IFish Fishing Forum banner

Siuslaw River Thread

27K views 112 replies 45 participants last post by  Fish_N_Russ 
#1 Ā·
Think it's time to start up reports for the Suislaw Chinooks. Anyone got one to start.

#67 Ā·
Nice, nice feesh !!!!!! Blue Foxes or herring??? Have you tried any of the Brad's plugs??? Any advice on where??? The Barge... Cushman??? Dairy Hole ??? Thanks for your help !!!
All bait, and fish the best quality bait you can find. It may cost you, the reward is fish in your boat. More lead is better than less, use a sliding system. Keep your baits on the bottom.....!!!! if your in 25 feet of water, keep the bait at 23 feet down, (or 24 to 26 iches off the bottom, that is where most fish are) if your in 13 feet of water, keep the bait at 11 feet down. It is rather simple.:) Find fish and stay with them. They tend to hang out for quite some time. They do not just shoot up river.

Good luck to you all.

Ken

#66 Ā· (Edited)
through with that river ,, funny story fished siuslaw today, as i was pulling boat on trailer the stater whos always harrassing me writes me a ticket for one person in my boat not having a tag tried explaining he was not fishing just along for boat ride,, we were only running two rods but had three in boat two of us had tags im really confused :confused:

#71 Ā· (Edited)
through with that river ,, funny story fished siuslaw today, as i was pulling boat on trailer the stater whos always harrassing me writes me a ticket for one person in my boat not having a tag tried explaining he was not fishing just along for boat ride,, we were only running two rods but had three in boat two of us had tags im really confused :confused:
I am confused also. I don't understand why you got the ticket, if you had a tag. Why didn't he give the ticket to the guy who did not have a tag. I don't think that a conviction would be possible unless he saw the guy who did not have a tag fishing. The ticket should have been given to the guy who did not have a tag, although, in my opinion, if he had gotten the ticket, he should fight it and he will win. Unless, the cop can say he saw him fishing, which he might do whether or not he saw him. What was your ticket for? Not doing a good job of being your brother's keeper? Why are you responsible for some guy fishing in your boat without a tag? I don't know of any crime for that.

#74 Ā·
I often have 5-6 rods set up and baited on the ready on the boat. Occasionaly, we have wives and grandkids along who wont/dont fish. Does this now mean I must make sure that I have a license and tag for every person and child on boat. How 'bout my bulldog, he is pretty adept at handling a levelwind!!! Sounds to me that he must have been an overzealious Stater. Was he OSP, a Sheriff, or ODFW?

#76 Ā·
Ain't no way the captain of the boat should have gotten the ticket, even if the cop saw the guy without a tag fishing. That guy should have gotten the ticket. But, if the cop never saw the tagless guy fishing, then no one should have gotten a ticket. Seems strange to me. Something is weird about the story or the cop.

#85 Ā·
There are some fish around between Brickerville and Swiss Home; a mixed bag of bright and dusky nooks as well as the beginning of the coho run. Its been pretty typical fall salmon for me, a few holes that consistently produce fish plus a few hot bites when the fish get to moving.

#87 Ā·
Hit the river today. Started at low slack and fished incoming. Huge tide. One silver and two on and offs. One jumped and spit the hook the other shook the rod a few times and disappeared. Lots of debris in the water, grass, sticks, small logs. Pretty messy. Saw one pig at the dock in Florence. Seemed slow to me.

Other reports?

#88 Ā·
We went out yesterday, 3 rods from ~11am till 6pm. Herring, Sardines, FBR's, Kwikfish, spinners.... One hard bite, but he popped off shortly after. Otherwise nothing else in our boat. Saw (3) fish landed around us throughout the day. As we were taking a out a guide was cleaning fish, they had 6 fish, didn't see 'em tho.

#98 Ā·
Finally, after a looooong dry spell the net finally went for a short dip. Fished Saturday from dairy hole to summer homes. Landed one nice, but wild silver and had one hard slap that didn't stick. Doesn't sound like much but given my serious and lengthy lack of success on the Slaw it was a major accomplishment. To the guys on the other thread that steered me toward zincs for my boat as a possible solution to my uncatchiness...a big hardy THANKS.

#99 Ā·
I
i checked the voltage in the water next to my trolling motor last year and found 0.7 volts. i added zincs but grounding the cylinder head of my non electric start trolling motor is what took it to 0volts and the boat is catching way better!!just a thought. hope it helps.

#103 Ā·
Heading over in a week or so and hoping to get an evening in on the Siuslaw. I'm hoping to find out what are the public river access spots between Mapleton and Whittaker Creek. Any places to avoid might also be helpful.

Earlier post mentioned fishing is closed above the forks.. I assumed this to mean Whittaker Creek or Wildcat Creek where 126 meets the Siuslaw, but as I look at the map I am wondering if 'the forks' is where Lake Creek comes in. Any clarification for me there? The regs state it is open all the way up to Whittaker Creek but that may have changed, I dunno...

Found http://www.dfw.state.or.us/resources/fishing/docs/2010_Coastal_Fall_Chinook_Seasons.pdf and it answered my question... Coho only up to Whittaker Creek... Alright good Deal. So I guess if I'm looking for Chinook I may be looking at Mapleton only...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.