IFish Fishing Forum banner

Fog light law?

12K views 46 replies 34 participants last post by  KingFisher85 
#1 ·
Just curious if there is a law about fog light use? Seems like there are a lot of em in use when there isn't any fog, maybe people just wanna look good in the dark? It seems they are kind of blinding to oncoming traffic. Maybe it's just me?

#37 ·
But they make you look sooo cool! :passout:
My favorite is driving around with your parking lights and your fog lights on. Wow what a look.
My go to work is a little gas sipper, you tend to notice these folks a lot more in the small vehicles.
I think I need a set of aircraft landing lights on my roof...

#41 ·
Believe that there are 3 different classes of lights, Fog,Driving and Offroad. Can't tell you what the legalities of fog lights are, 'cause I don't know, but do know you can only have your driving lights on when it's legal to have high beams on.
Off road lights are just that, only legal for off road use !!

#43 · (Edited)
I just love it when a Super Duty or lifted truck rides my back bumper on the freeway. I don't think Oregon law has a height limit on headlight mount, only the drop in inches on a per foot basis.

Just looked it up:

735-108-0010
Aiming, Wiring and Mounting of Headlights for Motor Vehicles
(1) Transportation Safety adopts aiming, wiring and mounting requirements for motor vehicle headlights.
(2) The preparation for aiming of headlights shall be by one of the following methods:
(a) Mechanical aimer method:
(A) Calibrate the aimer for accuracy according to the instructions of the manufacturer; and
(B) Make compensation for the ground level in the aiming area.
(b) Visual aiming screen method:
(A) Locate the vehicle on a level surface, under normal load condition with the driver behind the steering wheel;
(B) Locate the screen 25 feet in front of the lens of the light;
(C) Adjust the screen to the level of the area on which the vehicle stands;
(D) Align the vehicle with the screen; and
(E) Activate the automatic (air) suspension if the vehicle is so equipped.
(3) Aiming of headlights:
(a) Aim lights according to vehicle manufacturer instructions when vehicle is equipped with self contained aiming devices;
(b) Adjust headlights to a setting of 0-0 when using a mechanical aimer;
(c) Aim the center of the high intensity zone at horizontal and straight ahead vertical for high beam, and aim the top edge of the high intensity zone at horizontal and the left edge at vertical for low beam, when using a visual aiming screen; or
(d) Aim lights according to manufacturer instructions when using other methods developed by vehicle or lighting equipment manufacturers for use on new vehicle and/or headlight designs. These methods are acceptable if they meet federal and/or SAE requirements.
(4) Wire headlights to meet the following:
(a) When headlights are turned on the taillights, clearance lights and marker lights will be illuminated;
(b) When vehicle is parked, the headlights can be turned off but permits parking lights to be turned on; and
(c) Headlights may alternate between high and low beams by means of a switch used at the driver's discretion.
(5) Mount headlights meeting the following:
(a) Securely, at the front on a rigid part of the vehicle other than window glazing;
(b) As far apart and symmetrically about the vertical center line of the vehicle per FMVSS and SAE requirements;
(c) Measure mounting height from ground level to the center of the lens; and
(d) Mount headlights not less than 22 inches nor more than 54 inches high.
Stat. Auth.: ORS 184.616, ORS 815.030, ORS 816.010, ORS 816.040, ORS 816.050 & ORS 816.060
Stats. Implemented: ORS 816.010, ORS 816.050, ORS 816.060, ORS 816.070 & ORS 816.230
Hist.: MV 9-1979, f. & ef. 11-9-79; MV 22-1986, f. & ef. 12-16-86; Administrative Renumbering 3-1988, Renumbered from 735-080-0020; DMV 3-1997, f. & cert. ef. 1-21-97

#47 ·
I have a lifted Chevy, with fog lights.
I also have a little ford low rider with no fog lights.

I NEVER notice someones fog lights being to bright. Its ALWAYS the head lights!

I have a hard time driving my little truck at night cause of all the bright aftermarket head lights on cars. Almost always if I have to drive at night, I drive my lifted truck just so I can be above the super bright head lights of some little rice burner.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.