IFish Fishing Forum banner

TUNA! Bomb!

102K views 70 replies 58 participants last post by  Macgyver 
#1 ·
This is, hands down, the best TUNA! recipe I've come across yet. I will share in my traditional ridiculously over-detailed pictorial format.

First... The jus
3 tablespoons unseasoned rice vinegar
2 tablespoons finely grated peeled fresh ginger
2 tablespoons peanut oil
2 tablespoons Asian sesame oil
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
1 serrano chile, seeded, minced
Freshly ground white pepper

Preparation:

Whisk first 8 ingredients in medium bowl to blend; season to taste with ground
white pepper. Refrigerate at least 30 minutes and up to 45 minutes.

Now, the Bomb!

Take a TUNA! loin and trim off the tips, leaving a uniform loin. Then trim off the edges to make a reasonably round loin.

Tear off a piece of plastic wrap about 18" long and lay it out on the counter. Then lay out slices of serrano or prosciutto ham (the razor thin stuff), overlapping them at least 1/2". You need enough to completely wrap the TUNA! loin. Don't over do it. Complete coverage is ideal without too much overlap.

Lay in the loin....

At this point, you may have attracted an audience.

Now use the plastic wrap to roll up the loin. With practice you'll nail it.

Fold the ham toward the loin ends and twist the plastic wrap.

Tuck the twisted ends under the loin and let set up in the fridge for an hour or two.

After the bomb has set up in the fridge, cut off the twisted ends then carefully remove the rest of the plastic wrap...

Conditions are perfect. Now..... It's Business Time!

Cook the Bomb on Med-Hi heat in light oil, rotating until cooked on all sides, including the ends.

The objective is to fully cook the ham, NOT the TUNA! Looks something like this... Aw yeah!

Now cut the bomb into 3/4" to 1" medallions...

Then drizzle with the jus...

KAPOW!

Even if you don't follow this recipe to a "T", try the jus on any tuna you make as marinade or sauce. It's INSANE!

Enjoy,
Crazy Eddy

See less See more
#32 ·
We had decided early on, this will be our contribution to our Annual New Years Eve "wish it were summer" party!!
We've made a number of them & they are always a hit with everyone!!

Give it a try!! You'll not be disappointed !!

SG:flowered:

#34 ·
Just Great, I canned the last of my first Tuna catch and now have no Loins:doh: I better find another Tuna ride :whistle:

That looks soo yummy! Thanks Freak for the recipe:meme:

Dan

#39 ·
People think you are nuts to mix pork fat and fish, but there is nothing better. Just what in the world IS better! Great job!

#43 ·
Freakwater,

Thank you for this wonderful recipe, made it tonight out our first Tuna of the year for us. I'm not much of a Sushi fan but this recipe is PERFECT !!

I added a side salad with fresh Fern Fennel and a spicy Asian Peanut dressing Apple Cider Peanut dressing from Allrecipes dot com.

Dan

#49 ·
I can't believe I've waited this long to do this! I made these along with some ABT's for the main part of yesterday's spread, it was outstanding!

Thanks so much for the recipe Freakwater!

BTW I found a couple leftover slices in the fridge today (i thought they were all gone last night but i had a few brews in me so musta missed the last ones) and just put them in a hoagie roll with mayo cheese cabbage and tomato, best tuna sandwich ever.

#51 ·
Made it tonight once again, only I didn't have a couple of the ingredients. I substituted jalapeños for the peppers and didn't have the cilantro so I just added some garlic. It was very good but I think the cilantro and Serrano pepper were better in the original recipe. Still great eats.

Oh yea, no proscuttio so I wrapped in bacon. That worked well, I just cooked it with the tuna still a little semi frozen in the center so it wouldn't overcook to get the bacon crispy, that part worked out well.

#54 ·
Linked to this thread from another post, and to be honest this looks like something Gordon Ramsey would yell at you for on one of his shows. In other words, it doesn't look great.

What does it taste like anyway? I'm still open to trying it (you're talking to a guy that eats sea urchin gonads).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.