IFish Fishing Forum banner

Budget o/u shotgun?

14K views 41 replies 28 participants last post by  tonedef89 
#1 ·
I know many shotgunners steer away from budget o/u's. But for a strictly upland field hunter, what are your thoughts on Stoeger, CZ, Stevens, etc...?

#34 ·
I had a SKB 500 that was sweet. I had to sell it when I was out of work.I shot AKC pointing dog trials with it when I was in Sacto.Had one problem with a firing pin.Wonderful upland gun. Recently I shot a Stoeger at a Lab trial as a fill in.Shot ok but could tell it wouldn't last long.Also shot a Ruger Red Label stainless.Very nice gun.When I run my dogs I leave my 101 at home.If I am out then I'll gun if needed. I got the 101 trap grade for $500 with aftermarket chokes.It's an original not the second series.Very nice gun for the money.You can still get them from Cabelas pretty inexpensively for that nice a gun.

Jeff Gruber

#39 ·
Ok so I am not sure what you may call a budget O/U shotgun... so I will say my idea is a decent gun for 5-600 bucks. What to look for: nice lines, opens and closes without an issue, fits, shoots well and looks like it cost more than it did.

I was looking at the Hugulas a couple of years back, price looked good but they were tight. dealer said that it would loosen up after some serious shooting.

called another friend that is a dealer and he told me to check out a Silma pointer. I picked up the M-80 pointer which is now the M-70. Cool part was it is an Italian gun at a decent price. Think I paid around 600 for it.

Shoot great, looks great, have received many compliments without shopping at Ross.

#42 ·
CDNN Investments is closing out Lanber O/U's at good prices. I believe they are made in Spain. They get good reviews on another forum, google Lanber and you will find it. Problem is that customer service will be nonexistent if you have a problem and you might not be able to find one to test before buying. Cabela's in Springfield has/had one and I thought it looked and felt pretty good.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.