IFish Fishing Forum banner

2013 OFFICIAL (non Buoy 10) Fall salmon run report thread

255K views 866 replies 243 participants last post by  Towguy 
#1 · (Edited)
It's 7/29 and fall salmon opens in 3 days! Anyone else excited to go dunk a Kwik or wobbler even if Buoy 10 hasn't blown up yet?

#534 ·
Couldn't resist going after work. Picked and released a 12ish lb Nate. The evening weather was stellar, the pics not so much (the real camera was at home). Glass calm, sunny, pretty skies and gorgeous reflections. CW
Cloud Water Sky Surf fishing Casting (fishing)

Cloud Water Sky Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies Afterglow

Cloud Water Sky Atmosphere Afterglow

#536 ·
I thought I would show you guys a nice fish from way upriver. This is my largest Salmon yet (only been fishin seriously for about 4 years since I spent much of my life with racing as my sport/hobby).
We spent some time at Ilwaco with fairly good success this summer, and tried Longview one day with wobblers (not a good day for us or anyone around us). Had a few pretty "exciting" bar crossings, but careful level headed navigation kept us on top of the water :excited:
Hit Drano a couple time too, with some success. All in all it has been an awesome year, as most of you know!!
I got this one on Saturday and another almost as large on Sunday, along with a nice hen, and a couple small jacks.
We were fishing in the Hanford Reach (Vernita Bridge area). Check out the weather - just beautiful. What more could a guy want?
By the way - all fish caught on Super Baits with tuna (various scent mixed in), downriggers around 30' deep mostly.
They are out there, go get em boys...

Attachments

#542 ·
Yes, I saw a guide boat on Monday ram into a small 12' boat while fighting a fish and not paying attention at the mouth of the Lewis. I thought the guy in the little boat was going in the drink for sure!

Pay attention out there, people!

#540 ·
Mom, dad and I went out of kalama after work and went 2/6, both nates. The 2nd fish was a 20ish tule. We reeled in, dropped off anchor and began to drift downriver. It soon became apparent that the fish had tangled with the boat outside of us, what a cluster! They had some interesting rigging: 40ish # mono mainline, 30# braid dropper and leader line. Made it real fun to untangle.

#547 ·
I took 18 herring to get three fish today. Not a bite all day until the tide started coming in above Warrior. Tried feeding the bait after a hit, three hooks, then finally had limited hook up success with two hooks. And yes, they are razor sharp. I believe I was Jack Attacked most of the time. Anyway, great day on the river for sure.

#556 ·
I went out for a coupla three hours before dark near Kalama. I had a nice hit on a chrome willow leaf bladed spinner with a red body, 28 FOW, on the bottom after high tide. With current I anchored, and "no soup for me".

Well, soup is where you find it, and I think this is a bowl full. C.W.

#558 ·
You can blame what ever you want but just about everything above warrior is dead. A few good spots but mostly dead, but down river it's 15 hookups min. What do you think is slowing the fishing?
Exactly what I have seen all season so far. Can't explain why they dont want to bite in that area??? A few good days in certain areas but not like down river. Used to. Not this year.
I call it the dead zone.

#563 ·
Longview today..slower than usual but I got one hatchery fish. We ran two rods for 2 nates released, and one that broke off the spreader. Never seen a spreader break in two before. Rainbow Simon did the trick. Now it is time to go for the dead zone for the afternoon bite where there are no fish.:whistle:

#564 ·
Went out for my last morning plunking for fall chinook on the Columbia. I did four 4 AM to 8 AM plunks and only got skunked once (which was today). Beautiful moon this morning for the "night hoggers". Good luck and be safe out there to all those that keep on keepin on.

Headed down to Tilly next week with David Johnson. Looking forward to that!

#567 ·
Has anyone up in the "deadzone" tried wrapped Flat/kwikfish or a U20 orange (red)? I don't believe for a second that there's a "deadzone" in the river. Fish are being caught from Astoria to the Reach. Actually, my experience has been that they aren't as deep as most people think they should be in this "warm" water.

GO GET 'EM!!!

#570 ·
Fished bonnie to the fishery today 4 rods kwikfish on the hook and back trolling. We got notta. Man some of the guides up there are awesome!!!!! When there's 40-50 boats and the only ones catching fish are coming from the same 5 boats somebody diffently knows what they are doing!!!! Checker had 32 fish for 12 boats at 3pm only 2 fish were from non guided. Made me feel Like a dong beater!!!

#571 ·
On the water report from kalama: five for fourteen so far. Three rods. Two doubles. One in the box. Two fish on the bounce back. Color doesn't seem to matter. Slower than yesterday generally, but still quite good.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 4

#574 ·
Wobbler fished below the mouth of the Lewis for the last couple evenings, couple hits but no fish. I don't think the evenings have been nearly as productive as the mornings this week.

Oh, and the tide was pretty slow to turn yesterday evening. Wasn't able to drop back till 6:30 or so.

I'll be at it this weekend.

#575 ·
Updated Kalama report: six for nineteen, one hatchery. The bite slowed considerably later in the tide today. Everyone we could see was getting fish, a few more than others. One boat much more so than others - we were not the hot boat. Color didn't seem to matter, literally every lure we put down got a bite. A chartreuse clancy was the hottest lure, with almost half the hits. Fishing a 5x5. Water temp was about 69.5.

#582 ·
Goble. You can get there by putting in at st Helens, but its a run, and you'll go right by the Lewis, which my buddies are telling me is just as good.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 4

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.