Gold Panning/ camping around Grants Pass/Medford - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Life in General

Old 04-02-2006, 06:23 PM   #1
seadog
Steelhead

Default Gold Panning/ camping around Grants Pass/Medford

We are planning a family camping trip and want to do a little gold panning. We are headed down by Grants Pass/Medford area, I've never camped down there and was wondering if anyone had any good ideas on places to go? There will be 2 families with Pickup/Camper combos. Would like to find places without a lot of people, we aren't looking for campgrounds, more like hunting camps along creeks or something. Any Ideas??

Old 04-02-2006, 07:20 PM   #2
baltz526
King Salmon

Default Re: Gold Panning/ camping around Grants Pass/Medford

do you have panning tubs,
Old 04-02-2006, 07:33 PM   #3
seadog
Steelhead

Default Re: Gold Panning/ camping around Grants Pass/Medfo

Yes, we have pans but really are pretty much novices.
Old 04-02-2006, 09:01 PM   #4
Straydog
King Salmon

Check out this link. Josephine Co. Parks

Down at Ennis Riffle, Indian Mary and Almeda, there is good panning. Almeda is more primitive than Indian Mary and Ennis is just a long gravel/sand bar.

There are several good panning areas in and around some of the local creeks as well, such as Galice Creek, Taylor Creek and Grave Creek.
Straydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 06:19 AM   #5
baltz526
King Salmon

a simple panning tub: buy a cheep set of sawhorse brackets, cut the legs to be 18" to 24" off the ground for top rail, cut 2 48" 2x6. then buy a cheap stock water tub. put it on your sawhorse table, fill with water, pan. and save your back. it also minimizes the debris disturbed in the creek. better for fish. you will need some good 5gal buckets for water and your gravel. a big pry bar is handy also for moving larger rocks
Old 04-03-2006, 07:58 AM   #6
ORrinker
Steelhead

My great grandfather had a mine up off the Rogue. If I remember right it was up Mule creek out of Tucker Flat campground. I hiked in there about 25 years ago and there were lots of cool stuff that he left there. Old whiskey bottles were the most interesting. I don't know how much is still there. Tucker Flats campground if I remember right is fairly primitive. Might be fun to look around there and I bet there are some good panning spots too.

Randy
Old 04-03-2006, 09:04 AM   #7
jvp
Sturgeon

Quote:
My great grandfather had a mine up off the Rogue. If I remember right it was up Mule creek out of Tucker Flat campground. I hiked in there about 25 years ago and there were lots of cool stuff that he left there. Old whiskey bottles were the most interesting. I don't know how much is still there. Tucker Flats campground if I remember right is fairly primitive. Might be fun to look around there and I bet there are some good panning spots too.

Randy
some of those mining claims are still in use and some people get a bit upset. so be sure where you are. stick to the rogue gravel areas and you s/b ok.