IFish Fishing Forum banner

How to extend the length of the butt of the rod

20K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  CRD4Liberty 
#1 ·
I have a Loomis that I love to use for rock fishing. At the end of the day my arm is exhausted because the but of the rod is only about 6-8 inches instead of the 12-14 inches that I prefer for jig fishing. Is there a product made to extend the length of the butt of the rod?

D'tails

#2 ·
Don't know of a ready-made product but a rod builder would be able to extend it with a piece of rod blank and some cork rings.

A good mechanic could make it look OEM.

I suppose you could ghetto it with a piece of PVC (or thin wall Alu), but I wouldn't on a rod like that.

#3 ·
to do it correctly

you'll need
fiberglass twine
a piece of snug fitting rod blank
epoxy
a new rear grip

take off the old rear grip of the rod ( sharp knife)
wrap the bottom 4 inches of with the fiberglass twine you'll want to wrap it liberally cover the entire section twice so there are no gaps
cover the twine with epoxy as smooth as you can get it ( it still won't be very smooth)
allow the epoxy to dry and sand it a bit to get it smoother
this will reinforce your loomis blank that it will not split out

i imagine that the same thing could be accomplished using a cloth sheet of fiberglass with would be easier to find than the twine but you'll have to do something to secure it in place as the epoxy dries..

when you are done with that step you can then epoxy the piece of blank into your rod. the epoxy will want to push the blank back out so keep your eye on it or secure it somehow. you'll want the blank to go in 3-4 inches but not beyond the area you have fiber glassed.

once the epoxy is dry you can cut it to the desired length and glue on a new rear grip

#4 ·
Assuming this rod has a cork rear grip, I would recommend the following:

1: Cut/remove the butt cap so the bottom of the blank is exposed
2: Find a blank section that will allow 8-10" of sleeving into the butt section and allow the desired amount of extension
3: Rough up the surface of the blank extension and glue with U40 rod bond
4: Turn down cork grip to an OD that will accommodate the ID of Tennessee handle material or a Batson Slick Butt
5: Build up butt extension with either masking tape/fiberglass tape/cork ring arbors to fit
6: Add EVA butt cap to finish off the butt end of the Tennessee tubing

Hopefully this helps; feel free to PM if you have any questions

#5 ·
If you are going to use the existing cork grip as arbors for your extended rear grip, you might think about only using portions of it. When I've converted cork rear grips I left a number of 1" cork arbors and removed everything else. It worked out nicely.

#6 ·
I just completed an extension on an eleven foot Lamiglas surf rod, making it a twelve footer. However I've added more weight to the rod. I only use the rod for "plunking", so the weight is a non issue for me. I bought a piece of 6061-T alum. tubing, 1/8", id 1". It fit perfectly over the stock rear grip, I then wrapped it with butt cord and applied two 6" sections of shrink wrap tubing, fore and aft on the extended handle.
This may add too much weight for you, but if you want the info on where to find the material cast me a PM, I'll get it to you.
I can also E-mail you a photo if you want.

T F

:flag2: Happy Holidays to all

#7 ·
OSU and Stick have it right in my mind, installing something inside a blank's butt under just about any circumstance will make the butt softer and weaker.
If you look at Stick's picture, and compare the OD of the blank and the grip material you just have to know it's many time stiffer than the butt, you probably wouldn't need the extended piece of blank except to hang the butt cap on. If the blank's butt in the photo was 1/2 the diameter of the grip and they were made from the same material the grip would be 9 times stiffer than the blank.
These grip materials has been used on some very beefy rods, in rod holders with no durability problems.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.