IFish Fishing Forum banner

kerplunking simon wobblers for columbia river salmon

30K views 34 replies 19 participants last post by  Wallywhacker 
#1 ·
Hello:

Ive been steelhead fishing and see people casting out those simon wobblers with a big bobber to float it. Does anyone have pictures of how to tie this setup up? I watched 2 fish cought on these but did not see the setup. A picture would be great if anyone has one. Along with which colors work/swim best. I know....it depends on the day but what to start with? At 8 bucks a wack Im not gonna get 2 of each...

Thanks in advance :flowered:

The salmon are here :meme: :applause::pray::applause::pray::pray: :doh:

I saw a HUGE :thisbig: one boated yesterday. So big was this fish that the guys went to shore for a picture afterwards.

#2 ·
No pics, sorry. Rig your leader like this:

3ft section with duolock on 1 end, slide on a great big float (one of those big old foam ones), slide on a bead to protect the knot, then tie on a swivel.

Now tie on a 2 foot section to the other end of the swivel, tie a duolock on the bitter end.

Now you have a 5 ft leader ready to snap on your main line swivel or snap swivel as you prefer. Connect the 3 foot section to the main line. Connect the 2 foot section to the lure - Simons, brads, alvins, Clancy, K lures, etc.

On your slider you might also want to run a little longer dropper than you do for steelhead.

Casting tip 1: Usually you want to cast way out into deep water. Use a heavy pyramid weight like 14-16 oz and sling it upstream so it will come to rest directly in front of you.

Casting tip 2: Try large marshmallow on the hook to keep the hook from tangling on the dropper or the float or any of the duolock snaps. When the marshmallow pops to the surface you are fishing.

Don't buy 2 of each color, buy one of each, and buy a lot of the plain chrome and flat finish metal ones. Add tape to those...Zulu style.

#5 ·
Within the last year (not sure which month it was) Salmon, Trout, Steelheader Magazine had an article on plunking with wobblers with diagramed and illustrated rig up's, I was just looking at it the other day but cannot remember what month it was...Im sure with a little research you wouldnt have any trouble finding out what issue it was in....

#8 ·
The bobber does not rise to the surface. The only function of the bobber is to keep the wobbler off the bottom.

You use a bell to let you know when the fish bites your wobbler.

One ding = a "drive by"

Multiple dings = "Get it, get it, get it. Set the hook."

Good luck.

#19 ·
kinda crappy but heres the basic idea. when you go to fishermans or where ever to gear up just ask them what the story is on the bank for nookies they will help you shop for all the right stuff
[/QUOT

This really helps me....Now I see it. I was gonna stick my float on my mainline....which would not work. Thanks a bunch Lucasmorter!! :applause:

:flag2:

Jay

#21 ·
It works better than you'd think. Especially with the marshmallow. My only problem was being able to hold the spool hard enough without slipping during the cast. I just use the canoe these days. I sometomes use a big hunk of concrete to hold down 3 of these setups.

#23 ·
This was from when I first began wobbler fishing....

My new revised gear consist of 80# braided line(I like Powerpro) the lure and float leader are 100# saltwater trilene mono, and my dropper for the lead is 40# mono. My lead for casting in 16oz.

I use a 13' ww.griggs rod titled "Columbia Premier" ..rod is rated 15-30 and I have thrown 20oz allday long when needed.

The float can be a couple golfball size floats to float a small lure like a simon in small exchange current and bumped up to a large egg size for clancy's or other heavy wobblers and huge current exchanges.

The pic shows the important beads, and general rigging....it will still work as in the diagram but I have lost a couple 50+lb'ers a few yrs back and now fish heavy gear....fish don't care and the float does nothing to scare off the bite.

#29 ·
I know a guy who killed the springers from the bank on them. Treble on the tail. Tuna with bloody tuna inside. Cork float in the middle of the leader. THe set up is the same idea as you see here for wobblers and spinners.

#30 · (Edited)
Thanks for the great info! I am just starting the Bank Fishing program & this is perfect.

Have any of you used a large size spin & glow instead of the float?

I am thinking of buying a 10 ft. or longer Spinning Rod & Reel to cast farther out. Any Ideas? Would a regular round reel be a better choice?

Thanks, Kokonuts

#32 ·
QUOTE=JDarr;3790463]Fish are dumb.

JD:twocents:[/QUOTE]

:yeahthat:
Like worrying about a clear bobber vs. black, wood, or anything else when you're running large bobbers. I'd read your comment on bobbers elsewhere, and it seemed spot on. Also hadn't used those clear plastic floats as i worried about them busting on coastal bobber caught nooks or scrappy steelhead.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.