IFish Fishing Forum banner

Wenaha

34K views 110 replies 56 participants last post by  The Deer 
#1 ·
My dad drew the Wenaha archery big bull hunt and was wondering if anyone had any helpful info on this hunt. Places to go and look for elk? Looking to find that monster bull everyone else is looking for 350 class. Thanks for any info and good luck to all the other hunters,
Stephen

#2 ·
No offence but if you have been saving points for 16-17 years for this unit wouldn't you already no exactly where you will be focusing your attention. Not that tough of a unit. If I had the tag I would go deer hunting the first week then head over to hunt the last two weeks. I'm not talking about you but it just seems like over the years I see a lot of these posts about people who spent a lot of time saving points for this unit and are at a loss when they draw it. If you really need help send me a pm and I can point you to a couple good areas, expesialy with the logging going on this year.

#4 ·
I'm curious to know what makes you think that a few words typed on an internet site would help you find the monster bull you are looking for? I'm really being honest here. What specifically are you looking to get here?

#7 ·
Everyone seems to get bashed for asking for help......ITS CALLED NETWORKING!! and its part of the scouting process. Its no different than picking up the phone and calling a district biologist in that area and asking for advice or asking a buddy that may have had the tag a few years ago. This guy may already have 200 hours of scouting the unit....we don't know. But to ask for advice and do some networking is OK. Information is a huge key to success in anything we do...if this guy can pick up one or two little tips about an area that may help with the success of the hunt then by all means ask!!

Networking does not take the place of leg work and time on the ground. Its just one tool / piece of the puzzle!!

#9 · (Edited)
No offense, but everyone in the hunting world here in Oregon recognizes the persistence, committment, and good fortune it takes to draw this tag unless you just get lucky. Generally people have all their eggs in one basket for about two decades trying to draw it. If somebody gets a little short with you about information that's probably because they have taken this seriously enough to have invested some time familiarizing themselves with the area, scouting, researching, and networking for many years before they go. Nobody doesn't want you to have a good hunt. It's just that you need to get in the game and that isn't drawing the tag and then asking everyone to help because you have no idea what you've even gotten yourself in to. Treat your good fortune with a little respect. Get over there. Don't look for short cuts. Spend some time. It's pretty self-explanatory. Talk with some folks. Not everybody is going to give up a lot, but you'll get enough to get a good start. People are funny about this one......people take this tag seriously enough to drool. Give it everything you got and you'll have a lot of people trying to help if they see you helping yourself.

#14 ·
No offense, but everyone in the hunting world here in Oregon recognizes the persistence, committment, and good fortune it takes to draw this tag unless you just get lucky. Generally people have all their eggs in one basket for about two decades trying to draw it. If somebody gets a little short with you about information that's probably because they have taken this seriously enough to have invested some time familiarizing themselves with the area, scouting, researching, and networking for many years before they go. Nobody doesn't want you to have a good hunt. It's just that you need to get in the game and that isn't drawing the tag and then asking everyone to help because you have no idea what you've even gotten yourself in to. Treat your good fortune with a little respect. Get over there. Don't look for short cuts. Spend some time. It's pretty self-explanatory. Talk with some folks. Not everybody is going to give up a lot, but you'll get enough to get a good start. People are funny about this one......people take this tag seriously enough to drool. Give it everything you got and you'll have a lot of people trying to help if they see you helping yourself.
Im pretty sure thats what i was doing NETWORKING when i posted my post. We have spent time over there and research just figured we drew, i would ask around on the net or networking. Hunting isnt something my family takes litely.

#11 ·
Lots of good maps of the units out there. Invest in a few tanks of fuel, a good pair of hiking boots, practice alot if your bow hunting and then when the season roles around take enough time to really hunt it. If you really invest your time into hunting it you will have a great hunt. Hunting spots are like fishing holes, I prefer to make my own secret spots if ya know what I mean.

#16 ·
My info would be a little old as I drew it when the hunt first started 25 or so years ago. If I remember right I had about 12 points back then. I had been puting in for the hardest hunts to draw in the state and building points for that hunt before it was even thought of.
It still is one of my most enjoyable hunts.

