IFish Fishing Forum banner

No Soliciting

7K views 61 replies 48 participants last post by  RiverJohn 
#1 ·
Does a "No Soliciting" sign apply to people why want to spread their rendition of religion?

Maybe I should get a sign that reads "If you are not selling girl scout cookies, leave now"

#3 ·
A lot of people seem to ignore them. I had one guy do it and the third time my wife politely told him we were not interested he called her the worst name you can call a female. It starts with a c has two letter in the middle and ends with a t. Needless to say I got off the couch very quickly and gave the guy a piece of my mind as he went walking down the street. Followed him to his car and wrote down the license plate number. Then called the cops.

I also was pretty impressed with the guy who went around our neighborhood selling No Soliciting Signs. It was 5 bucks and looked good so my wife bought one. Touche Sir. Touche!

#6 ·
They don't see it as selling, unfortunately. So I figure they don't think twice.

On a happier note, one of the religions has been sending cute 20 year old girls to spread their faith, so it's not quite as annoying when they show up at the door.

Still annoying though.

#10 ·
I was visited last night by a kid from College works painting. We had our house painted a couple weeks ago, and it is pretty apparent that it's new paint...didn't stop him. I just pointed to the wall, he said "oh", and I shut the door.:doh:

#16 · (Edited)
If I have the time...

I welcome them to my door... and ask what their purpose is. When they begin to speak, I quickly interrupt them. Then when they begin to speak again, I interrupt them again. This goes on back and forth for a few exchanges... the number of times usually depends on how much patience the individual has. At some point, they usually mention something about my interruptions... of which my response is simply.

"Oh, you don't like being interrupted? Interesting choice of activities you choose to partake in. All day, you go around interrupting people. Doesn't feel so good when you are on the other end of it, now does it."

Most don't have much to say after that. I smile, send them on their way, and hope that I have made my mark on the world. :flowered:

#17 ·
I just smile, nod, and say thank you then close the door. Easiest way IMO to deal with it. After all, even if I don't share the same faith tradition or even think of them as heretics or PITA's, they most often are acting out of semblance of concern for one's mortal soul. No need to be rude, they are just acting on their convictions, much like the person yelling at people they think are snaggers or calling the cops on some perceived injustice. Why we feel the need to be rude and angry at others over something that takes less than 2 minutes of our lives is beyond me. :twocents:

#18 ·
I like to tell them I am a nudist and if they would like to come in and take all their clothes off I would be glad to listen to them. No takers yet:doh:

#20 ·
What is hilarious is that after I got done posting my comment my doorbell rang and there were two young men on their mission on the porch. They were nice enough young men, and polite when I told them I wasn't interested. They asked me if there was anything around the place that I could use some help with, I thanked them and told them no. Told them to be careful and sent them on their way, but I did tell them that I do fish with a couple of Mormon's and never had an issue other than if I only had one on the boat they inevitably drink all the beer LOL. ( to all those PC it's a joke btw). They were nice enough and cost me little to be kind to them.

#24 ·
When I worked nights I had signs on my gate that said "Do not disturb, day sleeper" and one that said "Beware of the dog" and the last one said "No soliciting". Well, one day the doorbell rings and the dog starts barking, so I got up and answered the door the way I sleep, in the nude. The two women on the other side were horrified and when I asked them in they declined. The word must have gotten out because I haven't had that group back at my door for several years.

#26 ·
I guess that maybe I'm the odd duck but I have no problem with people coming to my door, if they are selling vacums or stuff like that a polite " no thank you" will usually get them going, as far as the missionary's go useually invite them in, after a day with rude people slamming doors in their face's a little compassion works wonders for them, fact is I've even invited them for dinner several time's. Don't have to change what I am but it sure does help their opinion of the people who live in this world just my :twocents::flag2: the doughboy

#30 ·
We suckered for the no soliciting sign. He only asked for a donation. I think I gave him 3 bucks. The signs are all around our neighborhood.
I don't have a big problem with the solicitors. One knock on the door and the dog goes ballistic. But if I decide to answer the door, I have had good luck with a simple "No thanks". A little charity in your response never hurts. Some of them are trying to make a living the best way they can. Not my cup of tea, but some of them I will give credit for being out there. I don't think I have run into any ********.

#31 ·
Yea, I bought the sign for the fellow going door to door. He hasn't been back.

I like the idiots who knock and not ring the doorbell. I guess if you don't ring the doorbell, it's not really soliciting. Duh?

I don't mind the religion peddlers, they aren't selling anything that money can buy. The stairway to heaven isn't for sale as some try to pretend. They really are an interesting bunch to speak with and I enjoy the time spent with them. They have considerable knowledge of the wordage within the bible but absolutely no consideration or comprehension of the history of the book. I'll shut up here........

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.