IFish Fishing Forum banner

Mixing Grease?

9K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  Summersteel 
#1 ·
Hi All, Everything I read about grease, says don't mix grease. I was just wondering why not? Now here is my problem. I recently aquired a used sled with an outboard pump. It came with a grease gun and a spare cartridge. I ran out of grease and couldn't get the old cartridge out so I used another gun that had the same grease as the replacement cartridge. When I finally got the empty cartridge out of the old grease gun, I found out that it was a different type of grease.:doh: What do I now? Can I pump in original type of grease to purge the other grease out, or do I tear it down and start over? Thanks for any info.....Salmurai

#2 ·
I would just start using the recommended grease. I have a used boat, used my marine grease and did not tear down anything, it was a different brand. Just pump it till the old grease comes out, when you see the different color change, stop and call it good.

Same for wheel bearings although I do teardown every year or two and repack.

I dont know anyone who did a tear-down on a pump to clean out old grease because they were afraid to mix brands.

Good Luck.

#5 ·
Don't use a grease gun on the pump too much pressure can cause the seals to turn inside out. Use the little hand type that screws on the the tube of Lupriplate white grease that should be used in the pump.

#6 ·
Thanks All for your input. I think I'll just pump new/old type grease in until the old/new grease comes out. As far as messing up the seals with a grease gun due to pressure build up, doesn't the little rubber hose relieve the pressure? Not arguing your point, just wondering. I do use the little hand grease gun. What about NLGI #1? Do I need to be concerned with it? Thanks again for all your input. Now go catch one............Sal

#8 ·
If I remember correctly the Lubriplate 630 is the recommended grease for an Outboard Jet unit. Google and see. The Sta Lube marine is good grease and I have used lots of it. I doesn't come in the "toothpaste"tube like the Lubriplate so you would have to use a pressure grease gun. that's what you want to get away from.

#9 ·
Last I knew they say don't mix greases of different types. Marine grease has a high water displacement where a wheel bearing grease on your car has a different grease. Don't mix those. The best marine grease will be synthetic but above all it has to have HIGH water displacement properties.

I agree the blue stalube is good grease. I have used it on bearing buddies, outboard steering and all the pivot bearings. I use the best for all and never have to swap out grease guns.

#10 ·
NLGI refers to National Lubricating Grease Institute. It`s a standard in which greases are classified in to differant viscositys and meet certain other standards. NLGI 2 refers to a certain consistancy. It starts with 000, 00 ,0 1, and such. 000 being a lighter vicosity than 00. So NLGI 1 would be a little lighter in viscosity than NLGI 2. NLGI 2 is probably being the most popular grade or viscosity. Most greases start out as a pertroleum base and other materials are added like Lithium , Sulfer, Urea, Graphite and thickeners. Most greases are mixable .

#11 ·
This is correct, however, you must be careful not to use greases with certain types of thickeners (calcium-sulfonate and bentonite are tricky) in combination with each other because complications can result which ultimately COULD lead to premature wear or part failure. Most greases are mixable BETWEEN brands because many of the greases out there are lithium based which will mix with each other easily.
I also agree that you want to look at the water washout percentage rating and use one with as low a number as possible.
NLGI rating is a thickness rating only, as outlined above.

#13 ·
Ondarvr, THANKS for the info. VERY INFORMATIVE. Too bad, now I know for sure. The original grease was lithium based and the one I pumped in is aluminum complex. I guess I'll wait for a nice warm day and pump s-l-o-w. Thanks again. Good fishing to you................Sal

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.