IFish Fishing Forum banner

Fastest way to dry out your wader boots??

37K views 17 replies 16 participants last post by  Lured In 
#1 ·
Long story short, I took a drink in the lake a few days ago while duck hunting. My wader boots are still wet and haven't dried yet. I don't have a boot drier, so that's out of the question. What's the quickest way for a guy to dry out his wader boots so that he can use them...oh...say...TOMORROW? :shrug:

-jokester

#9 ·
You could dry a hair dries or heat gun. I would be very careful with a heatgun, though. It wouldn't take much to melt the neoprene, assuming they are neoprene waders.
Mike
Yep, Wife's hairdryer. That's what I use. She had an old one that one of the settings in the switch went bad on. So I tore it apart and re-wired it permanently on low heat. Hose clamped a Y and drier hose that I put into each leg.

I've had lots of practice with my Junk Hodgman Dura-Mags.
Yes they are leaking worse than ever....just not in the places I've fixed.
Hunt'nFish

#6 ·
Hello Aaron, I place before you two choices both will work, but you might not like the feedback from the other.

1) Use your wife's hair dryer, those things kick out alot of heat and can easily dry out waders very, very fast.

2) On your way home from work, stop by GIJoes, Bimart, etc and get one of those PEET wader dryers. Its not as fast as the hair dryer, but can dry out a sweaty waders overnight. I place my waders on the dryer after a hunt and they are ready when I needed them. Since the dryer doesn't generate alot of heat you can leave the waders on them for days.

As a newlywed, you must choose wisely grasshopper.

#7 ·
Go out to the shop, garage, backyard or the hardware store and get a piece of pvc pipe 10-12ft long(2''-3'' diameter). Cut the pipe diagonally in the center. Stick one in each of the boots with the diagonal cut side open toward the toes of the boot. Now stand your waders upside down with the flat end of pipe on the heater. I like to stand mine up on the register by my front window so it looks like someone standing on their head in the window. Oh BTW, it will dry them faster if you turn on the heat.

#11 · (Edited)
Go out to the shop, garage, backyard or the hardware store and get a piece of pvc pipe 10-12ft long(2''-3'' diameter). Cut the pipe diagonally in the center. Stick one in each of the boots with the diagonal cut side open toward the toes of the boot. Now stand your waders upside down with the flat end of pipe on the heater. I like to stand mine up on the register by my front window so it looks like someone standing on their head in the window. Oh BTW, it will dry them faster if you turn on the heat.
Yep, and then go back to the hardware store and buy a small circular fan (the kind used in wood stoves), plumb it up and plug it in, strapping it to a 2'x3' sheet of plywood flat on the floor with the legs in the air. Voila. Instant boot dryer and permanent storage facility for your waders.

My waders dry in a couple of hours max. A heat source isn't necessary if you leave it in the house.

#12 ·
I do have a spare...they're my Neoprene's though. I'd rather dry out my breathables and use them if possible. BUT I am prepared for Plan B :grin:

Thanks guys :cheers:

-jokester

#13 ·
Any heat that is hot will effect your waders seam exct.Plan on leaks seams neo ect.Newspaper filled.then get wool socks and suck it up.

Maybe ask for a shoe dryer with one to two extensions for x-mas.:Christmas:Any excess wader part roll inside out.:twocents:

By the way I HATE IT WHEN THAT HAPPENS...:laugh:All part of fishing and hunting.

#14 · (Edited)
Turn them inside out as far as you can, sop up most of water with paper towels or bath towels and then use a hairdryer on the inside of the boots on the lowest heat setting. The inside out parts will dry well now that they are exposed to air. you can even set up a box fan to blow on the now inside-out portion to expedite drying time. Was it an honest "hat-floater" or the "just over the waders hole"?
Gil

#15 ·
Was it an honest "hat-floater" or the "just over the waders hole"?
Gil
I was picking up decoys, and slipped into a drop-off. It was only about 2 feet deeper, but I lost my balance. I twisted and turned, and then caught myself at the last minute :passout: WHEW!! HOWEVER, I took one more step backwards to correct my balancing act, and the muddy bank gave way behind me...PALOOOOOOOOOOSH!!! :sick: I probably took in a couple gallons total, but it was a bit chilly.

-jokester

#18 ·
A very inexpensive dryer is to simply hang them upside down and let gravity do the dirty work. It won't take too long for the water to work out of the boots and into the legs.(Just make sure the toes are the highest point) Then simply turn them down and let the neoprene dry. If you have the time, they will usually dry on their own in a couple days of hanging.

You can buy a hanger for this or simply bend up a coat hanger so it has a couple loops to hold the boots.

I just use my Peet Boot dryer.:dance:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.