IFish Fishing Forum banner

Father & Son camp/fish out...pics

3K views 21 replies 18 participants last post by  fishlipper 
#1 Ā· (Edited)
Just wanted to pass on what a great time I had with my son Kohl "Bear"...we took a 2 day float and camped out on the Klickitat River on Monday and Tuesday...what a great time we had...we fly fished...we swam...we gear fished for chinook...we camped out...at night instead of counting sheep to try and sleep we counted how many Chinook were rolling in the hole right in front of our camp...

I have attached a few photos to share...we have decided to make this a yearly thing...right before my busy guiding schedule...I would encourage any of you to take the time to take your son/daughters fishing/camping...sometimes life gets in the way...we get too busy (or so we think) to do something like this...I guide for a living and often times the last thing I want to do on a couple of days off is go "Fishing"...I know, I know...is he out of his mind...after 17 years of making a living doing it...unless the fishing is really good...I don't really want to go fishing...

BUT...my focus was wrong...it wasn't about me and if I wanted to go fishing...it was about a 6 year old beggin his Papa (you gotta love that)...to take him fishing...he was so excited...told all of his neighborhood friends...helped get everything ready...he was really into it!...He help put things back into perspective for me...in "My" tiredness, in "My" selfishness, in "My" desire to do something else...I was robbing my son of a blessing of spending time with his Papa on a beautiful river...enjoying God's creation..."What was I thinkin?!"...

I enjoyed it soo much, we are going to do this several times throughout the year...my 6 year old son...has renewed my passion not only for fishing but for quality, unhindered, unreplaceable, unforgettable time with my son...tomorrow is NEVER promised...live and love like today is your last!...

See less See more
#6 Ā·
rola76,

We fished Stinsin to Ice House...we really didn't fish that hard...mainly floated and let him cast his 2wt fly rod for trout...it didn't matter...the best thing was at the end...when I told him we were at the Ice House and had to take out and go home...he was very sad...he said he loved the river and wanted to do it all over again....NOICE!

#9 Ā·
What a great memory to make....Thanks for sharing.....I might have to try an overnight drift trip, sounds like fun..

#13 Ā·
Great job Jig with you and your son "Bear". one of my favorite times fishing with one of my sons was on the Hoh River on the Olympic Peninsula. It was a wednesday and the forcast was for heavy rain. Well, a little rain (3 1/2" that day) wasn't gong to stop us. We dressed in our best waterproof cloths and hit the river. Well, it wasn't long before two poles got hard take downs that were big fish Around 35lbs. ea. With two nice chinook in the boat, we turn to casting spinners into Silvery looking hole sand hook up almost immediately. First Coho on gets handed off to my son. This was a very fresh and a lively fish. My son is doing his best to fight the fish but hasn't had any expereince with salmon. My son Jacob was wearing an Aussie style hat that has a draw string for around the neck. As he is fishting this fish, the draw string get caught up in the real and starts to wind up to his chin.:grin: Next thing we know, with this very fresh fish rolling, running, jumping and doing all the cool things Coho do, my sons chin is bouncing off the reel duo to the fact that he reeled his chin strap into the reel. You would have to be there to appreciate the comedy of it. Looking over to see your son's head bouncing off a reel while the fish is going crazy trying to get free.:laugh:

We were able to get the chin strap out and he was able to land his first salmon.:yay:Fortunalty, we ended up hooking quite a few more and he was looking like pro by the end of the day. Although he probably weighed an extra 50 lbs. due to all the warm weather and rain gear we had on him, not to mention his PFD.

Stories of people taking their families out fishing are the best.!!!

#19 Ā·
Thanks to all for your kind words...from now on I am going to make it a point to get him out as often as I can...he told me today when I was getting ready for the next few drift boat trips that I have...that he wishes he could go with me every single day...little does he know...that day is coming...when he is old enough I am planning on using him as a bait boy...if he still wants to do it when the time comes...I LOVE IT!

Kyle...the boat did sell!...we gotta get together sometime maybe this winter and steelhead fish!

Snagged...I encourage you to take him and go..just go...he will thank you for it...

negoc8...he is forbidden to date until he gets married ...too many rivers to fish.."Ca'MoN!" :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.