He'll have a great hunt & I look forward to hearing of others hunting experiences on that hunt every year.
Good luck to your dad. I hope you get to share the hunt with him.

#17 ·
durning the bow hunt the elk will be all over. its not to hard to find them. look for large road closed areas. but the are all over near the road between troy and palmer juntion as well. i have found cow calling works the best there. i use a bugle to locate them then only cow.call when Im close or go in silent. there are so many bigger bulls if you bugle there to much they ofter feel intmidated and take the heard and move away. the satalite bulls will come to you but getting to the heard bull is usually what you want. they bugle more twords the end of the hunt typically. but every year is a little different.
there is a lot of cover but you stragie is basicly to cover a lot of ground. locate a herd and try to get a look a the heard bull. hard to do there some times cause there are so many satalite bulls around the heard that will blow your cover. thats why i often sneek ahead of the heard and try to let them feed by. sorry for the rude comments by others. always glad to meet other sportsmen.

#21 ·
Heckvwith all the negative fools in here... I will gladly help with dome info. PM sent

#22 ·
I put in for my Emily rifle, never been there, probably won't before I draw the tag, but once I do I'll be prepared come opening day. Not sure why so many people get so protective, it's not as if you tell a guy a good area and he's just gonna go waltz in and kill a 350 bull lol! It's gonna take some skill regardless. Just have fun, i'd help if I knew anything...and share the hunt with us when you return!!

#25 ·
Stephen,

Sometimes it's a tough crowd on here, for obvious reasons. People coming on here and wanting free info on units or hunts, that they've put no effort in researching themselves.....being lazy in other words. This couldn't be farther from the truth with your Dad. He is one of the best hunters, in all categories, but elk especially, that I know. A little background on your dad and you boys would of eased the responses on here. The time and effort your Dad invested in you boys, taking you dog hunting, and making the video "Kids calling coyotes". The countless number of elk he has called in for you and your brother, and every other relative of his. Always putting someone else out front, sometimes never filling his tag, but helping everybody else fill theirs. Your Dad is one amazing elk hunter.

I believe you guys have made some scouting trips over there the last couple years, in anticipation of him drawing?

I think if the people here knew how he has single handedly put a huge dent in the cougar population the last couple years, calling in HUGE cats for you, your brother and himself, they might have a different opinion on who they are helping out here. When your Dad takes something on, it's 100%. How many cats have you guys nailed over the last couple years?

Hopefully this helps out a little. If anybody deserves a little help from the hunters on here....it's your Dad IMO. He's a good man, a man of few words, but of man of action. There are a lot of good hunters on this site, and I see a few have pm'd you. Hopefully a few more will.

Tell your Dad congrats on the draw, and I hope he gets the :thisbig:big one he's been hoping for.

Chris

#29 · (Edited)
Stephen,

Sometimes it's a tough crowd on here, for obvious reasons. People coming on here and wanting free info on units or hunts, that they've put no effort in researching themselves.....being lazy in other words. This couldn't be farther from the truth with your Dad. He is one of the best hunters, in all categories, but elk especially, that I know. A little background on your dad and you boys would of eased the responses on here. The time and effort your Dad invested in you boys, taking you dog hunting, and making the video "Kids calling coyotes". The countless number of elk he has called in for you and your brother, and every other relative of his. Always putting someone else out front, sometimes never filling his tag, but helping everybody else fill theirs. Your Dad is one amazing elk hunter.

I believe you guys have made some scouting trips over there the last couple years, in anticipation of him drawing?

I think if the people here knew how he has single handedly put a huge dent in the cougar population the last couple years, calling in HUGE cats for you, your brother and himself, they might have a different opinion on who they are helping out here. When your Dad takes something on, it's 100%. How many cats have you guys nailed over the last couple years?

Hopefully this helps out a little. If anybody deserves a little help from the hunters on here....it's your Dad IMO. He's a good man, a man of few words, but of man of action. There are a lot of good hunters on this site, and I see a few have pm'd you. Hopefully a few more will.

