on Nehalem Bay and we would pass Jim, he would say something to my wife, like, "who's that guy you're with? Can he catch fish?"

The Nehalem will never be the same, but then again nothing ever is.

2006 as Jennie mentioned will never be forgotten. Too many loved ones lost.
Old 12-29-2006, 08:44 PM   #9
pearl
King Salmon

Met Jim the first time while a buddy and myself were launching at his home on the NF. I would drop the boat in the water and then wander up to his house. The back door would be open which meant come in and have a cup of coffee. I knew an opportunity when I saw one so I pulled up a chair and soaked in all the information and opinions I could get. We then would shuttle my rig down to Aldervale and I would jump in his little pick up for the ride back to the house. In hind sight it may be the best $5.00 I have ever invested in fishing?

We last spoke at the North Coast Rendezvous in Tillamook this past November. Jim volunteered his time to take some lucky anglers fishing for a couple of days. Came in to the Swiss Hall after the first day and saw Jim and his wife at the end of the table by themselves. Out of pure respect I sat down with them to have a cup of coffee and just listen to what the legend had to say. He told me if he had had 30 more minutes of daylight there would be three more salmon in the box It was 20 minutes that I'm glad I invested in. I'll miss him having to pay Tim Juarez off on their yearly bet of who had caught the most salmon in the derby. Jim paid each year but he did it with a smirk on his face that made you know he was proud of what the guides were doing in Tillamook County. The next morning I was at the Oyster House and was able to give Jim a hand launching his boat before his clients showed. The ramp was busy that day and as much as he tried to convince me he didn't need help I know it was appreciated. I'm going to miss him in both the sled and his raft and watching the old Suburban head on down the highway.

And finally, Jim gave me one of his hand sketched maps of the North Fork that included each hole rated in the Erickson rating system.
For someone to look at the map that wasn't familiar with the King of the North Fork they would scoff at it's simplicity. But for someone who knew what a gem they had in their hand it is priceless. It's been in a file for the last few years put I think I'll have it framed this weekend and display it proudly in my office.

RIP Jim !
Old 12-29-2006, 09:12 PM   #10
Sliderite
Steelhead

I believe my only encounter with Jim Erickson was on the Siletz more than 6 years ago. I ran solo on the Moonshine run and as I past him he said to his buddy loud enough for me to hear that "see that anchor... that has seen alot of use". I don't know why that still sticks in my head but at the time I just chuckled and replied yes to him. Another thing about that day that I remember is that when I pulled out at Twin bridges, I watched Jim remain seated in his raft on the trailer as it was driven up the steep ramp. I just chuckled to myself and thought that is the way to end the day.
Sliderite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 10:27 PM   #11
chromer
Chromer

I've attached a couple of shots of Jim from the 2006 North Coast Rendezvous. Jim & Loretta have been attending since the very first Rendezvous and will be deeply missed. Notice that the jacket he is wearing in the photos is for the winning guide at the Rendezvous. If you look closely you can see "X 4" indicating that he won that honor 4 times. At the Thursday night dinner coffee cups are always provided for each guest to take home commemorating the event. Jim had a reputation for picking up all that were left behind. He must of had a closet full!

Back some 25 years, when I was the president of the NW Steelheaders, I got a telephone call one night at about 2 a.m. Unfortunately my wife answered. "Hello. Uh-huh. Can I tell him who's calling?" She turned, looked at me absolutely baffled, and said, "Its God, for you." It was of course Jim all wound up, wanting to set the world a fire, and it needed to start now!

A few weeks later at the very first meeting of the Nehalem Chapter of NW Steelheaders, with a beady twinkle in his eye and smirky grin on his lips, Jim introduced me to the assembled group as "Dave Schrammie." Where he came up with that I'll never know, but there's no doubt it was a good natured jab in my "flat-lander" ribs in front of about 30 locals! Thanks to Jim I still have friends today that call me "Schrammie."

Certainly one of a kind and a fish advocate in the truest sense. I feel blessed to have known him as a friend.

I bet St. Peter is still getting an ear full!
Attached Images

North Coast Salmon Rendezvous

Last edited by chromer; 12-30-2006 at 09:25 AM.
chromer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 03:33 AM   #12
Bill Monroe
King Salmon

OK, couldn't resist one more observation as I got up this morning and opened my newspaper...

Jim Erickson...sharing the front page with Saddam and Gerald Ford...

Any quesses what he might say?

"They ran my picture too small...I'm a lot bigger deal than Saddam."

Robert Service

Old 12-30-2006, 05:50 AM   #13
Fishstix
Tuna!

Nice stories. What a fine way to pay respect to a good man!
Old 12-30-2006, 06:45 AM   #14
Hogmaster

My first encounter with Jim was an eye-opener for sure. A friend and I conference called him many years ago to arrange for us to launch at his house and then shuttle our rig down.

We were asking directions to confirm which house he was at, and he explained in graphic detail (I'm sure some of you know) about how, once we saw the Tillamook County line sign we would want to err... take liberties with our neighbor's wives and would suddenly get the urge to steal everything we saw in every garage we came to. Then his house would be right off to the right.

Though he didn't know us from anyone, he was not about to change his ways. If you wanted the launch and shuttle, welcome to Jim. And it was great.

He shared many tips that morning, like he did with so many, in his typically gruff yet amusing way. We had hardly started when he admonished us for almost passing a slot right behind the house. We were going to pass it up, figuring it was "his" water. He'd have nothing of it. Second cast, fish on!

As saddened as everyone is, I have to say that I don't think that was quite the way he would have "wanted" to go. "Too damn cold!", he would have said. No, I think he would have preferred going on the bank or the raft with the last tick on the ticker, not even after he hooked up, but maybe right after some newbie made one of those casts to the slot he said to cast to.

At least it was close to that, and on his home terra and aqua. RIP Jim, and take it easy on the crew up there!

Hogmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 09:32 AM   #15
Jerry Dove

I wish I were a writer!! In my 68 years, about 65 of those fishing, I have meet so many great people. Famous people, rich people, poor people, inbetween people, interesting people, not so interesting people, beginners, experts, those that thought they were experts, outlaws, folks that cared about fisheries and those that could give a damm and the list goes on and on. I wish I were a writer. I have always said I could write a book just about people that I have met fishing. Reading the comments about Jim make me wish even more, that I were a writer. Maybe a good start would be to go back through the years and start with the stories that Tom Mccallister and Bill Monroe have wrote about people. There are so many folks that have contrubutied to our great outdoors and we forget them to soon. Hey Bill M. got any spare time. I wonder where Big Jim would fit in that book.
Jerry Dove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 09:55 AM   #16
Jennie@ifish
AdminiMom

A couple of Jim Dandies.

Old 12-30-2006, 10:00 AM   #17
Jennie@ifish
AdminiMom

Can we really tell all now?

OK, I'll tell one I swore I'd never tell. Let me be perfectly clear here, though. Jim didn't throw out garbage, EXCEPT for my benefit.

Jim liked to tick me off. Knowing that I am a bit of a greenie, one day he tossed out a candy wrapper. I got SO mad at him! I mean really ticked! He was in one boat, me in the other.

So, I made Bill pull anchor, and we went and dipped it out of the water, me scowling at him, the whole time.

So, pretty soon we were off to another location. Jim speeding up in his boat, Bill and I following in his wake.

All the sudden, I started noticing garbage in the water... EVERYWHERE!

So, I turned Bill around and we started plucking it out.
Bill was not pleased that I made him do this, but I detest garbage in the water. Bill does too, but he was in the mood to catch fish, not play Beach clean up.

Soon enough, we are catching up with them, and I notice Jim is throwing things out of the boat on purpose! Just to tick me off! I mean when he got low on paper, it started to be pop cans, and whole pop cans, full! And then whatever else he had! He was laughing so hard, and I... I... WAS NOT!

But, I am now!

That is... in between my tears.

Dang, I'd love some garbage in the water, right now.

Jim's favorite saying that would make me mad when he tossed out the garbage that he KNEW I'd clean up..., "Oh! This will make the beach clean up people so happy!"

I know he didn't mean that... and only said it to tick me off!

Toot toot!

Old 12-30-2006, 10:47 AM   #18
Jennie@ifish
AdminiMom

Jim knows I'm not much on logging... so he'd gaze, lovingly and longingly over at the mountains bare with clear cuts and say to me,

"My son did that.

Isn't it beautiful?

I'm such a proud Papa!"

Old 12-30-2006, 11:13 AM   #19
Jennie@ifish
AdminiMom

This in, From Grant McOmie:
Quote:
Too many memories, too many moments, too many good times.

I'll air a segment about Jim next Sunday, 1/7, @5pm.

Grant
Just FYI

Old 12-30-2006, 03:38 PM   #20
dewfish
Steelhead

I loved the fact you could drift down river and Jim would offer to sell a bag of eggs to the fly fisherman. I fished the river today and caught fish. And I thought I could hear : do you want to buy some eggs! There was a good number of guys fishing and paying there respect to Jim today. The best way is to go FISHING.
dewfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 04:47 PM   #21
legend jr.
Fry

Smile Re: Tales of Jim Erickson

this is Jim Erickson's grandson. I just got off the river where my grandfather drowned and am glad to say that there are still fish in there, minus one. I caught a very poetic and needed 8 lb hen today in memory of my grandfather, 100 yards above the log that took him. Thank you to all who have posted, and god bless you for your kindness. You don't know how much your postings have helped our family remember the good things the he did for this world. Thank you again.

Mac James Erickson
Old 12-30-2006, 05:24 PM   #22
sinkerhead

Mac, good for you. Was it as nice on the river today as it was here in Portland ? What a beautiful day !

I didn't know Jim personally, but when my uncle taught me how to Steelhead fish on the NFN in '77-'79, he used to say things like Erickson said to do this and that and to fish here and there. When fishing was good we always thought we had gotten there before Jim, and when it wasn't so good, it was probably because Erickson had been there before us. We always seemed to hook fish under the bridge or by the rocks in front of the house and if we ever saw anyone there they would always be helpful and encouraging. I'd like to say that even though I didn't know your grandfather, he has had a life lasting effect on my life of fishing for Salmon and Steelhead and enjoying our local rivers and their bounty. Good luck to you and RIP Jim Erickson. The legend lives on !
sinkerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 05:48 PM   #23
PapaHog
King Salmon

legend jr welcome to the ifish board. Congratulations on the fish. Your grandfather would have been proud of you.

Sorry about your loss.

Looking forward to many other fish stories from legend jr. The legend lives on.

Ken

Happiness is having someone to love, someone to love you and someone to hold hands with the final years of this journey.
PapaHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 06:10 PM   #24
wind troller
Chromer

I have many regrets in my life, now I have another one, this one is that I never got to meet Jim Erickson. From all the posts you all have shared he sounds like one of the outdoors finest, what a loss. Thank you all for sharing special moments in his life and yours, he sounds like a fine gentleman that likes to have fun and live life to it's fullest. My deepest sympathy to his family and friends,
tightlines.
Old 12-30-2006, 06:47 PM   #25
CMallardDrake
Chromer

As a wheelchair angler, I met Jim Erickson on the platform at NF Nehalem hatchery and spoke with him often during those days when I fished there in the early to mid '90s. He would many times come and give advice and display proven rigging techniques to those like me who he could see in an instant needed such. I still use a knot that he showed me with his words still ringing in my mind and at least half his statement holding true, "...this knot will never come undone...believe me...I've never told a lie..."

The hi-light of those days when I fished the NF Nehalem platform a lot was when Jim Erickson and several more of his fellow NW Steelheader guides took the time and much effort to float a bunch of us wheelchair anglers from the only spot we could fish to points beyond that we always wanted to see but figured we never would.

Man that was a good trip...a life time trip. Priceless...and yet free of charge. One wheelchair angler per raft with an experienced guide. I believe Dimi P. was in Jim's raft on that day and I can imagine the stories he heard while Jim manuevered waters with ease that made us platform maggots sit up tall and take notice. Hey...even Grant McOmie was along on that adventure and all of us WC anglers made his "Outdoors" segment and had our "few minutes of fame" on TV soon after. Jim Erickson didn't need the McOmie plug. He was already a legend.

