IFish Fishing Forum banner

Yamaha 150 2 Stroke Question

6K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  foxer 
#1 ·
I'm looking at a boat that has a 1997 yamaha 150 2 stroke. The guy says the motor doesn't have an hour meter on it, but says the motor runs excellent. I don't know a thing about 2 strokes other than they are louder and smellier than a 4 stroke. What is the life span of a 2 stroke motor, and what should I be looking for if I'm interested in this boat? It is a jet drive. Thanks Jim

#2 ·
A two stroke is preferrable on a jet pump. Life span is varible depending on a number of factors really. Hours, maintainence, type of use. Type of boat it was on. etc, etc, etc.
Is he able to give you the history on the motor? That would be helpful. Yamaha's are generally good. If you took an average of 50 hrs a year x 15 years you are looking at 750hrs. Is that a lot. Yea, quite a few. Is the motor shot? Who know's. Do a compression check on it. If it is good. Buy for the right price. I would give it some consideraiton if it was the package I was looking for. That is just me. What kind of boat is it on?
I always figure how much it would cost to rebuild or repower it. . Ok, then if she eat's itself on the first trip, now what? Got funds to put back into it?

#3 ·
Agree, Yamaha 2 stroke have a higher RMP/power band which you need for a jet pump. I have a Yamaha 90/65 2 stroke tiller and it really responds.

And ditto on used outboards. I would add that generally speaking, guys like us do take care of our equipment and don't really put that many total hours on a motor. An old outboard mechanic once told me that he had never seen one that was "wore out". I would stay away from any motor that had been used on a commercial type boat.

#4 ·
Do you think the 150 yamaha 2 stroke is plenty of motor on a 18' predator. Sounds like it would be plenty to me. Sounds like as long as the compression checks out on the motor all should be well. How do the Yamaha 2 strokes hold up in the salt. I would be using it as much as possible in the bay and in the ocean when conditions allow. Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.