IFish Fishing Forum banner

Food Saver 3840 - Don't waste your time

17K views 60 replies 42 participants last post by  iwanttofish 
#1 ·
I've used a couple different models of food saver products over the years and I got to say this is one piece of junk. Its a rather attractive machine that could easily be left on the counter and that is about the best thing it does is gather dust.

Being a vertical type unit it has a automatic bag sensing feature and that is its huge down fall. The width of the bag sealer was much wider than previous Food Saver models and it did real well with wet items and sealing the first time around. But only if you had insert the bag curl down and wiggle it into the machine and trigger a couple of micro switches to start the machine. If the machine was even a hint of warm the bag would go every which way but down into the area to trigger the machine to turn on. There is no manual switch other than the auto sense. It was very frustrating to use and wasted 1 1/2" of bag material for each seal.

Suspecting that I would have trouble sealing mass bags, I purchased the machine at Costco so if I had problems I could take it back no questions. I did just that.

Maybe someday I'll afford a chamber style unit but not anytime soon. I ordered a Vacupak to take its place.

Ted Culin

See less See more
#35 ·
Am I the only guy on here who likes this machine? I have to admit it was difficult to figure out at first. The bag does need to be put in just right to set off the automatic sensor, but once you get the hang of it it's not too bad. Mine was worked perfect the the year or so that I've had it.

#40 ·
For those looking for a replacement or upgrade, there's a company in Portland name Quality Matters that has the best price I've seen anywhere on the web for either chamber or suction machine. They have a chamber for $669 & the Cabela's type for $349 and they'll match anyone's price.Hint: they sell expresso machines too!

#42 ·
I've had nothing but bad results with vac packing albacore. This year I've gone with the Tony commercial vacuum pack system. I prep the loins and drive to Tony's and for 2.00 a bag they vac the loins. If I was to buy a machine with the same quality it would take at least 15 or 20 seasons to get my money's worth.

#48 ·
I couldn't find the receipt, so I blamed it on the cat. :D They were very interested in the complaints on this, but this is the 1st they've heard of it at this store. Maybe folks didn't elaborate quite as much as I did. :whistle: I filled out one of those "how can we make things better" cards. With no receipt you get a cash card instead and well heck, I went shopping. Drill, fire extinguishers, couple of jugs of Yoshidas n a case of Alaskan Amber. Really, what more could a girl want? :wink: I swear, that bag of rice crackers with wasabi balls is laced with crack!!! :food:

Looks like I've got some internet research to do. If I were to go with one from Cabelas, how easy is it to get bags? There are limited options in my area. Didn't someone mention that one of the Cabela's sealers fit food saver bags?

Heading home, I had a good laugh sittin' on the bridge in the one lane contruction. The armada of boats heading down river towards B-10 was truly impressive. Looked liked a navy battle group with all those scattered boat wake trails.:jester:

#52 ·
Looks like I've got some internet research to do. If I were to go with one from Cabelas, how easy is it to get bags? There are limited options in my area. Didn't someone mention that one of the Cabela's sealers fit food saver bags?

.:jester:
The food saver bags in the roll form from Costco work in the Cabela's CG-15 great. I bought mine last year. The chamber one would be nice but the cost isn't.:twocents:

#50 ·
I've used a couple different models of food saver products over the years and I got to say this is one piece of junk. Its a rather attractive machine that could easily be left on the counter and that is about the best thing it does is gather dust.

Being a vertical type unit it has a automatic bag sensing feature and that is its huge down fall. The width of the bag sealer was much wider than previous Food Saver models and it did real well with wet items and sealing the first time around. But only if you had insert the bag curl down and wiggle it into the machine and trigger a couple of micro switches to start the machine. If the machine was even a hint of warm the bag would go every which way but down into the area to trigger the machine to turn on. There is no manual switch other than the auto sense. It was very frustrating to use and wasted 1 1/2" of bag material for each seal.

Suspecting that I would have trouble sealing mass bags, I purchased the machine at Costco so if I had problems I could take it back no questions. I did just that.

Maybe someday I'll afford a chamber style unit but not anytime soon. I ordered a Vacupak to take its place.

Ted Culin
We have one of these units and before I read the instructions, it frustrated the crap out of me.

I sure like the marinade feature and have a set of vacuum canisters that are working great.

Haven't had any problems since I paid attention to the instructions and did what it asked.

It is a major upgrade from the original unit that my daughter still uses.

We couldn't be happier after a year of service.

Peace, Tom

#53 ·
I called the Foodsaver folks today, they are going to take the unit I bought recently back and supposedly refund my money. The lady (rep) I talked with was nice, but she wasn't about to admit the unit was junk. Told me I should make a bag, fill and seal it, then make another bag. That I should not make several bags in a row, the machine wasn't designed for that. Wel, hello, obviously it wasn't, but the website said it was rated for repetitive use. It is an inefficient use of time to do it the way she suggested.

Now I'm considering again doing my bit to help the economy. However, it is going to hurt to do it, but considering what we spend to catch fishk, I want to package it well for the freezer.
ron m

#54 ·
Hey Ted,

I experienced the same thing, had the old manual style foodsaver and loved it, but left that in Mexico so I bought the new version. Returned it after one frusterating batch. I just picked up a cheapo unit on sale at Bimart and it works just fine with the manual operation. Under $100. Yeah the big ones are better, but I don't bag enough to justify it. Usually can my tuna and only bag butts and salmon.

Anyways, no problems with this unit albeit limited testing. Price is right.

#55 ·
I just ordered the Cabelas reman unit for $299.00 and will take back the foodsaver unit next week. The foodsaver is the 5th one that I will be returning.

#56 ·
I had the Foodsaver "Professional". Great machine, I processes ~40 deer and antilope with it and hundreds of fish over a 10 year period. Lent it to a neighbor, he returned it not working an hour later..... :doh:

Bought one of the cheaper foodsavers on the way back from the coast with 6 tuna to process. Barely made it through those. So I returned it, and found the "Professional" model on ebay. Actually, its the "Foodsaver Professional III Plus". I've been using that one for a year, and it seems to be as good as the one I had ffor 10 years. If it fails, I'll be after the Cabelas CG-15.

#60 ·
I ended up ordering a new Cabelas CG-15. :excited:

For all those interested in the refurbed Cabelas CG-15, as of this morning, they are completely out and on back order. The customer service rep said they didn't know when they would get more in and at what price. As an FYI, both the refurb and the new CG-15's are on sale. Since the new one's on sale, there's only a $50 difference between it and the full price of the old, which is what you'll end up paying since they are out.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. :flowered:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.