Smelt for sale - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Archives > Ifish 2001 archives

Old 01-19-2001, 08:09 AM   #1
Pilar
Mr. Carkington

Default Smelt for sale

Saw it this morning. Is anyone else tired of paying GI Joes a bunch of money for 6 or 7 smelt?

Well , don't do it then. Go to Food for Less at 79th and Powell and pay a lot less. 1 to 2 lb packs of fresh frozen Columbia R. smelt for sale. Great price too. They've got a bunch! These guys also have Atlantic Salmon heads and Halibut trim for crab bait. Well they did anyway, I was there this morning, Crab tonight!!

The bend is your friend!

Old 01-19-2001, 04:09 PM   #2
aye fsh
Steelhead

Default Re: Smelt for sale

Found the same thing at one of the local markets in corvallis. $1.50 gets you about 6 - 8 of the 8 - 9 inchers. Any body know any commercial guys to buy from? Would love to buy about a hundred pounds at $1.69 per!

------------------
ayefsh,there4ayeam

#149 to #109, AAaarhuughh...?
aye fsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2001, 10:49 AM   #3
Ed
Coho

Aye Fish,

I live Corvallis. Could you tell me which market had the smelt? Please.
Thanks
Ed
Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2001, 02:23 PM   #4
Fishplay
Ifish Nate

Imagine That! And I just told a friend that the demand for smelt as sturg bait would drive the price to the point of prohibiting its sale for consumption. Some one inlighten me. Why would you eat smelt when you could be eating sturgeon?

------------------
FISH!........GET IN THE BOAT!!!!!

Member #472

Trophy 2059 Hardtop (BrineTime)
Fishplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2001, 09:28 PM   #5
aye fsh
Steelhead

Hey Ed,
Don't want it getting around, but it starts with an "R" and ends with an "itcheys"! They have them sporadically and it will range from $0.99 - $1.99. Have requested the guys in the meat dept to contact me about maybe putting in a special order on a quantity, interested? drop me an email. I have also procured from Cub and have a friend working on the fish monger at safeway. contact me and I'll let you know how it pans out.

------------------
ayefsh,there4ayeam

#149 to #109, AAaarhuughh...?
aye fsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2001, 12:02 AM   #6
fishchaser
Ifish Nate

Two years ago a store just up from me, who has inconvieniatly shut down, got in some Copper River smelt which was going for $1.28 a pound. I bought 70 lbs and paid less than I did for all the Smelt I bought 3 years ago down at the coast for a whopping $10.00 a pound. Yes that's right $10.00 for 5 - 6 fish.

That bait is the best stuff I have ever bought. We have been using this year too, along with what we caught last year in the Cowlitz. I have boated a 44" one week the next I boat a 47". My friend goes out on Thurday and picks up a 44" and one of the guys who went with him landed a 52"

The stuff we bought from Fisherman's didn't have the juices of a fresh or just caught smelt. They have processed it and cleaned them up for a clean looking vacumed pac of dead fish that has no smell to it. Sturgeon feed by smell.

With all the smelt we bought and caught We vaucum packed all of it ourselves and are catching fish left and right. As soon as we try the stuff commercially pacaged the bite shuts off.
Member # 496
fishchaser is offline   Reply With Quote