IFish Fishing Forum banner

Anone know of the largest salmon ever?

17K views 34 replies 24 participants last post by  STRUTTIN-1 
#1 ·
Reading the post on Steve Kolar and seeing that monster fish pic, left me speechless. Impressed or what?

Got to wondering if anyone knew of the largest salmon ever caught and it's size or anything? Wonder what strength line and other rigging was used or necessary?:what:

A trivial question as we all gear up to go do battle with this wonderful creature for the sheer love of it and the outdoors. :smash:

Happy "fishin" and hopefully "Catchin"?:bowdown:

#15 · (Edited by Moderator)
Great post :)

For the life of me I can't seem to remember the name of a guy from Oregon that was on the Kenai in the mid 90's that was fishing with his brother on the river that was a guide at the time and landed a fish that was in the 95lbs range. I thought It even made the books as one of the the biggest to ever be landed on sport tackle. I had a article of it and cant seem to find that either. Driving me crazy.....

Anyway, I have netted fish on the Kenai over 80lbs and my biggest personal record is 72lbs. I can honestly say, its a 2-3 man job to run a boat (in that fast water) and sucessfully land a king that big. Not a easy task, to say the least, and we have broke a few off including a couple 9ft heavy action rods trying to hold fish back away from boats and other <people> on the river that wouldn't move out of the way.

stumbled across this shot on the net this afternoon while looking for kenai records. Not sure who this is or how big this fish it but it was taken in Soldotna Alaska.

Talk about a monster, OMG........

#16 ·
Great post :)

HE LOOKS WORRIED TO ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:laugh:

For the life of me I can't seem to remember the name of a guy from Oregon that was on the Kenai in the mid 90's that was fishing with his brother on the river that was a guide at the time and landed a fish that was in the 95lbs range. I thought It even made the books as one of the the biggest to ever be landed on sport tackle. I had a article of it and cant seem to find that either. Driving me crazy.....

Anyway, I have netted fish on the Kenai over 80lbs and my biggest personal record is 72lbs. I can honestly say, its a 2-3 man job to run a boat (in that fast water) and sucessfully land a king that big. Not a easy task, to say the least, and we have broke a few off including a couple 9ft heavy action rods trying to hold fish back away from boats and other <people> on the river that wouldn't move out of the way.

stumbled across this shot on the net this afternoon while looking for kenai records. Not sure who this is or how big this fish it but it was taken in Soldotna Alaska.

Talk about a monster, OMG........

#22 ·
Pearl, your memory isn't too foggy... April-May 1991 Issue

About the cover: Ron Weilbacher shows off the second largest king salmon ever caught with sport gear. The salmon weighed 95 pounds, 10 ounces and was landed by R.W's client, Pat Plantz, on Alaska's Kenai River.

#23 ·
Pearl, YES!

GSD, thank you, that is it, im glad I said something. Pat Plautz, thats him, brother of Oregon guide Gary Plautz. Whats a awesome fish, and story for a local Oregonian:clap:. IF I remember correctly, they didnt think that it was anywhere near the record at the time and the fish wasnt weighed in until several hours after it was caught.

#24 ·
Actually, I think it is the opposite. I believe the Plautz crew rushed that fish in to be weighed. It was Les Anderson who didn't get his fish weighed for several hours (because the boat continued to fish) and many have speculated that his would have broken the 100 pound mark had it not sat in the bottom of the boat basically all day.

:cheers:

#26 ·
Actually, I think it is the opposite. I believe the Plautz crew rushed that fish in to be weighed. It was Les Anderson who didn't get his fish weighed for several hours (because the boat continued to fish) and many have speculated that his would have broken the 100 pound mark had it not sat in the bottom of the boat basically all day.

:cheers:
Hogmaster has it right. The fish was caught by Pat backbouncing sunken island hole a couple hundreds yard from our camp and they had it to the scale very quickly. The picture doesn't do it justice, it was a perfect chromer.
Chris

#31 ·
IMO, Those Kenai Copper's are far from spawned out monsters, most are fresh tide water fish just a few miles up river into the Kenai. Very good eating, some of the big ones may not be as good, but not bad at all. Back during that time, 2 fish limit per year, is what forced anglers to only kill the bigest from their trip.

#30 ·
They haven't spawned yet. It almost would be better if they had. But it doesn't matter. That fishery is highly regulated to allow escapement. It is difficult to let a monster go, but since it is legal, it is okay.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.