IFish Fishing Forum banner

2013 OFFICIAL (non Buoy 10) Fall salmon run report thread

255K views 866 replies 243 participants last post by  Towguy 
#1 Ā· (Edited)
It's 7/29 and fall salmon opens in 3 days! Anyone else excited to go dunk a Kwik or wobbler even if Buoy 10 hasn't blown up yet?

#497 Ā·
We started off at daylight this morning in Kalama. Went 2/2 during the tail end of the early tide both with too many fins! Thanks to the information shared here by fellow "ifishers" we decided to put on some spinners and try trolling for the first time while waiting for the afternoon tide. After about an hour of getting things somewhat dialed in with depth, speed and fighting the wind my rod started dancing. Landed a nice 12 lb hatchery URB. Once the water started running again we anchored up and went 5/8 in the evening with a flurry of fish about 6:00pm that kept my wife and I with a fish on constantly for about an hour. Unfortunately non of which were keepers.

#498 Ā·
Fished the hot buoy 19 area through most of the afternoon outgoing tide yesterday afternoon. Sat there with about 30 other boats in the area and never saw a fish caught. Seems all the action is below St. Helens based on what I read here? Very strange.

#509 Ā·
Took my mom out for her 81st birthday trip. Of course she gets her limit, 2 strikes, 2 fish. We ended up bringing home 4 with multiple take downs for 3 rods. ALL nice chrome fish on the afternoon tide. We didn't leave the house until after 9.
We spent a good part of the day AWAY from any crowds:excited:

#511 Ā·
Did the Cowlitz morning tide and went 2 hatchery chinook for 8 takedowns for three rods. Then we ran up above Kalama, hooked a nice hatchery chinook on the troll and it got off. Then we pulled the boat and hit the Warrior Rock upstream fishery. Again, I managed to let another one go. I get ZERO to the boat for 6 fish hooked. We did manage one Jack to the boat. My buddy does the Wobbler thingy, after telling me wobbler fishing sucks. Well, he now is a believer, going 2 for 2. Watermelon Simon did the trick, 6X6 in 46 feet of water. I am sure skeetshtr will have some pics to post today.

#512 Ā·
Did the Cowlitz morning tide and went 2 hatchery chinook for 8 takedowns for three rods. Then we ran up above Kalama, hooked a nice hatchery chinook on the troll and it got off. Then we pulled the boat and hit the Warrior Rock upstream fishery. Again, I managed to let another one go. I get ZERO to the boat for 6 fish hooked. We did manage one Jack to the boat. My buddy does the Wobbler thingy, after telling me wobbler fishing sucks. Well, he now is a believer, going 2 for 2. Watermelon Simon did the trick, 6X6 in 46 feet of water. I am sure skeetshtr will have some pics to post today.
It is good to be lucky and I am now a wobbler fishing believer, but I still like trolling better. Thanks for getting us over the biters today Gary.

Attachments

#515 Ā·
Anyone fish troutdale area today with success? We fished above the sandy and below it, nothing! Saw 1 fish landed all day. Fish finder was full of suspended fish from 18' to the bottom. Anyone have hints for targeting those suspended fish?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

#516 Ā·
Not trying to be a DB, but we are doing 10-12 fish per boat down river. Come down here and have a great day, we don't bite. :flowered: I only know what I read on here about that area up by the Sandy, and it sounds like a big fat drought.

#517 Ā·
we fished troutdale yesterday, I think every boat in our line had at least one fish. We fished until 11:30 and went 3 for 4. There are fish to be had. I agree though, many of the biters get picked off in the lower river and fishing is usually much better.

#529 Ā·
we fished troutdale yesterday, I think every boat in our line had at least one fish. We fished until 11:30 and went 3 for 4. There are fish to be had. I agree though, many of the biters get picked off in the lower river and fishing is usually much better.
You must have been in the upper line. You guys did well. The 2 lower lines didn't do as well Sunday. We still had our chances.

#523 Ā·
Best advice on here!

If you want to catch fish, go to where they are biters. The farther they travel in 71 degree water the worse they bite. It's not that all the biters are getting picked off in the lower river, its that the bite worsens the farther up river they travel in warm water.

I live 20 minutes from the Sandy and know how to fish it, but I travel down river when ever time allows because that is where you are going to get very good fishing consistently.

#526 Ā· (Edited)

First, let me say I'm sorry for the quality of the picture I took this morning.....

The guys in the yellow fiberglass runabout and the black North River both deserve to be fined or banned from reproducing. These boats were clear out to the center of the channel. This large ship blew it's horn all the way from Bachelor down through the mouth of the Lewis. The ship went around these boats and the guy in the yellow boat had the audacity to holler and flip off the crew of the ship. The ship couldn't have missed the yellow boat by more than 30 feet. It was a really close call. The tail swing started happening so he could make the next turn.

I went by on my way to the launch and told them they are lucky to be alive and their boats should be at the bottom of the river. They gave me the F-You response.

The ship before this one, blew it's horn over and over and over as well. The clowns down further wouldn't move until the last minute and left their buoy cans in the channel. This is such a stupid thing to do on so many levels. I was rooting for the ship to snag their anchor systems, but then that would mean the rope was wrapped around a critical element in the ship's drivetrain.

Why do the intelligence challenged have to make the entire group look so bad? How did these people manage to live to adulthood?

Besides the moron show I got to watch this morning, including the fiberglass boat you see that decided to low hole our established line, fishing was OK. I scratched out a keeper and let several other natives go.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.