IFish Fishing Forum banner

Optimax vs. 4 stroke

43K views 22 replies 12 participants last post by  hrdcormx 
#1 ·
Are mercury 150hp 4strokes that much better than the 150 Opti? Are they worth the extra $2000+ to upgrade to?

#5 ·
I really like my Mercury optimax it has been a great engine. The 2.5L 150 Optimax V6 has a ton of performance that the 4 cylinder four strokes cannot compete with. However the Verado fly by wire digital controls are silky smooth! I think either would be a good choice for fishing, if you are going to do some water sports you may want to look closer at the Optimax.

#7 ·
Have to stay with a Merc, it's what they offer with the boat. The boat is a 20' Alumaweld intruder(18degree v), will be used in lakes and occassionally in the CR. Comes with a 115hp, but I'm thinking about upgrading to a 150. Don't really want to pay $4000 more for the 4stroke.

#8 ·
I went with the Optimax on my boat. I could afford the Verado because you have to have the fly by wire controls. Ya they are nice, but.

#9 ·
I went with the Optimax on my boat. I could afford the Verado because you have to have the fly by wire controls. Ya they are nice, but.
I know you have not had the boat for very long, but what are your thoughts on the opti so far.
I am a fan of two strokes. Four strokes are nice, but.

I am thinking they (optimax)will run a loooonnnnggggg time and you will not be sorry. Give a lot of preformance and save quite a few bucks.
:twocents: anyway.

#14 ·
I only have about 5 hours on the motor so far. I will say I don't care for how it sounds. I went the Opti route because two friends have the same motor and it has basically been bullet proof for them. One did replace his after many years, but replaced it with the same engine. At 3700-3800 I'm getting 33-35mph and 7.1 gph that was during break in. I'll be curious what the fuel usage will be now that break in is done, I know it will use less oil now. 4250 was getting me close to 40mph. have not checked WOT yet but expect 5300 or so.

Another consideration in the purchase was the after sale service. I live about 2 miles from Steven's in Tigard and have heard nothing but raves about their service. I could have had it rigged with a Honda, but then I wouldn't be able to take it up the street for service on the motors.
What do you mean Ted? Loud? I always liked the way a 2 stroke winds up! Maybe just used to that Yamaha? Lol!

#15 ·
What do you mean Ted? Loud? I always liked the way a 2 stroke winds up! Maybe just used to that Yamaha? Lol!
Ya it is a bit loud and I'm still used to that quiet little four stroke I used to have. at 3700-3800 it hums right along and I know I'll get used to that. I do know this if you goose it you better be hanging on the acceleration is really good

#16 ·
Any more updates on the numbers you're getting (MPH, GPH, MPG, etc). I bought a 150 Opti that's being installed right now. Should be on and ready for break-in when I get back to Alaska on the 13th. I would LOVE to be getting ~ 5+ MPG, conscidering my current set up (90 Johnson carbed 2s) gets about 2.5MPG and gas where I live is $6.20/gallon.

There's no doubt, the Opti's are LOUD, louder than any other motor. I decided to go with one though because I need the hole shot when I'm upriver running my pump. Seems like the reeds are the #1 problem with them, so I may change to an aftermarket reed that won't damage the cylinder when one breaks. Something to conscider.

#17 · (Edited)
34.4 mph 7.1 gph = 4.8mpg I have a prop and not a pump so your mileage will vary

WOT I'm getting 5,000rpm a little low and 46mph. I played with some numbers on a web site and dropping down to a 17 pitch prop I'd get higher rpm but lower speed and lower fuel economy. I'm going to stick with the 19 pitch

#18 ·
Man, that's pretty good. Do you have a lift for your set up? I added a lift, mainly for the switch from prop to pump, but my buddies are getting some REALLY good numbers by getting the trim right, then lifting the motor to reduce drag.

Man, I'd love 4.8 MPG without compromising on hole shot. I'll be doing the break-in on Thursday and will report back with my initial numbers.

#19 ·
they are fast but you cant put a pump on them. The 115 merc 4strk you can put a pump but not the 150,175, or 200 which are the exact same engine except for the turbo....
I had my eye on the 150 but had to settle for the 115 because the gear case on the 150 and larger is electronic and not compatable with the jet units. If you want the extra hp the optimax is still the fastest on the water and able to take a jet unit

#21 ·
Well, I suppose I should update on my Mercury 150 Optimax repower.

The break-in is complete, I've got about 17 hours on the motor so far. The numbers I'm getting are INSANE!

With the 14 x 19P prop, I'm running a WOT RPM of 5200. A little lower than I'd like, but I'm sticking with it. I ran a 21 pitch, could travel very fast, but couldn't get the RPM's. I haven't determined best cruise, and these numbers are pretty rough, but I'm getting about 32 MPH at 3500 RPM and 5.5 GPH with the prop. The jet does the same speed at 7.1 GPH. Seems like 28MPH @ 6.3GPH is best with the jet.

Once I have more exact numbers (ave. of upriver/downriver throughout the RPM range) I'll report again.

#22 ·
the only thing i will say. i,ve never owned a boat i wouldnt have wanted just alittle more power and speed. if you can swing the 150 hp, i think you,ll always be glad you did. i would only get a 115 hp if i was buying a boat that i really liked and i didnt have the 150 option. just an opinion.
sherman

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.