My thoughts and prayers are with the Erickson family and those who were close to Jim. Your loss is very great. God be with you.

Sincerely...

Wes Soukkala
Warrenton, OR
Old 12-30-2006, 07:23 PM   #26
PhishKiller
Steelhead

Mac first off sorry for you and your families loss I am sorry for that. Your grandfather was a great man and a great fisherman the fishing community has lost a legend this week that can never be replaced.
Old 12-30-2006, 07:41 PM   #27
legend jr.
Fry

this is ken erickson. thank you all for your thoughts and prayers. i am not too good on these things - i dont have a computer of my own. my dad was pretty darn cool- i was so blessed to have him be the one to teach me a lot of the right values needed to be a decent human being. he was an old-school type of guy-called a spade a spade, and was very hard to pull anything over on him. he could see right thru a line of bull because he had probably used that line himself. i willmiss him alot-he was usually happy to see me whenever i would go see him and mom at there house, ready to listen to whatever drama i had going on in my life at the moment. i never fail to remember that there a lot of other people in this world who might not have had a person like him in their life. he really liked to teach others things and see them light up when something worked out just as he had said they would. one of the best lessons in life he taught me was the work ethic-if you wanted something nice, you went out and worked for it then you would appreciate what you had even more. we learned about teamwork and fair play on his little league ball team in the 60s, how to drive a vehicle at the jeep races in the 70s (cant believe we got our drivers license) and how to be semi-responsible young adults in the 80s and 90s. he was so proud of us and happy that he had made us into the strongly bonded family that we are today. i thank you dad, and will miss you alot. im proud to be your loving son! ken.
Old 12-30-2006, 08:21 PM   #28
legend jr.
Fry

this is ken erickson. thank you all for your thoughts and prayers. i am not too good on these things - i dont have a computer of my own. my dad was pretty darn cool- i was so blessed to have him be the one to teach me a lot of the right values needed to be a decent human being. he was an old-school type of guy-called a spade a spade, and was very hard to pull anything over on him. he could see right thru a line of bull because he had probably used that line himself. i willmiss him alot-he was usually happy to see me whenever i would go see him and mom at there house, ready to listen to whatever drama i had going on in my life at the moment. i never fail to remember that there a lot of other people in this world who might not have had a person like him in their life. he really liked to teach others things and see them light up when something worked out just as he had said they would. one of the best lessons in life he taught me was the work ethic-if you wanted something nice, you went out and worked for it then you would appreciate what you had even more. we learned about teamwork and fair play on his little league ball team in the 60s, how to drive a vehicle at the jeep races in the 70s (cant believe we got our drivers license) and how to be semi-responsible young adults in the 80s and 90s. he was so proud of us and happy that he had made us into the strongly bonded family that we are today. i thank you dad, and will miss you alot. im proud to be your loving son! ken.
Old 12-30-2006, 08:21 PM   #29
wack0
Chromer

Well. Jennie said we could tell all now so I would like to share my experiences with Jim. I fished a couple of times with him back in the 80's on guided trips. He taught me everything I know about bobber fishing for chinook on the lower Nehalem. He knew every hole , every snag and how to fish each and eveyone on a river that changes every year.
One time a buddy and I were headed down to do some fishing on the Nehalem in my old boat and we called Jim to see if would like to join us. He had the day off so he of course jumped at the opportunity to go do what he loved the most.
We picked him up on some dock near the confluence of the North Fork and the main stem Nehalem rivers. He had his lunch bucket, rod and a pile of eggs to offer up to the cause. He also brought along a piece of hardware that he used exclusively to "scare off" Cormorants. Anyone that had ever fished with Jim knew he did not like Cormorants and in his opinion, they were one of the leading caused of reduced salmon runs on the coastal rivers. So...lets just say he wanted to scare a few off the river while he fished.

We finally got tied up on a nice little spot Jim had shown me on a previous trip. As I recall the catching wasnt to good that day but the sun was out and weather was calm. Then all of a sudden, BLAM!!!! BLAM Blamm!!!! Jim was firing off rounds to scare off a group of comerants that had circled near by. Man! I thought I was going die. I'd have my back turned to him , concentrating on a twitch on my bobber when he'd blast off a few rounds. My buddy and I just kinda looked at each other and hoped he was as good with a shot-gun as he was with a fishing pole. Turned out he was. And for the record, he managed to scare off several that day.....

Anyway, I have thought about Jim several times since then. He was a great guy to know and I am privileged to have fished with him. He already knows a piece of Heaven because the North Fork Nehelam runs through it. My prayers are with the Ericson family.
Sincerely.
Jack McDonald
Hillsboro, Oregon
Old 12-30-2006, 08:21 PM   #30
Mad Mikey
Sturgeon

I have a great story of an experience with Jim and Larry Schoenborn many years ago, when I was dating my fiance.

I feel it appropriate to wait until Jim has been buried before I tell it though.

RIP, you old duffer.
Old 12-30-2006, 08:31 PM   #31
legend jr.
Fry

this is christi erickson, the owner of 'legend jr.'s account' and i would like to say and repeat a few good words for THE MAN. first off let me start by saying that every time me and grandpa went fishing together it was a time to remember.. he would always have a story about how this log go there and how many thousands of fish he had caught in this hole and whatnot. i know that pleanty of those stories were bs but i listened and was entertained all the same. he was the most amazing man in my life and i am prouder than words can convey to be blood related to him. he was literally a legend and will be remembered for many generations to come and forever if i have anything to say about it.. =) i would also like to say thank you so much for every single post on this fine excuse for a site. if you could only see the expression on all of jim's kid's and grandkid's faces [including my own] when we realized fully how much people had to say [good] about him! lol. some of the things that have been said have been just what we needed to hear.. thank you so much for that. and i assure you that they will all make it into a scrapbook somewhere.. probably into gayle's [the martha stewart wanna-be]. and last of all i would like to say how deeply sorry i am that we all had to lose such a great man, fisherman, grandfather, and friend. i am sure that whenever you all fish the north fork nehalem that you will think of him and i would like you all to do me a favor whenever you do. dedicate at least one cast or the whole trip to him. do it for me and the family. thank you very much. we will all miss him. christi. [or as grandpa always called me [CHRiSSY!].
Old 12-30-2006, 09:24 PM   #32
dawntildusk
Fry

