Buying a Smoker- Traeger or Little Chief - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifishers Recipes!

Old 08-24-2011, 09:56 AM   #1
Theblindsquirrel
Steelhead

Default Buying a Smoker- Traeger or Little Chief

I am considering buying a smoker. I was looking at Treggors and saw that they have the ability to easily switch from a BBQ to a smoker. Has anyone smoked with Treggor? How do you like it? I hear they are killer BBQ's.
Theblindsquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 10:26 AM   #2
GarySt
Steelhead

Default Re: Buying a Smoker- Treggor or Little Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theblindsquirrel View Post
I am considering buying a smoker. I was looking at Treggors and saw that they have the ability to easily switch from a BBQ to a smoker. Has anyone smoked with Treggor? How do you like it? I hear they are killer BBQ's.
There's been lots of comments on Treggor's on this site, you might want to do a search. It seems like it's the one to get if your serious about BBQ/Smoking and can spend the money. Someday I hope to have one, but for now the Big Chief does the job. If you're new to smoking, then you might want to start with the Chief, they are inexpensive at Bi-Mart type stores (I also see some at Garage Sales every now and then). Good luck, smoke 'em up.
GarySt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 12:58 PM   #3
fishkid2

Our Traeger is on of our greatest investments. I love it. I can smoke salmon perfectly one day and cook a mouth watering tri tip the next.
fishkid2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 02:08 PM   #4
Best Fishes
Chromer

I have had very good luck smoking salmon with my Traeger. My Big tex stays between 158 and 163 degress on smoke. I have found that pinks, coho and humpies take about 4 hours to smoke.
Get smoker going about 15 minutes before you put fish on so the temperature drops down to 160 and is steady. When you first get smoker going it goes up to about 275 degrees since there are more pellets in the system than is needed.

Best Fishes
Best Fishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 10:48 AM   #5
Hookachinook
Steelhead

I have both a Traeger and a Big Chief smoker and have smoked lots of fish with each. I actuallly prefer the Big Chief for smoking and the Traeger for BBQing, etc. The reason for this is that, IMHO, the Traeger burns too hot, even on the lowest setting and has a tendency to dry out the fish too much and too fast. In addition, there more flavor from the smoke chips available for the Big Chief.There is a "learning" curve with the Traeger but is nice in other ways. Good luck!
Old 09-05-2011, 05:46 AM   #6
Smoke It
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookachinook View Post
I have both a Traeger and a Big Chief smoker and have smoked lots of fish with each. I actuallly prefer the Big Chief for smoking and the Traeger for BBQing, etc. The reason for this is that, IMHO, the Traeger burns too hot, even on the lowest setting and has a tendency to dry out the fish too much and too fast. In addition, there more flavor from the smoke chips available for the Big Chief.There is a "learning" curve with the Traeger but is nice in other ways. Good luck!
Hookachinook, the temp is adjustable on a Traeger (if you have a digital)where as with the chief it a guessing game
Smoke It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 08:46 AM   #7
SlamminSalmon69
Tuna!

Quote:
Traeger's are cerainly the cadillacs when it comes to grills/smokers, or at the very least, they are PRICED like cadillacs.

I will keep my commets limited to just the smoking aspect of things since that is specifically what you asked about. Additionally, I am not sure what your skill level/experience is with smoking things so I will assume since you are asking, you are relatively new to it.

Personally, from a cost/benefit standpoint I highly recommend the Masterbuilt 30" digital electric smoker. It makes smoking most anything about as easy and error free as can be. It is insulated (think small mini fridge) unlike the Big Chief/Little Chief so smoking in cold weather is not that big of a deal. I did some pork loins in mine this winter with the smoker sitting outside in a inch of snow and temps down around freezing. It hummed right along at 225 like nothing was wrong. You would play heck trying to keep a Lil chief up to temp in those conditions without making some sort of insulator or smoking indoors. (not recommended.)

