IFish Fishing Forum banner

Plunking with herring?

10K views 21 replies 16 participants last post by  SpinGlo68 
#1 Ā·
I really enjoy plunking in addition to my other bank and wade fishing pursuits. I usually use Spin n Glo's with **** shrimp for my terminal gear but wonder if there is any reason why I couldn't plunk a cut plug herring into the current. I know it's not trolling, but if I can throw it out far enough do you think I might have any luck? Anyone tried it? Thanx, Be Well and Fish On! Mark. :meme:

#2 Ā·
I'm all for trying new things, what have you got to lose for trying it? I never tried to plunk cut plug herring however, I have been plunking spin n glos tipped with a green label herring filets. I do this in tidewater on the coast during outgoing tide. All I've caught this way so far is mudcats.

#4 Ā·
I do it in the spring run use a long drift bobber in the middle of a long leader 4-5ft or so and a blue dyed and cured herring on a mooching rig

#5 Ā·
I have also pondered this thought.I think a SnG might defeat the purpose of a plug cut but who knows.I have also heard of guys plunking herring behind a bobber just like they do for wobblers.

#7 Ā·
I used to plunk quite for a bit springers and still do occasionally now that I have my reeders back but plunking cut plug herring was pretty standard for me. Works very well with no adverse effects on herring roll. I would use a #0 or #2 with a standard two hook set-up, two beads between the hooks and glo....

#11 Ā·
If you are willing to do a little fabrication, below is a method that has out produced SNG's by far both from boat and bank for me. I think herring work better on there own than with a SNG in front. Also wine corks hold a tremendous amount of scent and provide more bouyancy than SNG's allowing for bigger baits and a more natural presentation.:twocents:

step one: drill a small hole length wise through a wine cork (for fast current or large baits use two corks)

step two: tie a bobber stop knot about 18 inches above the herring and slide a bead on the leader above the knot.

step three: slide the cork down the leader to bump up against bead and knot and slide another bead down above the cork followed by another bobber stop.

step four: adjust the cork to desired distance (I like 10"-18") above the bait and slather with your favorite oily scent.

Step five: rig brined cut plug (Brine helps keep them tough to survive casting) and lob cast into position.

step six: SLAY SOME SALMON!!

#12 Ā·
If you are willing to do a little fabrication, below is a method that has out produced SNG's by far both from boat and bank for me. I think herring work better on there own than with a SNG in front. Also wine corks hold a tremendous amount of scent and provide more bouyancy than SNG's allowing for bigger baits and a more natural presentation.:twocents:

step one: drill a small hole length wise through a wine cork (for fast current or large baits use two corks)

step two: tie a bobber stop knot about 18 inches above the herring and slide a bead on the leader above the knot.

step three: slide the cork down the leader to bump up against bead and knot and slide another bead down above the cork followed by another bobber stop.

step four: adjust the cork to desired distance (I like 10"-18") above the bait and slather with your favorite oily scent.

Step five: rig brined cut plug (Brine helps keep them tough to survive casting) and lob cast into position.

step six: SLAY SOME SALMON!!

#15 Ā·
Never tried it, but it seems like a good idea. Something similar to a wobbler setup is what I was thinking.

Three way swivel, two foot dropper, five foot leader with a barrel swivel at about three feet and a large bobber below that to keep it off the bottom.

I think I'll give it a go at some point.

#20 Ā·
Wow, some great tips Ifishers! That link to the old post on baiting a whole small herring was great and I'm definitely going to try out the "wine cork" float trick. Can't wait to try these methods out. Plunking's been slow lately on the CR, but will report back with results. Thanks again, Be Well and Fish On! Mark. :meme:

#21 Ā·
Another vote for the whole enchilada....I like anchovies with a helmet called the anchovy special...we have also used the spin n glo by hollowing out the back of it and inserting the head to the body of the spin n glo then insert toothpick to keep it in place. What you need is to eliminate the lower jaw so it doesn't blow out and ruin your spin. Works extremely well!!:cool:

#22 Ā·
Another vote for the whole enchilada....I like anchovies with a helmet called the anchovy special...we have also used the spin n glo by hollowing out the back of it and inserting the head to the body of the spin n glo then insert toothpick to keep it in place. What you need is to eliminate the lower jaw so it doesn't blow out and ruin your spin. Works extremely well!!:cool:
Wow..thats sounds like a fish killer for sure...So basically the glo is spinning the 'chovie right.The cork idea sounds good too..!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.