I met Jim years ago. My friend and I had an old alumaweld (it was a brute to row) and we thought we were pretty good oarsmen. We knew the reputation of the upper North Fork but were young and brash and didnt think there was any water we couldnt handle. We arrived early at Jims one winter morning to get a shuttle but he was already on the river with a client in his drift boat (not the raft). Loretta told us she thought we could handle the river and if we needed help, Jim could show us the way through. So she shuttled us and we put in at the hatchery, looking forward to a great day of fishing. We moved down the river pretty quickly, working our way through the rock garden without any problem and then coming to the first big drop before you arrive at the Jack, Queen and King (of which we knew nothing at the time.) Well, we went over the drop (my friend was in the front and is close to 300 pounds) and it seemed like we were going to stand straight up on end. The river was pretty low and there must have been a good three feet of drop. A huge spray of water shot out on both sides as we went over the ledge, but we made it safely. Shortly thereafter, we caught up with Jim, anchored alongside him and opined as to how that had been an exciting ride down the river, but not all that bad. When Jim found out we had never been on the river before, he proceeded to explain that there were three big rapids ahead, that made the one we had just come over look pretty tame, that they were named the Jack, Queen and King and we better put on our life jackets before going any further. Needless to say, our hearts started pumping pretty fast, especially when we looked for the life jackets under the storage seat and realized we had left them at home. Well, believe it or nor, Jim gave us his and told us to follow him down the river, doing exactly as he did at each falls. The next 15 minutes were pure white knuckle time, rowing fast to keep up with Jim as he negotiated each of the falls. When we got over the last one, Jim was peacefully fishing below. We thanked him for the life jackets, told him we didnt feel much like fishing anymore and headed straight for the takeout. Ive been down the NF many times since, but never again in a hard bottom boat. I use a fourteen foot catacraft now (along with a Willies for the tamer rivers). I dont know whether Jim saved our lives that day or not, but I sure felt he was our guardian angel. Ive always wondered what he was telling his client about "those two idiots in the alumaweld without a clue". Now, my New Years resolution is to buy a good inflatable PFD that Ill actually wear. Who knows. . . . . maybe Jim will save my life again.
dawntildusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 07:43 AM   #33
Jennie@ifish
AdminiMom

I just wonder how many people are out there, not signed up on ifish that have a story to tell about Jim? I sure with they'd register and share it with us.

(hint hint)

I need more Jim stories right now! I just love reading them. It's all we have, now, so let's hear 'em.

J

Old 12-31-2006, 08:53 AM   #34
Jerry Dove

Jim has a real good friend by the name of Loren Parks. Loren has a few $$ and Jim always like to kid him about being to cheap to buy lunch. Well Loren is out of the US at the moment and it cost him $50.00 per two hours use of computer. I told Loren to get on Ifish. Can't you just see Jim laughing at his friend having to spend $$ to read stories about him. Loren will be here by Sat. Have a good laugh Jim you deserve it.
Jerry Dove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 08:29 PM   #35
legend jr.
Fry

this thread has been such a blessing and a comic relief [more or less] for us around the table. the whole family of kids and grandkids and his wife [loretta] love to read these stories and enjoy to hear more of them soon. if anyone knows someone that has a story but not a computer or an account on here please feel free to speak for someone. we dont want these new stories to end any time even near soon. thank you all again for you support. love, christi erickson.
Old 12-31-2006, 09:05 PM   #36
pablofeesh
Steelhead

i have been reading these stories everyday, i am sure envious of all of you who knew him. if i would have known of this man earlier i would have been fishing that river just for the chance to meet this man, i'm 23 and love to know people just like him, i'm very sad to hear what happened and i feel like i missed out by not knowing him, i am as avid as steelheaders come and i just wish i could have had one conversation with him so i could have a story to share with you all. i just lost a couple of good friends at sea a couple of weeks ago, but i am just as bummed about this man i never knew. thank you everyone for the stories, it makes me feel like i knew him. i hope he is reading this right now, maybe he will introduce himself on the other side, where the best steelhead tailouts are plentiful as well as fish.. hope the best for his family and all that knew him!
pablofeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 09:12 PM   #37
baitslinger
Chromer

Okay I gots 'to chime in too. I have chatted with Jim a few times a year for oh about the past 25 or so on the NFN among others. I can say he always had a tip to offer or a quick witted joke to share, made many an anglers day for sure! He gave this hitchhiker a ride back to my car a few times and only asked that I park his rig for him too (the suburban). I chatted with him just a few weeks earlier, he looked great, hard too believe for the last time?

A very fun person to be around and I would think he would tell you one his greatest contributions was the disabled fishing platform on the NFN. I think Cmallarddrakes post earlier pretty much sums up what kind of person Jim E. was...........thank you for sharing that, that was the kind of person that I/and so many others were fortunate enough to get to meet. God bless!
baitslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 09:41 PM   #38
rags
Ifish Nate

I like many others put my driftboat in behind Jim's house and was shuttled back in that little truck. You see I am 6'4". So it was little for my long legs. When we got back I was invited in for a cup of coffee. I just wish I would have known Jim and his wife better. I saw Jim several times fishing the jaws on the Nehalem just like the picture in this post. I would always tell my passengers "thats the famous Jim Erickson let's copy what he does." God bless you Jim for what you did on this earth and may God be with your family and give them strength.
rags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 12:30 AM   #39
dawgsalmon
Steelhead

Let me start by saying that I first met Jim on the South Fork Nehalem, back in the mid 70s. I had my own DB, but was fishing that day with Ed Lyster, another departed great guide.
They really didn't have much to say, directly to each other, just the normal fisherman greetings and BS. I have NO idea if they were friends or not, but the back and forth that day made me laugh out loud.
Ed said, " That d..n Erickson, he's a real good fisherman, but he talks too much" and " Don't ever let him get ahead of you, he will sore-mouth all the biters!" This from a guy that C&R'd about 20 Summer Runs on the Wilson one day, as I tried to hook a few behind him !

