IFish Fishing Forum banner

130K fish cleaning station.

15K views 63 replies 40 participants last post by  Dummie 
#1 Ā·
#36 Ā·
Thanks Loper for providing some clarity on this subject.

Now for a tangent....

The R&E Grant Application noted; "A cleaner East End boat ramp/basin is anticipated as the fish remains from this facility will be returned to the river for nutrient enrichment. These marine derived nutrients are essential to the food webs of the lower river/estuary that are critical to rearing salmonids and a host of other species that are dependent on the Columbia river/estuary environment."

So why again can't we dump carcs Oregon?

#37 Ā·
Thanks Loper for providing some clarity on this subject.

Now for a tangent....

The R&E Grant Application noted; "A cleaner East End boat ramp/basin is anticipated as the fish remains from this facility will be returned to the river for nutrient enrichment. These marine derived nutrients are essential to the food webs of the lower river/estuary that are critical to rearing salmonids and a host of other species that are dependent on the Columbia river/estuary environment."

So why again can't we dump carcs Oregon?
It's not that you can't dump carks in the waters of Oregon. I read that they had to pay for and obtain a permit from EPA or Water Quality (some government agency) in order to do so. That suggests that as long as some money changes hands that perhaps science can go by the wayside. Everyone can agree to get along when they get to put their hand in the cookie jar so to speak. I'll admit that this is only my interpretation of what is going on and that I am all for more sport fishing and recreation facilities through out Oregon and Washington.

#42 Ā·
Oh god all i can think about is how bad its going to stink in there ! a few hot days in the sun and that room is going to stink bad with only the small vents it has ! and are they going to maintan it like they do everything else ! if that pipe plugs everyone will just throw it on the floor and there will be a huge pile of nasty just like local dumpsters !

#44 Ā·
I'll complain. At $406.25/square foot it should have been made of hand hewn marble stone with bas relief carvings on the walls of indigenous people catching the first salmon. An audio video center should have been included with videos of Julia Child showing the French technique for fileting salmon. The chandelier over the cleaning table should have included at least some semi-precious jewels, preferably diamonds. Those are just a few of the little niceties that one should expect for such a price.

Seriously, look at home prices after subtracting the cost of land, and we're talking about mansion-type pricing.

#46 Ā·
My math is like this:
Budget $ 130,000
Design -$ 35,000
Environmental Docs -$ 25,000
Boat & Motor -$ 40,000

Building cost $26,000

I would ask who pays the bill for cleaning the station from not only fish cleaning but transients, graffiti and damage. I would assume that being nice and dry this will become the local dope spot based on what I see are some of the folks you encounter along the path this sits next to. Maybe the port should consider a camera system inside, it could help keep.

I should add that if this was paid from the launch fees I like my money used to enhance the facility I'm using not going towards wages or unconnected funding.

#47 Ā·
I am sure there are some seriously raised eyebrows at 20% of the budget going for 'environmental documents'. Being in the river restoration design and permitting business, I think they got a good deal if they got away with that little.

ODFW, NOAA (Fisheries) (biological opinion & defense thereof), Corps, Archeological investigation, Coast Guard likely for barge permit & operation, Port planning, City planning, City building permits/inspection --- just to name a few and I am sure I missed a couple

StreamFixer

#48 Ā·
BEWARE..the city is now charging for launch fees! I didn't have a clue and got a $25.00 ticket...my fault...i will pay the fine.

I wonder why there was no local announcement. Seems like all were set up for failure to gain extra revenue threw heavy handed enforcement.

If better signage coupled with local announcement... Word would spread and most would pay... but today i saw every other truck with a ticket under a windshield wiper.

To the two guides cussing in the parking lot after finding a ticket i say i agree 100% with your frustrations. U bring more revenue to the city than the launch fee. I know you, like I, would have paid the fee... IF WE HAD SOME NOTICE!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

#50 Ā·
Oh yea. The pay station is well marked.

It was totally my fault for not seeing it. ... the thing that irked me was i had no idea so i didnt look for it.

Ive launched there since 91. It was second nature for me to just blindly walk to my boat after parking.

seems like heavy handed enforcement to gain revenue and pay off the 130k ...instead of taking a more understanding approach.

I would imagine 99% of those who got tickets today would have paid but were in the same train of thought as me.....launch and walk blindly back to the boat thinking of sturgeon!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

#54 Ā·
Fish cleaning stations can be paid for with Federal Aid to Sport Fisheries funds, more specifically the money comes from motor boat fuel taxes. These funds have built ramps, docks, parking lots, break waters to protect docks and ramps, and even fish cleaning stations all across the nation.

So there is a good chance the launch fee was not the entire funding source (or possibly none of the funding source).

ClearCreek

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.