IFish Fishing Forum banner

Possible world record elk taken in Kerr County

15K views 80 replies 68 participants last post by  Taylor300WSM 
#1 ·

Kyle Bauer’s Bull Elk was officially measured by SCI and Trophy Game Records (TGR) Officials, and came out at a whopping 504 5/8 inches SCI becoming the new pending Estate Typical World Record Rocky Mountain Elk taken with a rifle, and 1177.4 centimeters with Trophy Game Records of the World as the largest Elk ever recorded.

The “Lightning Bull” will now be honored as a Diamond Trophy (largest ever taken for that species and method of hunting) for both the SCI and TGR Record Books this coming year.

If anyone wants to read the full story pm me

See less See more
#7 · (Edited by Moderator)
This is just wrong on so many levels......

Orion

From a Field and Stream web site

October 6, 2010
Hunter on Texas Game Ranch Bags Possible 'World-Record' Elk

http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs...xas-game-ranch-bags-possible-world-record-elk
A potential "world-record" elk has been taken on a Texas game ranch.

From this story in Lone Star Outdoor News:
Texas Hunt Lodge client, Kyle Bauer, took the new World Record Estate Rocky Mountain Elk this weekend. Kyle Bauer and his 16 yr old son, Zach, of Humble, TX booked the hunt with Guide and Texas Hunt Lodge owner, Aaron Bulkley, back in early April. The hunt took place on Friday and Saturday on the Las Catarinas Ranch in northwest Kerr County. The first evening out, Friday, Guides Dennis Kneese and Aaron Bulkley were able to get the clients in front of plenty of big Elk ranging from 350 to 440 inches, but we needed to see the “Lightning Bull” before we let Kyle make up his mind. The Guides had named this giant 8x9 Bull Elk the “Lightning Bull” as the only time you caught a glimpse of him was when he busted out of the trees running full steam ahead, therefore no one actually knew how big he was going to be.

#18 ·
I know some african hunts are canned but I choose not to bash them.
I was under the impression that most of the African hunts were high fence.....at least in South Africa, anyways.

#14 ·
The quote clearly indicates...

The “Lightning Bull” will now be honored as a Diamond Trophy (largest ever taken for that species and method of hunting) for both the SCI and TGR Record Books this coming year.

It would seem that the underlined phrase above clearly qualifies the method. There are many methods lawfully utilized in America today, if it isn't your cup of tea, doesn't mean it's not anothers.

It is, however, a magnificant animal...regardless.

#17 ·
You can tell by looking at the animal that is isn't a natural one.

I wouldn't be surprised if that guy paid in the WAY-upper five figures to shoot that animal. Six figures wouldn't even surprise me, seeing as I've seen high fence, Record-Rack fed deer going for over $30,000.

#24 ·
If he ever got outta that fence and I was on the other side I know I'd let an arrow fly. Wouldn't spend 4 figs much less 6 to do it (heck, I can barely afford a resident oregon elk tag!) though. Not my cup of tea, but for those who can and those who need to, have at it. I don't see any problem with it and since they don't score in the same category as fair chase, I don't feel like it threatens my sport.

#26 ·
To me (please note those two words), "high fence" is the antithesis of "fair chase."

Not only would I not pay for such a hunt, I would be unlikely to accept payment to be part of such a hunt.

If the high fence enclosed a huge ranch, on which the animals lived as if no fence existed, I would feel differently.

I don't shoot livestock.

P

#28 ·
I am an Oregon native, but I was involved in guiding on ranches in Texas. Let me offer the following: This elk is in no way anything akin to a wild or free ranging animal. The assertion that it would be like shooting the neighbors milk cow is spot on. They are behind high fence, fed supplemental feed and other enhancements, and they are selectively bred. The one key element when guiding for elk was to be careful about involved approaching too close when you spot them. They were conditioned to associate vehicles with the daily food delivery (deer pellets etc...) and if you approached too close they would head toward the truck. It was like a charade. You had to stay back and act intensely excited like it was a 'real' game animal and encourage the hunter to get into action before they moved off (which wasn't going to happen). The hunters generally went along with the charade too because they had to know what the deal was. You would need no more than your lunch hour to kill this bull. There is a reasonable chance that he had already been fed into a pen with a chute etc.....and measured before hand so they could establish a price. Then the hotshot with the deep pockets that wants to participate in this nonsense pretty much knows exactly what he 'purchase' before he ever left for the ranch. If someone either thought or knew this was going to be a world record of some kind the price would be pretty steep. The guide would know exactly where he was within reason and then it would be just a matter of letting the air of him. The hunts that were filmed when I was there were mostly ridiculous recreations.

I recall one instance when I was there where a recognizable name in the exotic hunting world arranged for a giant pen-raised sprangle-horned whitetail to be transported from one of the northern states to a ranch in south Texas so it could be harvested and declared the 'new' Texas state record. It actually made the paper as such until someone put two and two together, realized where it actually came from, and that it was transported during an open season for whitetail and therefore a violation of the federal Lacey Act. The guys transporting it and the "guide" all got there butts in a ringer but they didn't really care as most people never read the follow-up articles and the new record deer was associated with this 'guide' and increased his business. There is semi-legitimate fair chase hunting behind high fence down there, but I can guarantee that this bull was nothing more than a farm animal. One time I watched an organized cougar hunt with dogs in an area where there weren't even cougars. No one noticed that the hair was rubbed off part of the tail from being in a cage for a long time, but the guy was given an award for the largest cougar taken with a handgun and got his picture in a publication. Give me a big break, but if you think about it, what would you expect from Texas.:palm:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.