Ed Lyster, Nip Isenhart and Jim Erickson. 3 of my Coastal Fishing Mentors, etched in my memory !!

I live just downstream from Jim's Place and, apologies to the Grays, it will always be Jim's Place !

We have had some great races to *FIRST* water. Nothing irritated him more than me being out ahead of him on a day when he was sure he was first in I have an 8' Koffler Pram that I can slide in just about anywhere and it is perfect for this lower river. I would tease and yell at him all morning. I would tell him that I was going to sore-mouth every fish and he might as well pull out and go home.
I won't repeat his chosen words here, but once he got by me, he would block me and usually throw a bunch of water at me with an oar. He was pretty good at that.
We would bark at each other and laugh the whole time. Of course it was all in good fun and he ALWAYS got the last word !!
If I was bank fishing in front of my place (Blackberry), and he saw me from upriver, he would freespool all his line, maybe 200 yards or more, until his bobber was in my way or was right alongside where I was fishing.
Anything he thought he could do to irritate or get under your skin, just a little. If you didn't know him you might take offense but it was just Jim !

As others have said, he knew this river like no other !
KING of the NFN is not stretching it one bit !
Just about the time I thought I had it figured out he would take a fish from a spot that not only had I never thrown to but never even considered it !

I fish from the Hatchery down, about once or twice a year in my full size DB.
I remember launching behind Jim, before he had his raft. He told us that we wouldn't catch a fish 'cause he knew where they were, he would get the biters and we would get nothing !
Well, he wasn't far from right ... we got 2 and watched him catch 30 or more !
At one point my partner had to go to the bank for a nature call. When I pulled over to a spot where he could get out, Jim started yelling. He was far enough downstream that all we could make out was something about an anchor. Mine was down and well set so I figured he was just making sure the boat wouldn't get away from us. Later, he told me that he thought we were going to steal an anchor that he had stashed right there and hoped my buddy didn't do his *business* on it

The times that I launched my big boat at his place were always a major BS session, unless he wanted to get out front and then he would take off and have Loretta do the shuttle. I fish a lot with my Dawg (Border Collie that thinks she's a Black Lab) and I guess she was keeping him from messing with the boat and gear. One day he asked me if she would bite him. I told him NO ! That she really thinks she is people and since he was a fisherman he had to be OK.
Well, that was a mistake, cause he took off, his wife shuttled me and when I got to the boat, all 3 of my rigged rods had the line cut right at the reel
We fished around each other a lot in the S.Fork, too. He knew it pretty dang well but nothing like HIS river !

He was a lot more than just a good friend and fisherman.
He was a Great Husband, Father and Grandfather !
He loved kids and was a Foster father, involved in the Boy Scouts and Kids Sports.
And he always had the long term quality fishing for everyone, on his mind !

Yep, he was the Original Cast and BLAST !!
Another neighbor here refers to him as "Chainsaw Jim"
We agreed to dis-agree about a lot of fishing and sports related stuff, but he was a GOOD friend, and I miss him already !!!

I only hope that my family and friends will some day think as highly of me as do ALL of his !

RIP Jim Erickson, the world is a better place because you were in it !
Old 01-01-2007, 06:01 AM   #40
Jennie@ifish
AdminiMom

Hi Christi!!!!

I'll never forget when Christi and my sons, David and Andrew were little. (Much littler!) David, I think... had a crush on Christi. Christi was every young man's dream come true. Long, silky hair, slender, and cute as a button.

Anyhow, Jim used to tease David about that! Oh dang, did he tease! And, oh, Christi... how he loved you! He used to brag about what a wonderful fishing partner you were, to him. Said you could outfish everyone, and stay out longer than most men. Remember when I shuttled you two down the Nestucca? What great memories! You were a great pal to your Grandpa and he was so proud of you. Every time he talked about you, he just lit up. All the grandkids, really... He could talk a storm about his Grandkids.

When he spoke about Lorettta, though, his voice changed, and you could just tell that no man had ever loved a woman like Jim loved Loretta. I always thought Jim was a crusty old "wife school" type guy with little respect for women. He loved to joke about his "wife school" that he had on KATU.

Anyhow, when Loretta was ill, I have never in my life seen a strong, manly man change and turn into such a caring, sensitive creature. Man, oh man, did his life freeze when she was ill! He was so worried about Loretta, and for once in our lives, Bill and I saw through that gruff exterior to a man who had the softest heart of gold! Most women I know would die to have a man love them like that. He was worried sick and could do little, but talk about Loretta, from sunup to sundown.

He was also so proud of Lorettas new hearing. That's another thing that he never got tired of bragging about! He talked a blue streak about her implant and her recovery and even the littlest steps of progress she had made. New words! She can hear the birds, now! Etc...

I have saved all the e mails that Jim has written for years, now, so if anyone wants them... it will take a long time, and I'm sure Gayle has them... but if not, let me know, and I'll go through and put them into a book. It's e mails about the farm, the family, etc. He just cc'd me and I save all that. So, let me know if you want them.

Anyhow, it's good to see you here, Christi! I would love to see you soon. I'm so sad that it's under these conditions, though.

Many hugs, and keep on with the stories. I'm so afraid each time Jim's threads near the bottom of the page. I keep thinking, "That can't be all!" He had so many friends! I hope they register and write their stories. I've loved each and every one of them!

J

Old 01-01-2007, 06:41 AM   #41
Bill Monroe
King Salmon

I remember the Blackberry hole, too...

One day, Jim had Pilgrim and I out and we each had a fish between his house and the Blackberry Hole...in fact, his jaws were a tad tight since he was fishing, too, and hadn't had a bite...we got to the Blackberry hole and he told us to longline it...way, way down there...I told him there was someone fishing there and it didn't seem quite right...he just gave me that kind of upside-down nod, as if urging someone silently on...When the man saw our bobbers come by, look up and reel in to back off, Jim said "OK, that's good...let's go on down...We did...around the corner, he maneuvered the boat to where he could cast a spinner, told us to work bobbers down the other bank and proceeded to catch two steelhead behind a snag on a very unlikely looking ridge out in the middle.

