IFish Fishing Forum banner

2014 Official Shed Thread

100K views 295 replies 109 participants last post by  codywhitney24 
#1 ·
Here we go for another year.

#2 ·
Well these arent fresh sheds but my daughter just gave me a skull mount the other day so I figured I would mount my favorite pair on it. Here is the ATL pic

And here is the mounted pic

I still have another set from this same buck that are 5x6 but not as fresh as these were so I chose these.

#6 ·
Been out fer about 8 hours so far this past week with no luck down in Southern Oregon. Have seen a couple bucks with one antler. I have only found one piece of an old antler, but I have been runnin' with my 2 yr old and 6 month old.

Couple weeks should be a bit better. I want to find a few freshies this year.

#7 ·
Been out fer about 8 hours so far this past week with no luck down in Southern Oregon. Have seen a couple bucks with one antler. I have only found one piece of an old antler, but I have been runnin' with my 2 yr old and 6 month old.

Couple weeks should be a bit better. I want to find a few freshies this year.
My advice is to wait till end of February or early March. Going out now you run into the very likely possibility of running bucks still packing out of the area. Good luck on finding fresh horns this year

#14 ·
This was found approx 40 yrds away from my trail cam.[/QUOTE]

Nice find! Looks a touch on the moldy side........may wanna git rid of it!:whistle:

Have you folks noticed many "new" rubs during shed season? What I mean is do deer rub much to remove their antlers like elk seem to do?

#19 ·
Sometimes...Sometimes not. It's kind of a crap shoot really. Or it depends upon your definition of close :whistle: I know that sometimes they drop them right by each other and other times they'll pack the remaining one for days even a couple weeks. Alot of variation in that I think. :twocents:

#20 ·
Lack of snow is going to make it hard for me this year. I don't think my normal go to areas will be holding bucks. My guess is that they didn't or haven't yet come down as low as they normally do. There is usually 2 or 3' of snow right now. As of last Sunday there isn't even a snowflake! I guess I'll be scouting some new areas. Hopefully this year the pooch carries his weight. He did well last year for only being a few months old (found 3 if I remember correctly). This thread has me jacked up! I'll be out this weekend fo sho!!

#25 ·
So beings I am finding deer sheds in this area, will the elk drop close to the same place?[/QUOTE]

I personally have never found an elk shed while looking for blacktail sheds. I should disclose that I am TERRIBLE at finding elk sheds. I've been out a lot of times and only found one spike antler. Last year's thread mentioned a lot of elk sheds being found in drainage areas. That's where I found the one that I did find.

#29 ·
Well I went out this morning and found a really nice set 3x3... :meme:

Unfortunately they were still attached to the deer's head. :doh:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.