IFish Fishing Forum banner

Bass, vs. steelhead salmon, sturgeon...

2K views 47 replies 31 participants last post by  thumbar 
#1 Ā·
This bugs me. I don't know if this is the place to discuss it, but why is it so difficult to get shows on in our area that promote our sports?

Why is bass so popular, has so much money behind it, etc?

We have so much trouble getting shows to air for us to watch. Why is bass so easy to produce?

I just don't get it, and have to ask. Do the same sponsors that back bass shows refuse to back our shows and why? Do we not have as big of an audience? Is that all?

I'm honestly confused, here and want to know!!!

Jen

#27 Ā·
In the east and south, bass fishing is available to a lot of people in high density population areas within easy driving distance. You can catch fish without a lot of $ invested. Also, bass fishing does not have the complications: i.e. Bass fishers don't have to worry about if the commercials/indians have their nets in the water; the bass are always there not dependent on timing of runs; the fishing rules are less restrictive; a lot of those states have a fishing tradition and not all the anti fishing/hunting, granola eating, kayak padling, tree huggers we have.

#28 Ā·
Jenny,

Largemouth Bass are a universal fish. They can be found in just about every state and in just about every country from ponds to lakes to streams. The are a very hardy fish.

They are also negatively affected by weather and water conditions more so than any other species, making them very difficult to consistently catch. It would probably be an impossibility to ever fish them out. Example: The sunny, clear days after the passing of a cold front, can put Largemouth into an inactive state for 2 to 3 days depending on the severity of the front. It affects other species too, but not as much as the Largemouth. Point being: The inconsistency in catching them has made them popular from a tournament perspective.

#29 Ā·
It is all about $$$$$
The largemouth bass is the #1 game fish in the USA
The fishing shows and tournaments help promote and sell boats,trucks,rods & reels, gear and the list goes on.
These tournaments feel arenas with thousands of fans.
I would personally rather watch Hog Quest than have to watch some idiot scream that he just caught a giant (12")
bass. Just a thought

#32 Ā·
I would love to see a bankie(non-plunking) steelhead/salmon show. A show on anchor would be tough to watch though unless it is for oversize gators.

As far as the bass shows -- I used to love them when I was younger. Now, it is a little too heavy on sponsors and I was never a fan of tournies despite my preference to fish for bass.

#33 Ā·
I always figured the actual fish was from stock footage and the fight was with a garbage bag or weighted coathanger or whatnot. :grin:

In reality, I think shows are filmed over the course of a few days and then editted. I doubt it would be very easy to catch a live bass with hands or net while scuba diving...

#34 Ā·
It's not exactly where the fish are but where the money is. TV ratings is the name of the game and advertising is what drives it. Steelhead, salmon and sturgeon make good fishing shows
but maybe bass and pan fish tackle manufacturers overall have more money to spend to reach fishermen on fish that can be caught almost nation wide.

#35 Ā·
Jennie

if all thew bass fishermen in america were thrown into a pile then all the salmonand steelhead fishermen were thrown in the mix finding a salmon steelhead or sturgeon fisherman would be like finding a needle in a haystack..

sure salmon and steelhead are the main think in Oregon and washington but in the rest of the country bass reigh supreme.. on a nationwide level salmon and steelhead fishing is small potatoes...

#36 Ā·
Bass fishing is a pro sport that allow the competor to catch the fish live and then weight it and eventualy release it. Bass are way hardy fish and can survive in a live well to do these competitions with out killing them off. They are found all accross the nation and almost any fisherman can relate to them, The true trophys can be caught in huge water down to a mud hole. I gess its sort of a quantitative way to relate to fishing to some sort of contest way. I think trout,salmon and such are sought after more for table fair and are quite regonal.
PS;I love fishing with shelly- cortney is way hot too -my wife could learn a thing or two from them.

#37 Ā·
OK.. my soap box-
Salmon/Steelheading is limited by geographic area. Bass Exist everywhere.