Robert Service

Old 01-01-2007, 07:14 AM   #42
chromer
Chromer

One of a kind:

As previously posted the world is a better place because of Jim. He left a mark...a legacy. He had an impact...a positive one...and one that will be enjoyed by generations to come. We should all endeavor to have the same positive impact on our world as "Hustler Jim."

North Coast Salmon Rendezvous
chromer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 08:24 AM   #43
No Wishin Just Fishin
Ifish Nate

many years ago when there wasn't a road to the other side of the hatchery, another legend who has passed on, Bernie Theibert, talked me into the 2 mile walk thru the forrest trails. Bernie had caught about 5 and i was still skunked, when Jim Erickson came by on the river. I was by the falls and He winked at me and said the tailout on the far side holds fish and after He goes thru I should concentrate on it. About 15 minutes after He went thru, I hooked my first NFN steelhead and in the next 4 or 5 hours, 15 or 16 more. I will never forget that day!! The only day I ever outfished Bernie!! I have talked to Jim a few times since and always brought that day up and thanked him again. He always said,"No thanks needed just show other people how to fish". I have taken quite a few people fishing to many places since then and all because of the King of the NFN.

RIP Jim Erickson, you are one of the best.
Old 01-01-2007, 08:48 AM   #44
Jennie@ifish
AdminiMom

Jim used to tell me that the cutthroats come into the river when the blackberries are ripe. It's true! And not a day before!

Jen

Old 01-01-2007, 09:05 AM   #45
Grandpa Lynn
Chromer

I was fortunate to have made two trips down the North Fork with Jim, in that 'old' raft. All I can say, is "what a guy"! I feel extremely lucky to have met Jim, and to have had that opportunity. The first was the winter before he sold the house, and the 2nd was the fall after.. I to, have a set of those hand drawn maps. What a treasure those will be, for years to come.

After my 1st trip down with him, I got a call one day. He wanted to know if I could make a copy of the maps. It seems that he had given away his orginals, and hadn't saved a copy for himself.. But then, that's the type of guy Jim was.

Every turn in the river, and every rock, had a story to be told, and I was lucky to hear them all.

As we got ready to start the 1st time, we went into the storage area, and he sat me down, to 'check out' my equipment. I had told him that I wanted to learn to jig fish for steelhead. He proceeded to tell me that he felt fishing with a sandshrimp tail was a better way to go, but since I wanted to learn jig fishing, that's what we'd do.. He went into great detail on how to set up the float with a toothpick, so I could easily shorten the length, by merely pulling on the line. Both he and I spent the entire day fishing with jigs.. As we would near the next place to fish, he would tell me exactly how deep to set the jig, and exactly where to place the jig. Just above his house, he 'straightened the hook' on one.

When we got to his house, he invited me to come in and have lunch with he and Loretta. He proceeded to make sure I had plently to eat, and a nice cup of coffee to drink. He knew exactlly what time we would get there and told Loretta to watch for us, so the lunch would be ready.

A few weeks latter, I decided to fish the lower half of the river in my pontoon boat. Since I was by myself, I made sure that I put in and my shuttle was done, before Jim got back to the house for lunch. I wanted to be sure that I stayed in front of Jim, not because I was worried about him catching all the fish, but because I wanted a 'saftey net' behind me, in case I got into trouble. This time with sand shrimp. Unfortunately, the Cutt's like the sand shrimp too..

My second trip with Jim was the following October for Fall Chinooks. By this time, he had sold the house, so I met him at the Aldervale take out. That day, I learned how to back bounce eggs for Chinook.. I had brought some eggs with me, and he wanted me to dump them into a plastic container. Somehow, the eggs got some water in them, and the lemon joy container fell into them as well, mixing with the water and eggs. I poured out the water and Lemon Joy, as best I could and continued to fish with those eggs. Turns out they worked better than Jim's eggs. He decided that we'd stumbled onto a new 'trick' that he would have to try again.. Lemon Joy eggs.. He thought it was pretty cool, that he didn't have to hook all the fish, for me.. and hand off the rod..

When we got to his old house, we pulled in and he sent me up to the apple tree to get some apples. He told me that those were the best apples you could get in the fall, and we really needed some for the rest of the trip.

It took me quite a while to figure out that when he spoke about the South Fork of the Nehalem, what he really was talking about was the Nehalem main stem. I kept looking on a map, trying to figure out where the South Fork was. Somehow, I don't think he wanted to give the Main stem any more importance than the North Fork.. If ones the North Fork, then the other has to be the South Fork..

I only wish I could have made another trip with Jim, and 'donation to the NW Steelheaders'.. He was such a great guy!

Lynn Buerer
'Grandpa' (although I'm considerably younger than Jim)
Old 01-01-2007, 09:59 AM   #46
Bill Monroe
King Salmon

They just keep coming...

Jim's love of the old pearl Okie is legendary...Said he kept them in a safe so Mark wouldn't get to them...topped the list on his will, he said.
The newer Okies weren't the same and Jim could instantly tell the difference. His family knew to keep their hands off dad's Okies.

Years ago, Bob Toman gave me a couple or three dozen of them, knowing by reputation Jim's preferences.
Glenda, my wife, and I were heading over there to take pictures of Loretta's zillion hummingbirds, so I strung them on a necklace, which Glenda wore around her neck as we went into the house...I think Jim was on the can or something...
Loretta sat us down in the living room and we began chatting...suddenly, her eyes were riveted to Glenda's necklace...
She leaned over, looked my wife in the eyes and said solemnly:
"Do you have a gun?"

Of course it took Jim a few minutes to notice them, but bless his heart he just admired them without going after her with both hands..
Glenda took the necklace off and handed it to Jim...

