IFish Fishing Forum banner

Brad's Super Bait Cut Plug

112K views 175 replies 83 participants last post by  fishin"G"man 
#1 Ā·
Hit the jackpot! Stopped by Bob's today and the guys were putting out more Cut Plug lures. These were two packs with no rigging, but looked like they had 11 or 12 different colors.

#49 Ā·
Hmmmm! I went to Brads website, watched the video and read the article. I wonder if anyone around Seattle has those. I might take a couple up to Ucluelet this week.

I've always been a sucker for a new lure.

#53 Ā·
Interesting Bill trivia: He says they look just like J plugs... (as stated above) and J plugs are a copy of something called "Lucky Louies" from back in the 30's!

Anyone use a Lucky Louies?

I told him he must be old. :)

#54 Ā·
If you do a search on "Lucky Louies" on ebay, you'll see some. I just did. Then Bill said he had a box of them. I think I"m going to do some product testing, too!

Jen

#58 Ā· (Edited by Moderator)
web site devoted to old salmon plugs of the PNW

There is a web page, salmon plugs of the northwest, (google) that shows very good,clear photos of virtually all the Pacific Northwest salmon trolling plugs developed in the 1930's and later, into the 1950's. My grandfather had many wooden salmon plugs including many Luckie Louie plugs in all the finishes shown above, as well as a large number of Martin plugs. According to the web site, it seems that Martin's salmon plugs might pre-date the Luckie Louie plugs made by Minser.

There were some really good wooden salmon plugs that landed many a salmon derby winner in the Columbia and the many derbies of the Puget Sound region. I've used the modern, injection-molded "salmon plug" style made by both Tomic and Silver Horde, often with good results. I hesitate to call the classic salmon plug a J-Plug, since its origins go far, far back before the J-Plug.

#60 Ā·
Re: web site devoted to old salmon plugs of the PNW

There is a web page, salmon plugs of the northwest, (google) that shows very good,clear photos of virtually all the Pacific Northwest salmon trolling plugs developed in the 1930's and later, into the 1950's. My grandfather had many wooden salmon plugs including many Luckie Louie plugs in all the finishes shown above, as well as a large number of Martin plugs. According to the web site, it seems that Martin's salmon plugs might pre-date the Luckie Louie plugs made by Minser.

There were some really good wooden salmon plugs that landed many a salmon derby winner in the Columbia and the many derbies of the Puget Sound region. I've used the modern, injection-molded "salmon plug" style made by both Tomic and Silver Horde, often with good results. I hesitate to call the classic salmon plug a J-Plug, since its origins go far, far back before the J-Plug.
You are correct. Martin was before Minser (louie), but Jack Lloyd waterwitch was before them.

#62 Ā·
I just got my 2nd order of Brad's within the last three weeks. Placed the order on-line and had them delivered the next day!! Excellent service and very polite. I liked the way they worked, found out they came in unrigged packs of two, so immediately ordered three more colors. (I like the way I rigged them better anyway.)

I don't know the folks personally at CR, but do wish I knew them better. Do a google search for CR outdoors in WA and you should find them. My experience with this company is brand new. It has been nothing short of EXCEPTIONAL.

Steve :)

#64 Ā·
We nailed fish in the ocean and in the B-10 area this weekend on the seahawk. I was surprised after thinking the blackjack would get them. BJ caught a couple and the seahawk dozens. We did well on hoochies too and spinners but the BSBCP did the lions share of catching. EASY TO BAIT, SCENT, and CLEAN off debris. Love them:thisbig:

#65 Ā· (Edited)
Well I fished the Blackjack and Mountain Doo for three days and only caught two fish while the other four rods in the boat were hooking up on fresh bait. I tried Tuna, Herring, Ancovy and just scent packs; I tried changing leaders, hooks, trolling speeds etc.... I will say they look great and did catch what may be my big one this year so it was all worth the experiments?? I'll try again this week :)

#67 Ā·
Just ordered 11 packs from CR outdoors, 1-2pack of each color, to give 'em a try...they were out of the Ladybug though. You guys think a bead chain and siwash or octopus is gonna be the best hook-up? I'll be fishing salt and the regs say barbless. Hopefully Weekender will still go fishing with me this fall.....:D

#68 Ā·
I changed out the Brads leader and used a Gami #2 treble tied to 50# FFF Flourocarbon. I put a piece of clear tube on the leader to keep the treble just behind the back of the lure. I put the large bead chain swivel back on the end of the leader and added a sampo swivel so no line wrapping. Seems to work good, now if I can just get it in front of some fish........:meme:

Steve :)

#70 Ā·
fished the black jack packed with tuna today along with two poles fishing herring at the ghost hole and even though there were very few fish around to be had my pole got slammed twice, they didnt stick though. I need to reconfigure the hook placement i think. I used a singe siwash hook off the back with a bead chain. I think that i will switch to a normal mooching set up. any thoughts on this? the poles that had herring didnt bring any bites but they were plug cut blues maybe the fish were liking the smaller look of the brads plug cut....its about the size of greens.

#71 Ā·
I need to reconfigure the hook placement i think. I used a singe siwash hook off the back with a bead chain. I think that i will switch to a normal mooching set up. any thoughts on this? the poles that had herring didnt bring any bites but they were plug cut blues maybe the fish were liking the smaller look of the brads plug cut....its about the size of greens.
I tied a single size 4/0 with an egg loop, then put 5 small (3-5mm) beads, then threaded the Brads on. We caught several at Astoria this week on both watermelon and black jack. This set-up allowed the lure to spin freely on the beads and got the hook back far enough to do some good. I wouldn't go with a mooching setup - I think it would only wad the line up as it spun given the weight.

I too ordered online from CR outdoors. Fantastic service, had my stuff within two days of ordering. Prices and shipping are reasonable.

#75 Ā· (Edited)
Interesting Bill trivia: He says they look just like J plugs... (as stated above) and J plugs are a copy of something called "Lucky Louies" from back in the 30's!

Anyone use a Lucky Louies?

I told him he must be old.
If Bill really is that old he will remember these. The old wooden Cut Plug in size #3 & #4.
Not sure of the age on these but I will tell you they catch springers now and then.:cool:. These spin just like herring. They were ahead of their time. The paint and reflective scales really looked good. Wish they were blue instead of green.

Whats old is new again

#80 Ā·
my pole was one of three rods out of my boat at the ghost hole and it drew the only two hits. its safe to say there arent many fish in the bay yet....cant wait until the biggies come in:D:D

#82 Ā·
anyone else have success stories to share with different hook arrangements? I am going to give the two hook set up a try tomorrow in the bay....hopefully they stick this time:meme:

#83 Ā·
We did some experimenting with these the last several days. They do work well. We were packing them with anchovie and they work great. What I did notice is that they go cold like a plug after a few fish. This means I need to go buy more:passout:

#87 Ā·
I won some of these as a door prize. I got the two pack without the hooks. This is how I set them up. I haven't had a chance to try them yet. I am hoping the treble hook won't act as a rudder and slow down the action. What do you guys think?

Is that a 1/0 Treble?

I've used these w/ a Treble on the end and it didn't impact the action. I've not used the siwash hook too. Since the plug rotates around the line, seems that's the hook that would impact the action more???

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.