IFish Fishing Forum banner

advice for jig beginner jig tying kits etc

13K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  bcav8 
#1 ·
so, after losing about 150 dollars worth of store bought jigs over the years, ive decided that im going to start tying my own. anyone know where the best place to get a top of the line starter kit would be?
ty!

#2 ·
go to Firstbitejigs.com and get there starter kit.... then buy their dvd on fishing and tying jigs.... by far the best kit to start tying your own and a lot of great information on the DVD as well.

#4 ·
You really don't need a dedicated kit as you can just start collecting materials and tools that will directly cross-over from fly tying.
One essential piece of equipment is a vice; get a good one ! And good scissors plus a cheap set for cutting wire and lead materials.
Hackle pliers, forceps, threads and bobbins & spools; whip finisher etc.; some good glues and you can make a bodkin for glueing.
Then you just start collecting body materials: feathers and furs; elk & deer hair and mane material, strings, yarns, collar stock, dyed bucktails, mylars in various patterns, rubber bands for legs; marabous in every rainbow, and some beads and wire wrapping; And anything else that comes to mind or your imagination can think up.
You don't need to spend a ton of money at one time aside from getting a decent vise. If you get a cheap one, you will hate it because you can't put enough pressure on your ties for the big jigs. A good vice has the integrity to really make tight wraps and a quality end product !
Have fun; The sky is the limit and the fish will bite - and it's pretty cool when they do !

#5 · (Edited)
Wife and I just started tying jigs this past weekend. Got setup at Rainbows End with the bare essentials ie vise, bobbin, thread, hooks, brass beads, a variety of schlappen and marabou, and a good pair of fine point scissors. Didn't go high end on the vise but we are very happy with it. It's a Zephyr Crown rotary vise, a Regal knock off. ]

Probably take a while to recover the initial investment but its a heck of a lot of fun. Might have to get a second setup though it seems the wife and I are having issues sharing vise time. LOL

#6 ·
A word of warning...tying jigs is addicting! Once you start it's darn near impossible to quit. Even more so when you catch your first steelhead on a jig that you tied yourself. I encourage all my customers and new fishermen to tie their own jigs. You get immense satisfaction tying your own creations and will come up with unique jigs that no one else makes.

Saying that, I would suggest purchasing the best quality vice you can afford. Other tools such as a good bobbin, scissors, and other tying tools can be found for reasonable prices too. Again, buy the highest quality that you can afford.

I sell all of the components for making your own jigs using solid brass beads instead of lead. Using brass beads you're not limited to certain molds so you can mix and match any quality jig hook to any size bead you prefer. This will allow you to create custom jig heads to your exact specifications.

Have fun tying.

Mark

#9 ·
If you've never tied before, I also suggest you find a beginner's fly tying class. Even if you are only interested in tying jigs, the techniques are all the same. The class will help you immensely.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.