Robert Service

Old 01-01-2007, 11:03 AM   #47
GoFish
Steelhead

Back in the late 1980's, Jim would come to Portland and go around visiting the Steelheader chapters giving talks about the problem of Cormorant predation on smolts. I was active in the Portland Chapter at the time and we ponyed up a $300 donation to him so he could buy shotgun shells to go out and harrass the Cormorants. I had this vision of him baby sitting the smolts with a 12 gauge in his lap. Never met another character like him. Crusty and irascible at times, but totally dedicated to salmon and steelhead. Irreplaceable man.
GoFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 12:05 PM   #48
PhoebusGroup
Steelhead

CMallardDrake's note reminded me of a letter
I wrote to Jim in 2002. It's about watching
a couple of fishers at the handicapped spot.

Here it is. jimerickson01.pdf

Also, Bill Monroe's note about those Okies
reminded me of a time when Loretta gave
me one, saying, "Just don't tell Jim."

When I showed the Okie to Jim Nielsen
at the Wheeler Marina, he said, "I budget
myself one of those a year. Keep that one,
it's special."

Kind regards to all,
Old 01-01-2007, 08:01 PM   #49
Hooker
Chromer

I grew up fishing the North Fork Nehalem and caught my first steelhead there. Never will I forget all those cold winter mornings when Jim would float by in the old raft. He always had something to say to all of us "bank Maggots".

One year I decide to book a trip with Jim. I remember calling him the night before and he told me to be at his house on the county line by 7am the next morning. "The water looks good for the upper river", he said. We had postponed a couple trips already due to low water so I was pumped!

I show up at Jim and Loretta's place at 7am sharp ready to go. I didn't see any lights on so I park my truck and throw on my waders to save some time, just in case Jim was waiting and ready to go. I make it over the the front door and knock on the door. I wait a minute or two and knock again....finally a light flicks on and I hear movement. Here comes Jim wearing his sleeping clothes with his hair sticking straight up, half asleep as the door opens. First thing he said to me was, "it's way too early for the fish to be biting. Take your waders off and come on in". At first I was thinking what in the heck was going on? I want to get on the river!

The next hour or so Jim, Loretta, and I had time to eat a nice bowl of oatmeal, read the newspaper, and talk plenty of fishing stories. It's funny. They had no idea who I was or where I came from but the sure made me feel right at home. Some of the stories that came out of that man were amazing to say the least. So much history.

I don't think we got to the put-in until about 8:30am or so. Right about the time that the fish start biting according to Jim . We hooked a few fish on our drift down to his place. I never knew anyone who knew a river so well.

Jim wasn't all about getting style points. He didn't have the nicest high tech gear. He was so rough on the outside. But Jim was more than that. I saw the way he helped the guys on the platform. I saw help he gave to other fisherman on the river. I saw what he did for the North Fork.

I'am honored to have met a true legend. Thank you, Jim.

Larry (Bank Maggot), it was nice hearing from you. Hope you and Patsy are doing well.

Jason Davies
Old 01-02-2007, 08:54 AM   #50
North Fork
Fry

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgsalmon View Post
Let me start by saying that I first met Jim on the South Fork Nehalem, back in the mid 70s. I had my own DB, but was fishing that day with Ed Lyster, another departed great guide.
They really didn't have much to say, directly to each other, just the normal fisherman greetings and BS. I have NO idea if they were friends or not, but the back and forth that day made me laugh out loud.
Ed said, " That d..n Erickson, he's a real good fisherman, but he talks too much" and " Don't ever let him get ahead of you, he will sore-mouth all the biters!" This from a guy that C&R'd about 20 Summer Runs on the Wilson one day, as I tried to hook a few behind him !

Ed Lyster, Nip Isenhart and Jim Erickson. 3 of my Coastal Fishing Mentors, etched in my memory !!

I live just downstream from Jim's Place and, apologies to the Grays, it will always be Jim's Place !

We have had some great races to *FIRST* water. Nothing irritated him more than me being out ahead of him on a day when he was sure he was first in I have an 8' Koffler Pram that I can slide in just about anywhere and it is perfect for this lower river. I would tease and yell at him all morning. I would tell him that I was going to sore-mouth every fish and he might as well pull out and go home.
I won't repeat his chosen words here, but once he got by me, he would block me and usually throw a bunch of water at me with an oar. He was pretty good at that.
We would bark at each other and laugh the whole time. Of course it was all in good fun and he ALWAYS got the last word !!
If I was bank fishing in front of my place (Blackberry), and he saw me from upriver, he would freespool all his line, maybe 200 yards or more, until his bobber was in my way or was right alongside where I was fishing.
Anything he thought he could do to irritate or get under your skin, just a little. If you didn't know him you might take offense but it was just Jim !

As others have said, he knew this river like no other !
KING of the NFN is not stretching it one bit !
Just about the time I thought I had it figured out he would take a fish from a spot that not only had I never thrown to but never even considered it !

I fish from the Hatchery down, about once or twice a year in my full size DB.
I remember launching behind Jim, before he had his raft. He told us that we wouldn't catch a fish 'cause he knew where they were, he would get the biters and we would get nothing !
Well, he wasn't far from right ... we got 2 and watched him catch 30 or more !
At one point my partner had to go to the bank for a nature call. When I pulled over to a spot where he could get out, Jim started yelling. He was far enough downstream that all we could make out was something about an anchor. Mine was down and well set so I figured he was just making sure the boat wouldn't get away from us. Later, he told me that he thought we were going to steal an anchor that he had stashed right there and hoped my buddy didn't do his *business* on it

The times that I launched my big boat at his place were always a major BS session, unless he wanted to get out front and then he would take off and have Loretta do the shuttle. I fish a lot with my Dawg (Border Collie that thinks she's a Black Lab) and I guess she was keeping him from messing with the boat and gear. One day he asked me if she would bite him. I told him NO ! That she really thinks she is people and since he was a fisherman he had to be OK.
Well, that was a mistake, cause he took off, his wife shuttled me and when I got to the boat, all 3 of my rigged rods had the line cut right at the reel
We fished around each other a lot in the S.Fork, too. He knew it pretty dang well but nothing like HIS river !

