IFish Fishing Forum banner

Brownlee heating up

19K views 100 replies 34 participants last post by  Mad Mikey 
#1 ·
The crappie fishing is really starting to coming on now. Saturday we had a good catch on suspended fish 12- 20' deep, yesterday we hit the same fish and by late afternoon they had made a move to the bank. Water temp on the Snake got up to 59 and at Hewitt got up to 64. Had a fly fisherman on board yesterday who did really well on a sinking brown woolybugger. Had a few small bass as an incidental catch.

#86 ·
Certainly worth the long drive for many of us, been fishing Brownlee for close to 30 yrs now, back when we were young we used to drive after working swing shift on Fri. drive all night to fish with the crowds on Memorial weekend, & drive back Tue. morning to be at work by 4pm, too old to do that anymore, & don't like fishing with the Crowds anymore either, so an annual/semi annual week + on the res. in Spring is more then worth the drive for us, It's not all about the fishing, altho mostly, Camping right on the Water with plenty of Sun is something we don't have anywhere in western OR. during the Spring, Owyhee has had better Crappie fishing the past few years(didn't fish it this year) but we like the Camping better at Brownlee, we have found a few good Crappie spots here & there, but nothing compared to Brownlee, or Owyhee, + plenty of Bass, & Catfish too. :thisbig:

#87 ·
Wow. I have a 16' glass boat and am itching to take it for a 3 day camp n fish trip. I don't need a cooler full of fish but would like to get my 2 kids into some action. You know how kids go, if fish don't bite every 5 minutes, they lose interest real quick. Can someone give a fellow ifisher some advice and locations? Don't need a secret honey hole or anything. Just some good advice for someone traveling 7 hrs and having a good time. :meme:

#89 ·
No secret, everybody has their favorite area they like to fish, Brownlee is a large/long res. close to 70 miles long when full, May is a great time of year for Kids, Crappie can be caught from Shore with a Bobber about 4' down, put a worm on a bobber, & you'll catch Bass, Perch, & Bluegill, easy fishing for kids, with a Boat you can get away from the crowds, we like to go to the Idaho side for that reason, from the Graveyard area, Rock cr cove across & south from Morgan cr is a good one, Wolf cr cove across from Conner cr is another good one, this is the area I know best, keep in mind Rattlesnakes are present, & usually start to show around this time of year, Good Luck! Have fun. :meme:

#92 ·
Last weekend was some pretty fun fishing around Woodhead. Targeted bass and started at the Dam. We caught 20 plus quickly in the 12-14 inch range. Nothing to big. We then tried different locations and had the same results. Lots of bass and crappie, pretty much every where. If you found one you where going to find many more. If no action just move on. I drop shotted and did well, but the wife started catching bass and crappie on a small jig casting very close to the bank. You can see the jig in one of the pic's. So swapped to that and did very well also.
Here's a couple pic's of the wife and some of the many we caught.

Attachments

#95 ·
We have been at Woodhead for 7 days now and the water is warming up but the fish are not biting as well as in the past. We catch about 25 to 30 per day per boat in about 4 hours. BUT the fish are pretty good size.
Just not as good as in the past. Should be better soon. Spud

#96 ·
Sorry for the late report. Just got back from Hewitt. crappie are hitting on just about everything maybe we were just lucky over a 100 kept over 10 inches and many released everyday. had really good luck on red and whites on bobbers had even better luck on pumpkin seed crappie nibbles are always a plus. cats and perch are hitting on worms in the flats

#99 ·
The weather looks pretty nasty for the first couple days starting Sat for my week over at Woodhead. Anybody else braving the elements that week over there? I talked to the camp host at Hewitt park yesterday and she said there was a carcass of a 4 foot long catfish with a head 12inches across at the cleaning station....:thisbig: yikes!

#100 ·
We were at Woodhead for 4 days last week. The weather was awesome and the water warmed everyday. The crappie fishing was awesome, in the evening we could put 40 in the boat between two of us in the last hour of light. The size was great, pretty much all over 10, and I caught one that was close to 13. Any color crappie jig worked, I liked the brown body and chartruse(sp?) tail. We caught a ton of smallies but could never get on a pattern for larger fish. We did catch a couple cats. We fished mostly around Woodhead, within 3 miles or so. Spend half a day in the Powder river, but we were doing better in the Snake so we bailed out. My first time there, it was awesome.

#101 ·
Today. Weather was ugly in the AM but got a little better later on. Caught around 20 or so jigging from the bank, changing spots often and steering clear of the tent cities. Kept 11 of the biggest, only 3 over 10" though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.