IFish Fishing Forum banner

2012 Spring bear

137K views 693 replies 115 participants last post by  millsymojo 
#1 ·
Whos going out the first weekend? I took a day off work the first week to get some hunting/scouting in. At close to $4 a gallon my scouting has been minimal, so I need to get as much time in as I can. I just hope the weather clears up a little bit....I know its not the best time of the season, but I know I wont kill anything if I dont try...

#93 ·
I caught some of your non-ifish posted videos.....

Still 0-4 on "backup"??

I couldn't believe that bear just didn't know when to call it quits, or maybe he was purposefully teasing you guys :meme:. Either way funny video...especially the couple "SSSHHH, Don't say that I'm filming."

#87 ·
About 5 years ago we had a freak snow in mid april. It was one of the most memorable bear hunts.
Today we had limited time, otherwise we would have made another stop that probably have shown the same. Something about creek bottoms that the EARLY bears like.
My main reason for this jaunt, was to retrieve a trailcam that he'd been in location for a year. Im doing test right now to determine if it still works.:pray:

#88 ·
Man, I so wish I could have gotten a spring tag this year. I'm jonesin' to get my first black bear. Since no one seems to be looking for company, i might just have to go over to the coast anyhow and see if i can find a bear or two, practice my stalking skills, maybe count coup on one!

#89 ·
I just want to heed warning for anyone thinking about hunting the coast.... It is a major mess. The snow caused ALOT of damage and pretty much all of the spur roads are blocked in with fallen trees so plan ahead. I went out Saturday evening to film some bears (if they were out) and only made it 100' up a spur that is 3 miles long.

#90 ·
I think it just really depends on where you are. Over towards Tillamook, it's not that bad. I went there saturday to go snow-shoe-ing and was shocked at how little snow there was. The only roads with enough snow were over 2000' and even then, only the roads that were on the north sides of ridges. I was up above browns camps/university falls area.

Wished i'd seen some bears though!

#91 ·
A three mile road blocked? PERFECT! You know you have it all by yourself then!:)

Hebo has 1.5-2' of snow.

143 hours to go. My wife and I will be hunting opening day together!:meme:

BU

#95 ·
Things look bleak for the opener,but the weather may break Sunday...I have a feeling that the bears are as weary of the weather as we all are...When it quits,I bet they will be anxious to get out and about...

Either way,baring steady rain,I will go Sunday,if for no other reason than it is opening day.. At the least I will get much needed exercise...I went shed hunting the other day and discovered I spent to much time in the driftboat this winter...LOL Need to get out!

#107 ·
"Bait for hunting game mammals means any substance placed to attract an animal by its sense of smell or taste,including, but not limited to, food items or minerals (such as salt). Applying a scent or attractant to one's body or clothing while worn is not baiting."

Did you gut that elk for the purpose of baiting a bear or did you place any portion of the gut pile in another area for said purpose?

I am doubting it is much of a draw a week or more after the fact though.

#103 ·
Roosevelt, i will see anywhere from 12-25 bear sitings this spring and they do use the same area year in and year out. The mature boars tend to use a couple cuts on the north end while the sows and cubs and some younger males will use the south end.

It is legal to sit on a carcass as long as it wasnt purposely put there with baiting intentions.

#108 ·
Roosevelt, i will see anywhere from 12-25 bear sitings this spring and they do use the same area year in and year out. The mature boars tend to use a couple cuts on the north end while the sows and cubs and some younger males will use the south end.

It is legal to sit on a carcass as long as it wasnt purposely put there with baiting intentions.
thanks, that was the impression i had, but have never looked for a spring bear. i know where there is a hog and the feed is good righ now, it is where i will be starting in the morning.

santiam338, i may kinda know what you mean:whistle:

#106 ·
I'll try and explain in a language that I am sure you know a lot about...Think of the woods like a steelhead river..Some "water" produces better than others...Some "holes" seems to always give up a "fish",while others do not...

Just like a river,the longer you spend on it the better you can "fish" it..

When you pull a fish out from behind a rock,or a bear out of a canyon, if its a good spot,seems like another always comes along..

#110 ·
Been out the past few days cutting wood and have not seen any bears. I have seen some elk and deer. The ground is saturated and have seen many mud slides in the past couple days. On a good note, a road a monster bear is living behind has slid in and is walk in or 4-wheeler in from the back side at the moment. Coos County. I have seen a herd of elk in a ranchers field everyday now. Tomorrow I will bring my gun just in case a bear comes along. My youngest son knows when spring bear season starts and he is only 5. Good luck to everyone. Hopefully the weather starts turning around.

#113 ·
:meme:

Good luck, y'all!:excited:

BU
Good luck back,but I canceled today...The weather report went from a few showers to "Rain becoming steadier".. A look at the satellite picture shows a rather large cloud bank moving in...

I know,I'm a chicken,but steady rain and bears don't mix and I am saving the gas for better weather...

I have some reloading I can do today...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.