IFish Fishing Forum banner

New Oregon Record Coho ?

16K views 68 replies 48 participants last post by  Jerry Dove 
#1 ·
I've heard from a somewhat reliable source that the Oregon coho record has been broken this past week or so caught out of Siltcoos lake. The fish was somewhere in the #28 zone, which blew past the previous record of 25.5 which was set in 1966. Like I said I have only heard, but not seen of it. Anyone else hear about this???

#6 ·
If this story came from one guy I know it will turn out to be a 12 lber. So hold out until you see proof of the real deal. Every year someone says they caught an Oregon record coho out of Siltcoos. This year it is more probable because of the great feed in the ocean, but so few coho have been caught it is hard to believe that one of them is over 28 lbs.:twocents:

#10 ·
Completely agreed, but the guy who supposedly caught it lives here in Florence. His name is Robert, and he works for AAA. Looks like I'm going to have to hunt him down, or wait until it's registered through the state like my source told me he did. Judging by the looks of the guy I very seriously doubt that he has an ifish account, so maybe he will have a picture I can get from him to post. I'll let you know.....

#11 ·
I dont doubt it.....someone might have to call the Sportsman (local sporting goods here in Florence)...im sure they would know if its legit or not.

Sounds like we are going to get hammered this weekend over here for wind/rain, so after that calms down I wouldnt be surpised if more record class fish are caught in Siltcoos.

#13 ·
hawgslayer, take two minutes out of your day and call him and ask him already!!:palm:

Better yet, call the marina where this fish was supposed to have been weighed :bigshock:

#16 ·
A guy I know caught a 38" (I think he said it was 35#) in Yaquina this year, tagged it as a Chinook and it was confiscated by ODFW when they wrote him a ticket. I saw the photo, and I swear it was a big Chinook, but not according to the ODFW. I'll try to get him to send me a photo.

#18 ·
A guy I know caught a 38" (I think he said it was 35#) in Yaquina this year, tagged it as a Chinook and it was confiscated by ODFW when they wrote him a ticket. I saw the photo, and I swear it was a big Chinook, but not according to the ODFW. I'll try to get him to send me a photo.
A similar thing happened to my dad's fishing partner a few years ago on the Nehalem! Dad SWORE it was a nook (unoffical weight at 34#), but ODFW said NO!! You'd think after 65+ years fishin, he'd know the difference :doh:

#21 ·
I caught a 15 lb hen today, but saw only one other adult caught in 6 hrs on the lake. No picture, but very true, I was there. More fish will move in after the next storm. If we get 2-3 inches of rain we should have a bunch of coho move into the lake. There are some fish in Siltcoos now and a friend of mine caught a 10 lber today and a 16 lber yesterday and yes, I saw both fish. All three of these fish and one jack were pretty darn bright, but no sea lice on any of them. See you all out there.

#33 ·
That is correct. PLUS, you can keep 5 jacks, under 20", providing of course, you hook into them first!

#36 ·
:yeahthat:

Lets not turn this thread into a lets worship wild fish thread please.
:yeahthat::yeahthat:

As long as the regs say that the fish is legal to keep he's legal to keep it. You're welcome to your own opinion but you should realize that it is just that and others might have differing opinions.
:yeahthat::yeahthat::yeahthat:

:palm: Not everybody gets to go fishing every weekend all year long...might be the only coho they get this year. If it's legal to keep, its a keeper.

"potential record".... exactly what does that mean? Why the need to trophy hunt? The implication is that you are only there for the inflation of your ego, and that my friend is a poor excuse for being on the river to begin with. That's the way I see it... :whistle:
:yeahthat::yeahthat::yeahthat::yeahthat:

#30 ·
My father in law got a 30# on the big C two weeks a go. I mentioned it being a state record, he laughed at me and said he has personaly seen a 42# coho in an indian net up at bonnie. He seemed to think the state record would be much heavier.

#34 ·
Most of you will blow it off because I aint got no pic but I got a coho on the coast day before yesterday that was likely well over 20lbs. By far the biggest I've ever seen, it was of course a native and fought like a beast so it was stressed out enough as it was. Didn't feel the need to keep him around for a pic.

#57 ·
Still havent gotten any pics of these supposed "record" fish. Sounds kinda like the 32 inch 20 pound steelhead we will hear about come December/January!!!! "It was girthy............" Would love to see a picture and would love to catch a coho myself that size. Guess I have to fish for them first, hunting comes before fishing in October........

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.