IFish Fishing Forum banner

Crabbing in Newport 02-25-12

4K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  Barkeater 
#1 ·
I might have changed my mind about trying to crab if I knew it was the seafood/wine festival in Newport over the weekend. I think they must have gone out and caught every crab in the ocean for it. This was my second worst day of crabbing EVER. We crabbed for almost 6 hours with 9 pots (three of us in the boat) and got 6 keeper crab. We actually caught more cabazon in our crab pots than keeper crab. We had 7 of those things go after our chicken!

The weather was entertaining, though. We had sun and blue-sky patches, rain, hail, and snow, and crazy wind. And it rotated like that throughout the day. Nothing too bad, though. Everyone else must have known the crabbing was going to suck because there was only two or three other boats out the whole day.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
I might have changed my mind about trying to crab if I knew it was the seafood/wine festival in Newport over the weekend. I think they must have gone out and caught every crab in the ocean for it. This was my second worst day of crabbing EVER. We crabbed for almost 6 hours with 9 pots (three of us in the boat) and got 6 keeper crab. We actually caught more cabazon in our crab pots than keeper crab. We had 7 of those things go after our chicken!

The weather was entertaining, though. We had sun and blue-sky patches, rain, hail, and snow, and crazy wind. And it rotated like that throughout the day. Nothing too bad, though. Everyone else must have known the crabbing was going to suck because there was only two or three other boats out the whole day.
Those aren't cabazon...lol!

#6 ·
Everyone knows that 1 week after commercial crabbers go out sport crabbing is nomore. Why is that when there is a differance in size. Good Question. Any one ever seen a commercial crabber have his load of crabs scrutinezed and maybe fined for a crab 1/8" undersize.The answer is no and the reason? What is the fine for a load of 20,000 lb Crabs all under size I heard 500.00 if so the fine and punishment doesn't meet the crime.
So what was the money for shell license for surely not to protect the sport crabbing for sure.:doh:

#7 ·

crabing on the weeked is tuff

#10 ·
I'm not sure about the fish, but you do have some of the prettiest and cleanest crab pots I have ever seen. On the other hand, how the heck did you manage to find your way to the boat ramp? All I could see was motor homes in the trailer parking area!:doh: You must have felt like a Kayaker in a duck pond on opening day.:cheers: :stormwarning::argue::bigshock::passout:

#12 ·
Thanks, it's no fun to keep the pots in good shape, but I also don't want to have to replace them every few years!

The motorhomes and campers were crazy. When we first pulled in, I didn't think we'd have anywhere to park the truck, but fortunately they left the last few rows for the boat launch. After seeing the lines for the seafood/wine festival, I was glad we weren't there for that. That was nucking futs!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.