IFish Fishing Forum banner

Tanner Creek Chaos and lessons learened (truly funny)

9K views 22 replies 19 participants last post by  Deanrt 
#1 ·
Went thru the motions again this morning, arrive at the gate at 6:30 waiting for the mad dash at 7:00 to drive to the creek:meme:Got to watch everyone ahead of us stop short and bail out of the rigs to go pound in their rod holders :palm: Water was low but hopes were high. As we parked the rig to unload what seemed to be way too much stuff, you could here the sounds of hammers hitting iron. As we were walking across the bridge to claim (or try to calim) as small spot on the beach, you could hear the Chaos start. It sounded kinda like @#$%^&* you, you $%^&, I was here first you #$%^& #$%^&. What a great place to take a good friend who has never caught a steelhead for the first time:doh: We had just got down to the beach to see one guy holding a hammer :smash: telling another guy that he better not think about fishing there :argue: and another guy trying to keep the peace:flowered: We minded our own and found a spot away from the maddness. Fishing was slow, say 4-5 fish landed. The chaos seemed to have subsided until the fish checker had graced us with his presence. We were second on his list. Sadly we had to inform him that we had only lost just one fish (operator error, the new guy:whistle:) and down the line he went. Half way thru we heard it again, That #$%^& has two fish in his truck and that #$%^ tried to beat that guy up with a hammer and has been an #$%^&$%^&* all day:doh:. We had had enough and left, only to see the rest of it unfold in the parking lot:argue: and tickets issued. So when is enough, enough????? (went to another spot called the secert spot and wacked 4 hatchery chromers in 2 hours!!!!!)
Lessons Learned!!
#1 Always set the alarm 30mins eariler to beat the crowd
#2 Never take a new guy to Tanner Creek
#3 Run faster then the guy in front of you
#4 Bring a bigger hammer (bigger than the one the guy next to you has)
#5 Don't lie to the fish checker (in front of everyone)
#6 Dont lie to the fish checker ( did I say that already??)
#7 Advoid Tanner Creek

See less See more
#3 ·
That could have been said about Tanner Creek 50 years ago. They have been fighting, stabbing, and otherwise abusing each other for decades replayed up and down the Columbia River. I remember fist fights breaking out on Sauvies at Walton Beach in the 60's, being told about stabbings and such at Tanner then also. Fishing and other limited resource hobbies bring out the worse in the majority of people.

#9 ·
Wow,

We might have been there during the same time period. I can actually remember back in the 60's arriving there at midnight just to pound our rod holders and stake our spots. Come sun rise guys would set up just behind or crowd in. Let me tell you the fists did fly.

#4 ·
BTW, there is another Just Ducky on this board. He has been here awhile. just saying.

Tanner Creek is a nightmare. glad i do not fish that anymore.

#7 ·
I'm wondering why anyone would want to copy another ifish members ifish moniker? A quick check would save some confusion over who is posting what. pops
Most likely wasn't an issue especially if it isn't spelled the same or spaced alike ( it wouldn't show as taken). I wouldn't be too concerned over an accident. Plenty of similar monikers here. And the OP has been here for several years now.

#10 ·
i fish tanner alot, and have so for many years.....infact its the first place i ever caught a steelhead at.

its usually nice place to plunk at ive never been in a fight down there (im 6'6 thou:D), but let me tell ya its a relativly small bank spot, so all the late idiots, and other "idiots" that try to crowd in are the ones that cause the problems.

i am usually first one there waiting in my subaru for the gate to open, and let me tell u, if some yahoo crowds me while showing up late....i will get angry. its all about respect, as it is at any other plunking spot with alot of people fishing all around.

TO ALL WHO WANT TO FISH AT TANNER.....SHOW SOME RESPECT, and you will have a good time. if you show no respect to the locals and those that got there before you, you will NOT have a good time.

RESPECT people, its not hard logically:doh::palm:

#19 ·
Some people are just jackwagons!
When I go down there with 5 or 6 buddies, we set our poles 3 or 4 feet apart and have fun. But god forbid if you "squeeze" in between 2 guys that are 10 or 15 feet apart.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.