I have smoked pork loins, ribs, turkeys, pork shoulders, bacon, and cheese all with no issues. now, to "cold smoke" things like bacon and cheese you will need to get an additional little deally to do that. There are a few self made and store bought options available and i tried a few home made ways before settling on a thing called an Amazing Smoker to use for cold smoking. it is basically just a little tray of expanded steel that you use wood dust in to produce smoke without raising the temp inside the smoker significantly.

Temperature is controlled via a digital thermostat. just set the temp and time and you're good to go. no constant monitoring/adjusting of temperatures needed. Also, it uses just straight up wood chips you can buy most anywhere for a few bucks a bag. no expensive pellets or pucks. One tray of chips gives me enough smoke to do just about anything I have wanted to do so far. Early on I used to add more and more chips...but pretty much just ended up wasting them and overloading the chip tray. lol.

I paid about $150.00 for mine..waaay less expensive than the similar Bradley Smoker with all the same features (minus using the expensive pucks)

Here is the downside....

I don't think you can get the same model i have anymore as it was discontinued in favor of a "new and improved" version. I got mine from Amazon and it took a few weeks to ship (free), but it was worth the wait.

I know plenty of people that run the "Chiefs" and turn out some really amazing smoked products. I know a few people that own tragers and rave about them like they are part of the family (which makes sense since the cost of ownership is similar to the cost of having a child..lol) I am all about Value and Ease of Use.

Also, search around for forums/communities that are centered around smoking. I belong to one, but don't think i can post it without calling down the wrath of the almighty MODS. I may suggest just putting this is your search... "Smoking Meat Forums" There are tons of posts from guys that live/eat/breath smoking/grilling regarding which smoker to use. The Master Built has quite a following among the simple users that don't run $10,000 custom/professional grade smokers. lol.

Good Luck!!!!!
Old 08-26-2011, 11:52 AM   #8
Amahnee
King Salmon

Take a look at Green Mouontain Grills... That's the one I'm gonna get...

Better quality than the Traeger too!
Amahnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 04:54 PM   #9
foxer
Sturgeon

I love my Traeger for everything but searing. It just doesnt really get hot enough.
foxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 05:26 PM   #10
the flyman
Chromer

I've been using a Brinkman, charcoal with water pan for over 20 years. Smokes fish perfectly. Same cost as a Chief smoker and in my opinion better. If you need a brine recipe PM me.

If you must smoke: SMOKE SALMON!

the flyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 06:17 PM   #11
Bloom
Tuna!

If you want to have a little fun, have the time and want to end up with a finer smoker, get a sheet of 1/2 or 3/4 " plywood, build a box and line it with thin sheet metal, add a $15.00 hot plate, 4 oven racks from the local thrift shop and you are good to go.

I recently found a stainless food service cart that i made into a smoker. Total cost: $15.00 for the hotplate, an old Penn reel that i traded for the cart and $12.00 for some wheels. I did buy some pipe and cut a hole in the side so i could do some cold smoking.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4451.jpg (183.6 KB, 206 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4450.jpg (196.5 KB, 203 views)
Old 10-02-2011, 05:54 AM   #12
bigjnemo
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by the flyman View Post
I've been using a Brinkman, charcoal with water pan for over 20 years. Smokes fish perfectly. Same cost as a Chief smoker and in my opinion better. If you need a brine recipe PM me.

If you must smoke: SMOKE SALMON!

x 2 for the brinkman
bigjnemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 03:09 PM   #13
chuck combs
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlamminSalmon69 View Post
Traeger's are cerainly the cadillacs when it comes to grills/smokers, or at the very least, they are PRICED like cadillacs.

I will keep my commets limited to just the smoking aspect of things since that is specifically what you asked about. Additionally, I am not sure what your skill level/experience is with smoking things so I will assume since you are asking, you are relatively new to it.