To those that think bassing is easy.. I would argue that point. Next to Fly fishing seasonal hatches and walley, I can't think of a more complex fish than bass.

To those that watch the shows. Yes, these are edited over the course of many days, sometimes weeks.

Yes, Divers hooking on fish is part of the entertainment package. If thier not biting, it's not uncommon for divers to hook fish on.. it's entertainment-- ( intern with infisherman in brainerd during college filled me in)

Salmon/Steelheading show, produced local may attract a limited audience, however what will happen to the ratings duing springer season, the fall/winter runs?

Could a show be produced? Certainly. I think a season of 9-10 shows would be great. These shows could be taped during the respective seasons, and broadcast on OLN or another sporting type network. I believe Hottamalie attempted this, but I also beleive the production cost were/are exuberent.

The question is, do you really want your fishery advertised? Seems were all cranky about the amount of fishing pressure already. This would only add to the battle howver I'm certain those involved in tourism for the state would be jumping with joy.

Lastly Anytype of fishing requires the right gear for the job. I use ultra light tackle smallie fishing during the summer.

Slot limits do add to trophy fishing-- and bass fisheries, like salmon/steelhead are subject to over fishing

I would rather spend a day on the water catching 2-5 lb fish on unltra light gear instead of sitting, waiting for a salmon to strike. I'm ADD;) though and need the action, or at least the prospect of action.

#39 Ā·
Apples and oranges. I enjoy fishing for salmonids and bass equally, although I am much more proficient with bass fishing, due to being a novice steelheader... that which is more fun lies with the individual.

I see a bunch of topics regarding which is 'more fun' or a 'better fight'. Just fish for what you want and enjoy the experience of being away from the hassle of life... Take tournaments for instance. While I find them to be pretty pointless, in general, I see how the competition can be exciting to others.

Competition? Give me football. Fishing? Give me peace and relaxation (and sometimes food).

Back to topic: If not TV, I would really dig more radio shows regarding salmonids)re: Lance Fisher's show, Sat morning, AM 1080)--and especially shows that are on when I am awake enough to pay attention! :smile:

#40 Ā·
Striper Club,

Great post. Fishing should be a family thing--not something super competitive. A relaxing and family entertaining event. In the world today competition is a big thing, but all it does is cause divisions IMHO.

#42 Ā·
i used to fish pro bass in wisconsin, it was more like work! i i pretty well, but got out after 2 years! i think the problem with our tourism, and our funky laws! i know people back east that would like to come out or see more shows but the area is to unreliable, the great lakes offer one hell of a year round fishery! and they really push the tourism!

#44 Ā·
Something that I would LOVE to see would be a show that covered many different species using different techniques. Here is a short list:

-Fly Fishing for Fall Chinook
-Fly Fishing for NW Smallmouth Bass
-Great Lakes Bobber & Fly for Smallmouth Bass
-Bobber & Egg or jig(First Bite, of course) fishing for Winter Steelhead
-Fly Fishing for Tarpin (seen this, wow)
-So Cal (Castaic, Casitas), fishing with 10" swimbaits for 15+ lb Largemouth Bass (seen this, wow)
-Spoon or crankbait fishing for Striped Bass in Arkansas
-etc
-etc

Anyone want to fund my show? :wink:

edit: I suppose this would better fit the LiG 'Lottery' thread. :hearton:

#47 Ā·
I think your question has been fairly well answered here.

What it comes down to is availability. There are more people in the region wanting to learn how to catch bass than salmon, steelhead and sturgeon.

Fishing shows that show Alaska and N.W. fishing are extremely popular all over the country, but the biggest part of the generall public can only dream of going on one of those trips. So they want to learn how to catch what is easily available to them.

I had the western regional sale rep for Bass Cat boats salmon fishing with me on the coast last week. He always makes a point to me when he is over here about how lucky I am to have such a diverse fishery so close to my doorstep. To him it is a yearly adventure that he is lucky enough to be able to do. And he has stated that if everybody could.....they would be here taking advantage of what we have here in the N.W.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.