IFish Fishing Forum banner

How to bleed a salmon?

19K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  Tyeebuster 
#1 Ā·
Okay, maybe I'm getting ahead of myself but I want to be prepared just in case. I've searched and found many topics on gills vs. tail but didn't see any pictures. Could someone point me in the right direction or explain a bit more? Thanks.

#2 Ā·
for me the gill sare the best way, they bleed out a lot quicker and more... really there is no wrong way, just cut the gills in half on each side....simple as that. hope you get to do it soon.

Okay, maybe I'm getting ahead of myself but I want to be prepared just in case. I've searched and found many topics on gills vs. tail but didn't see any pictures. Could someone point me in the right direction or explain a bit more? Thanks.

#6 Ā·
#4 Ā·
For a tail cut you want to put the tip of your knife through the spine at the base of the tail and then hang your fish from the gills to achieve the best bleeding. Gill cuts have been explained well above. I think either way is very effective and have had good success with both.

#8 Ā· (Edited)
I just cut one side of the gills, then throw it in the fish box......I fillet everything so I don't gut. BUT belly burn is an issue if you leave them in all day.
Depends on the Salmons diet, I hear anchovies are bad then I hear krill is bad, our fleet has seen belly burn within a few hours, just a few pock marks begin, then rib bone separation will begin shortly.
One of our fishers DID NOT clean his 750# of salmon in short order (few Hours) as he was in a hot bite, when he got them to buyer the entire catch was rejected.

#10 Ā·
I have a 6 ft piece of nylon line tied to near back of my boat. When I roll a fish out of the net I threat the line mouth to gills with a thin metal rod and tie a boline. Then I lift the fish back over the side and reach down it's throat with a knife. I cut through the gills right where they reach the top of the head. On both sides. No mess in the boat this way and the fish bleeds out in a hurry. Couple minutes later it's in the fish box. ;)

#11 Ā·
I cut the gills and throw them in the box to bleed alittle water and ice mixture. It cools them and bleeds them at the same time. drain and repeat. (this really works well with springers when the sealions are around, the rope metod results in lost fish).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.