He was a lot more than just a good friend and fisherman.
He was a Great Husband, Father and Grandfather !
He loved kids and was a Foster father, involved in the Boy Scouts and Kids Sports.
And he always had the long term quality fishing for everyone, on his mind !

Yep, he was the Original Cast and BLAST !!
Another neighbor here refers to him as "Chainsaw Jim"
We agreed to dis-agree about a lot of fishing and sports related stuff, but he was a GOOD friend, and I miss him already !!!

I only hope that my family and friends will some day think as highly of me as do ALL of his !

RIP Jim Erickson, the world is a better place because you were in it !
That's alright, I've always referred to it as Erickson's place. In fact, everytime that Jim and I would speak, I'd refer to it as his place. Once I told him I'd meet him at his place and he waited at his new house and I was at the old place. Jim finally said to me "stop calling it my place, it yours" because we kept getting screwed up. At some point my plan is to make it into a fishing lodge and call it Erickson's Lodge. I even have the signs made up. I showed them to Jim one day and he was a proud papa so to speak. This year I'll have some kind of memorial stone, or something of the sort made, and installed at the house by the ramp. If anyone is interested in making the trip down in the next couple of months let me know or I'll be fishing by myself a lot.......................Tim Gray
North Fork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 02:35 PM   #51
Jennie@ifish
AdminiMom

Is the note still on the door saying to bring some wood in with you, when you come?

I'll miss him bringing me applesauce from Park's place.

Also, we'd have him over. He always sat at the same place at the kitchen table. No matter what it was that I brought out to eat, he'd eat it all! I'd be so proud to serve him something I'd cooked that had taken hours. I'd ask him how it was and he'd say, "Oh, it'll make a poop." (Not in those words, of course.)

Makes me laugh, right now... just hearing it.

He'd grouch about our railings or lack thereof, on the stairs... and then he'd go on and on about Loretta and all the new things she'd heard with her new implant in her ear. He loved her so much. I'd never seen a man love his wife so much! It was Loretta this, and Loretta that, all the time! Every trip down the river! Every morning at coffee! He was so proud of his relationship with her. I'm so glad that they got to go to Hawaii together! That was a dream come true!

Oh, and Tripod.. So sad that they lost their three legged dog. It's sure been a tough year for alot of people.

He and Loretta helped us, and taught Bill and I to can tuna. We'd get the fish and he'd help us can it, and we'd split it up.

I helped him with the computer. (Over and over and over again.)

He'd help Bill with electrical things and motor things.

I'll never forget when Jim made me back up the crummy to back his boat in before I had a clue how to do it! He just kept at me until I did it! He also taught me how to cast a level wind reel. He was so patient. I was so awful at it at first!

Remember this page?

Jim Sez!

Man, that was ages ago!

Jen

Old 01-02-2007, 05:39 PM   #52
Pete
Administrator

I'd completely forgotten the "Jim Sez" page. That was a long time ago! Fun to remember it now.

Report Game Violations!

Washington: 1 877 933-9847

Oregon: 1 800 452-7888
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 05:45 PM   #53
Jennie@ifish
AdminiMom

If you look at the page source, it says:

Quote:
<!--last modified on Wednesday, March 01, 2000 04:28 PM -->
That's one page I wish I'd have kept up on!!!

Old 01-02-2007, 09:13 PM   #54
Pete
Administrator

Lots of history there ... I wonder what Jim might have said if he'd kept up with it.

Report Game Violations!

Washington: 1 877 933-9847

Oregon: 1 800 452-7888
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 09:45 PM   #55
eagle1
Chromer

Back in the late 1980's, we were fishing the nfn in what i call the gorge from the bank, we found a hot spot that looked real fishey, so i made a rope ladder to climb down the cliff. we were fishing and i said i think i hear someone drifting down above us, so we are casting into the hole and around the corner come's "sir jim in a raft and he look's at us and said how did you guy's get here without a boat and i point to the rope ladder and jim said good luck, you are fishing my #1 spot. I just put a new fir tree in sir jim's name at the front of my yard in my new house in nehalem. When i go fishless for more than two day's, i will stand in front of the tree and ask "sir jim" what i'm i doing wrong.
eagle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 05:50 AM   #56
SEAWEED PETE
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crayfin View Post
I remeber one time when I was fishing just below Jack Falls. I had walked in for a ways and had already hooked and released several fish. Jim was floating by with a client and had said that they had a few. As he was giving us a wide bearth he happen to float right next to the opposite bank in about a foot of water. All of a sudden he said--Holy Cow there must be 20 steelies laying right here!! He pulled over and directed me where to cast and I proceeded to put a pounding on them--he never cast in there once That spot has produced an absolute ton of fish for me as it is a spot almost no one would ever think a fish would lay.

So hears to you Jim thanks for a sneaky little spot that is still paying out
About 30 years ago the exact same thing happend to me, different spot but Jim pointed the pod of fish out to us we all got our limit . I have a few more I will share later, like sneaking onto the family property below the hatchery and getting busted by mark and Jim:blush:
Thank you Jim
Old 01-03-2007, 12:17 PM   #57
PapaHog
King Salmon

I for one really enjoy these "Tales of Jim Erickson". I am sure there others reading this that have good stories about Jim.

If your not a ifish member and would like to post a story it is easy to become a member. Your membership would be welcome and your stories would be treasured.

I am sure other ifishers have stories and even those that have posted stories have yet untold stories that would be welcome by all.

Happiness is having someone to love, someone to love you and someone to hold hands with the final years of this journey.
Old 01-03-2007, 12:22 PM   #58
Geemo
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaHog View Post
I for one really enjoy these "Tales of Jim Erickson". I am sure there others reading this that have good stories about Jim.

If your not a ifish member and would like to post a story it is easy to become a member. Your membership would be welcome and your stories would be treasured.

I am sure other ifishers have stories and even those that have posted stories have yet untold stories that would be welcome by all.

Geemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 04:13 PM   #59
PapaHog
King Salmon

Lets hear some more stories.............PLEASE

Old 01-03-2007, 04:16 PM   #60
maco
Fry

Just testing to see if this works. This is Jim's grandson, Mac.
maco is offline   Reply With Quote