IFish Fishing Forum banner

Project: Building My First Aluminum Boat. VERY PIC HEAVY !

29K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  hawgslayer 
#1 ·
A good friend of mine came to me back in January and proposed an idea. He simply wanted to build a boat for himself out of aluminum predominantly for salmon fishing . He felt we had the knowledge and skills to do it, so why not.

Once the decision was made to give it a go he ordered up the plans. He decided to go with Glen L's Hunky Dory for the tub. It's a extremely strong ribbed hull that looks like it'll take tons of abuse. Once the aluminum showed up it was all or nothing from there.

We started in February, and to be honest it's going a lot faster then I had expected. With both of us working full time jobs it's hard to find solid time to put into a project like this. Not to mention we're both in our mid to early 20's and seem to be easily distracted.

So as the boat sits now it's about 23'6 x 8' with a 9' beam at the raised bulwarks. We decided to add a small trunk cabin and house to provide some shelter and dry storage. The foredeck is sealed tight from the back of the cabin forward to the bow stem. We're to the point now where all we need to do is put floors in it, wire and place all the electronics and have the marina of his choice install the motor and controls.

Our fingers are crossed to get it bloody with some Siuslaw fall nooks.

Here are some Pics:

Finally, This is where is sits as of Tuesday. Final float/leak test, both of which it passed. Once we get the motor hung we'll address the weight distribution issues ( she sits bow heavy right now, as expected )

Enjoy !!

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.