IFish Fishing Forum banner

Deer feed/bait for winter?

3K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  Snug 2 
#1 ·
Do any of you who have property put out deer feed or bait during the winter? If so what do you use and why. Its fir a small piece of land around 5 acers with lots of deer moving through it.

#2 ·
Deer absolutly LOVE cracked corn. People will argue that its bad for them, but everyone of the deer in my mothers yard (5), my buddies yard (20+) and my Dad's farm (3-5) eat every last piece of corn and are as healthy as can be. Build a feeder so it will keep the feed dry.

#6 ·
The hardest part is keeping it dry here on the wet side. You can make feeders out of 4 inch pvc that keep it kind of dry. I still prefer salt. Rain actually makes it better I think. It soaks into the wood or dirt and they keep coming back.

#8 ·
I have a camera up there now and have many does! I was able to get a nice 3x2 on video two days last week!!! There is and has been 0 hunting pressure for many years. The neighbors currently have some licks up I believe. Since I found out the area offers a draw tag for late season bow that is my goal next year. I did put out some deer cane to see what they think of it. Any pictures of feeders you guys use? Thanks for all the help just trying to gain more knowledge. Thanks adam

#9 ·
I have a pic somewhere of some great looking feeders. I will see if I can find it in the machine.

They are 6" PVC pipe, 36" long with an elbow/ "y" on the end, the top has a screw on cap. They are camo's up and blend well with the terrain.
I think the guy that did them was in the upper mid west somewhere, He used a mix of alfalfa pellets and cracked corn. If I remember rightly they held about 50 lbs of feed.

#11 · (Edited)
Here's a couple I've made... The goal post looking one I used lighter duty PVC and they needed bolts to hold the joints in place because the PVC cement wouldn't stick to it.

Both cost about $20-30 each and you can get all the stuff at home depot or lowes. The one wih a single pipe is a pain in the A$$ (because its almost 9' tall) to fill by yourself with out a ladder if you go with that design make sure to put it somewhere you can get a ladder or your truck close enough to fill. Make sure you drill holes in te bottom of where the corn comes out so water drains. Both hold about 3/4 of a bag of corn each

#10 ·
I've been dumping apples out at my lick sight too. I think the deer actually like the salt better some days. My camera will show them licking the rock salt over eating apples. In the past two weeks I've had 9 different bucks and a herd of 7 does coming in. Hopefully the big boy shows up Saturday:pray:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.