IFish Fishing Forum banner

Freeze your crab in milk!

24K views 19 replies 19 participants last post by  streamcatcher 
#1 ·
For several years we froze our crab in vacuumn bags after cooking and draining them. It worked ok, but not like fresh caught after several months?

We posted last fall, asking for better methods for freezing the crab we can't eat presently? Well............someone suggested freezing them in milk and tonight we finally worked our way to that batch of frozen crab. YUM!
Whoever gave us that idea, we thank you. I was skeptical, but thought, "hey, why not?". Folks, it works! The meat was snow white, tasted fresh, held together nicely and not mushy as in the past.

Also, we "date "our catches and decided we won't crab until late fall hereafter. Better quality, fuller shells, and bigger!:twocents:

Just passing on in case anyone is interested?:)

#5 ·
I, also, froze some crab in milk. Tried it both ways, alone and in milk. Milk is best, for sure. I used 2%, whatever was in the fridge.

#14 ·
:yeahthat: in the shell or just the meat?

Jay
We cook, remove the backs, wash out well, and drain the entire crab body well upside down in the sink . When reasonably drained of surplus water, we usually place 2 or 3 per bag and pour whatever kind of milk we have in the fridge into the bag (2 gal freezer bags)and fill about half way, squeeze out surplus air and seal. Date with a marker to rotate your stock well.We shake the milk all over them and lay flat in the freezer. Worked great for us.:yay:

Caution, don't use a vacuum packer if you fill the bags with liquid. Vacuumn pack only if well drained.

Storing covered with water made them mushy when we did it? Several complaints from family members...................:redface:

I would never ship without dry ice to keep them frozen or very cold, IMHO.

#10 ·
if you would like to ship crab in a frozen state then I would ship it with dry ice....... you can buy it at AirGas for very cheap...... then put it in a suitable container and ship it. of course it would have to be shipped next day air but it would bet there perfectly frozen.

#12 ·
Glad everyone has had good luck with my tip! I got it from someone that lives in Chinook.

Even after six months in the freezer I still have "lump" meat when it is thawed. I always use fat-free milk (it's what I drink) and make sure the meat is completely covered. I do want to try whole and see if it makes any taste difference.

I would think this would work well for shipping since the idea is to thaw completely in the milk and then drain.

Yes, cook, crack and then freeze just the meat.

We either have crab cocktails or crab and shrimp with pesto over pasta.

#18 ·
We've froze crabmeat in cheap plastic containers and milk. It tastes very fresh this way. Just fill the container with crab, then slowly pour in the milk until it is as full as you can get it. Tap the tub on the table to get most of the bubbles out and put the top on, and put it in the freezer.:twocents:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.