Personally, from a cost/benefit standpoint I highly recommend the Masterbuilt 30" digital electric smoker. It makes smoking most anything about as easy and error free as can be. It is insulated (think small mini fridge) unlike the Big Chief/Little Chief so smoking in cold weather is not that big of a deal. I did some pork loins in mine this winter with the smoker sitting outside in a inch of snow and temps down around freezing. It hummed right along at 225 like nothing was wrong. You would play heck trying to keep a Lil chief up to temp in those conditions without making some sort of insulator or smoking indoors. (not recommended.)

I have smoked pork loins, ribs, turkeys, pork shoulders, bacon, and cheese all with no issues. now, to "cold smoke" things like bacon and cheese you will need to get an additional little deally to do that. There are a few self made and store bought options available and i tried a few home made ways before settling on a thing called an Amazing Smoker to use for cold smoking. it is basically just a little tray of expanded steel that you use wood dust in to produce smoke without raising the temp inside the smoker significantly.

Temperature is controlled via a digital thermostat. just set the temp and time and you're good to go. no constant monitoring/adjusting of temperatures needed. Also, it uses just straight up wood chips you can buy most anywhere for a few bucks a bag. no expensive pellets or pucks. One tray of chips gives me enough smoke to do just about anything I have wanted to do so far. Early on I used to add more and more chips...but pretty much just ended up wasting them and overloading the chip tray. lol.

I paid about $150.00 for mine..waaay less expensive than the similar Bradley Smoker with all the same features (minus using the expensive pucks)

Here is the downside....

I don't think you can get the same model i have anymore as it was discontinued in favor of a "new and improved" version. I got mine from Amazon and it took a few weeks to ship (free), but it was worth the wait.

I know plenty of people that run the "Chiefs" and turn out some really amazing smoked products. I know a few people that own tragers and rave about them like they are part of the family (which makes sense since the cost of ownership is similar to the cost of having a child..lol) I am all about Value and Ease of Use.

Also, search around for forums/communities that are centered around smoking. I belong to one, but don't think i can post it without calling down the wrath of the almighty MODS. I may suggest just putting this is your search... "Smoking Meat Forums" There are tons of posts from guys that live/eat/breath smoking/grilling regarding which smoker to use. The Master Built has quite a following among the simple users that don't run $10,000 custom/professional grade smokers. lol.

Good Luck!!!!!
I love mine too
chuck combs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 02:52 PM   #14
salmon718
Tuna!

Default Re: Buying a Smoker- Traeger or Little Chief

Not much experience with the Traeger. Grown up using Little Chief and later the Big Chief. Both are great smokers and affordable. Last year went with the Masterbuilt 30 and love it.
salmon718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 04:54 PM   #15
cali boy
Steelhead

don't buy the little chief. it's too small. buy the big one. learn from my mistake.
cali boy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 05:57 PM   #16
Sndslgr
Chromer

Smoke Daddy added to a Traeger and you control how much smoke goes in. Plus you can do cheese, real jerky, bacon etc... In this video the Traeger is not even plugged in, smoke is all from the SD.

Sndslgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 11:39 PM   #17
Umpqua Hunter
Steelhead

Quote:
When I decided to get a pellet grill I did a bunch of research. I got the Green Mountain grill about two years ago. We love it. It has a digital temperature controller and can be set in 5 degree increments from 150 F to 500F. One of the best purchases I have ever made.
Umpqua Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 06:45 PM   #18
Stromith
Steelhead

to get a traeger you need to have lots of time to get the best results. you need to always be monitering the temp. but it really pays off in the flavor. its not like a gas grill that just start and go
Stromith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 07:03 PM   #19
elkhunter338
Chromer

I would buy a little cheif for smoking fish and a smoke hollow propane smoker (smaller one) from Bi-mart. they sell for $99 on sale for $79

I just got a smoke hollow from bi-mart, makes great ribs, chicken (whole and cut up) and turkey and such. Guy at work says also does great pork butts for pulled pork sandwich. My wife just got me about 10 pounds pork butts, going on the smoker saturday.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf turkey.pdf (279.0 KB, 25 views)
elkhunter338 is offline   Reply With Quote