IFish Fishing Forum banner

Side/Down Scan Technology, what do you think?

2K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  DogZilla15 
#1 ·
For some of you that have the side scan technology on your boats, what do you think? How do you like it? For the rest that dont have it but know what it is do you think it is really necessary or if you had the option do you think it would help for anything? I could see for the bass fisherman but for the rest of us not sure. I am trying to weigh out my options for if I feel like I really need it. Maybe sturgeon fishing?

#3 ·
Every sturgeon fisherman should have it. I doubt the small screen versions are nearly as useful as the big screen models, I have one of each. The Humminbird 1198c Combo and the Lowrance HDS-7 as mostly gps backup.

I'll be using it for springers and other stuff this year and will report later on if it helps put fish in the boat or better to save your money.

#5 ·
I have SS/DS on my Lowrance HD-7. The technology is sweet. Hovering over ship wrecks provides some amazing shots. Also trolling around the lower willamette near all the old factory docks has revealed some interesting things. I found a baby stroller, several anvils, 3 ladders and even a car.

Its really hard to see fish on them, if someone has some tuning advise to actually gear the thing to see more fish I would appriciate it.

#6 ·
One would think that with all of the super neato pictures of bridges, dock pilings, cars, baby strollers, etc. Somewhere somebody would have pictures of fish with those things!! What's the deal with that? I've googled it but to no avail.
Has anybody ever seen a fish on one of those things? Please share!!

#10 ·
The only one I've seen in action is the Humminbird that Kevin Newell has in his boat. Seeing fish is difficult, you gotta know what to look for. He's pretty good at it, young eyes. I don't think a boat in motion will do a very good job of showing fish that's why I think they are best for sturgeon, anchor fishing, showing structure and not much else.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.