IFish Fishing Forum banner

Bobber Line for Steelhead?

18K views 23 replies 20 participants last post by  fishkid2 
#1 ·
People,
I am getting a second pole and reel for steelhead fishing. I am getting tired of having to change rigging on one pole. My new pole and reel is going to be strictly for bobber fishing for steelhead. What kind of mainline would be best for it?
Thank you for any response. Have a nice day!
Beaverboy

#3 ·
I have and like 20 lb. test Fireline on my bobber setup for steelhead.
20 lb. test Fireline is the same diameter as 8 lb. test mono. There is no stretch in the Fireline so you will get solid hook sets and you can get a lot of line on your reel. Run Maxima Ultragreen or Fluorocarbon for your leader. Use the Palomar to tie your swivel to the Fireline and you're set.

#5 ·
Berkley Fireline Crystal, 14 lb. (same size as 6 lb. mono). I used yellow Power Pro Braided for years and it had a tendency to wrap around the rod tip that drove me crazy. I spoke with some other fisherman and they siad try the 14 lb. Fireline and I love the stuff. No more tip wrap and the line floats real nice for mending and it cast really nice. If you have a long/limber rod (9 ft. +) the 14 lb. would be fine as a lot of the tension during the fight is taken up in the rod but if you are using a standard 8 ft. medium action rod I'd go with the 20 lb. (same size as 8 lb. mono).

Nothing wrong with the Power Pro Braided, I just like the Fireline better.

#12 ·
i use 30# power pro because ive found that the bobber stopper knot has a hard time gripping the smaller dia line from 20 down. the extra strength and fatter dia line help float better and more knot strength then what you get under 30#. 8-12lb leader depending on flows at about 18"-2' and water clearity

#13 ·
Personally, I like the pline hydrofloat for bobber fishing. Easy to see and mend.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

#17 ·
Thanks guys for the information. I do have a little bit of technical question.
In the past I have used 12lb maxima for the mainline and 8lb maxima for the leader. I always put a barrel swivel about 2ft above the jig to conect the 2 lines and the the bobber stop set according to the depth I wanted to fish.
With the floating lines do I have to make my leader longer? Will the floating lines stop the jig from getting to the correct depths? How do you rig it with the floating lines?
Thank you,
Beaverboy

#21 ·
I made a switch recently from mono to 15lb power pro and I am liking the switch. Less missed fish and much more positive feed back to my loomis and other less sensitive rods. I'm not sure why, but the braid transmits so much more feel to the reel seat. I have not had a problem with the bobber stops sliding or not sliding. The only problem I have been having lately is catching more fish than usual! Not a bad problem to have:twocents:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.