Tell your Dad congrats on the draw, and I hope he gets the :thisbig:big one he's been hoping for.

Chris
Thanks for the kind things about my dad Chris means alot. Just dont want to be all braggy about him. I know how good he is at all he does. I think he a has the cougar call'n down. We have gotten 4 cats this year, between dad, me and lil bro. Got 1 in Dec.2012.But has called in prolly 10 this year. Again dads always looking for that monster saving his last tag for a big one. He's a one of a kind guy/hunter/dad. I couldnt tell you how many he's called in sense he took the kitty cat hunting on.. Alot though. I think cougar tags should be sold until quota is met so you are not limited to only 2 tags. Isnt a quota the goal of harvest.. If that was the case dad would be in heaven.. It's one hell of a rush have the master of hunters(the cougar) hunting YOU..
No i get were the guys are coming from just people should jump on yea when they dont know anything about you for 1 and 2 just asking a question. I get it hunting areas are secrete trust me we all hold things back from others in fear. I have enjoyed meeting and talking to the guys i have met and am greatful for any/all the help.
Thanks again Chris.

#27 ·
I don't have experience in the unit during archery season but have your dad guard his health and no risky activities are advised.

Last year I broke my collarbone two months two months before my rifle hunt in Wenaha. A lot of sholder pain. The year before had walking pneumonia the day my White River Deer hunt started. It could have been worse if I'd put in for an archery hunt in Wenaha or if I hadn't received treatment at urgent care.

How about posting a thread detailing how your dad lined up a few lion kills?

StevenB

#33 ·
I drawed that tag back some years ago. I got letters from outfitters who wanted to get in on the deal. wick
I hunted with my Uncle who I have been following around the woods since i can remember.
I would encourage you to spend some time in Jarbow and also Cougar Canyons. get down in and lots of tag alder and thick but that is where I got busted by cows when I had a huge bull getting bad after a tag alder and got busted by the cows.
You might want to enlist a packer to get you and your bull out of the hole.
Lots of cougars and bears. Also I missed gimmee shot at 8 point whitetail buck. Prawby would have got him if I had my my recurve but miss pinned with a compound bow.

Good luck and I encourage you to to share your adventure on this sight.

#36 ·
From what I can gather you are one seriously bad to da bone huntin family. Anyone who whacks and stacks cougs has got their man card for sure so it sounds like your pops will not be taking this OIL tag lightly. Apparently you have spent a good amount of time in this unit before and scouted in previous years in anticipation of drawing the tag? If that is in fact the case then you are already ahead of many hunters!! Also I think we all know that even if somebody gave you gps coordinates to a 370 bull it still wouldn't be a slam dunk, it's archery!!
I guess I just want to give you encouragement and say it sounds like you probably didn't need iFish at all because your family (and especially your dad) is old school and actually does research with the boot leather!! That being said go get em!!
PS: It's not out of the realm of possibilities that I will hear something about a monster bull in that unit and if'n I do I will let you know.

#41 ·
You will find Elk everyday and you will find a book Bull with a little boot work.
Go over a couple of weeks before season and look around.
PM me after you have visited the unit I will help out.

#43 ·
When you didn't have to draw tags I hunted Wenaha all the time with a bunch of guys. We hunted the Mirrow meadow, J-meadow, and Pop's meadow area and did quite well during rifle season and which is all north east of Jubilee lake.

#44 ·
Thanks again for the info everyone. Talk to a bio yesterdaay and he had alot of bad news about calf servival and all the cougars problems in the unit. Numbers are way down. Told him sounds like some people need to be hunting cats more. So we plan on taking our gear, hopefully we can help the unit out by taking out afew. But wouldnt suprise me if they are blaming the cat and the bigger problem is the wolves.. He also said they have the highest density of bears in the state. Told he sounds like something needed to be done asap.Happy trails to all.

#47 ·
Yeah alot of people like to blame the lions and they do there fair share don't get me wrong but the bears have a much higher population and they eat a lot of calves a day during the calving season so I believe they are hurting the population worse than cougars could ever do.

#48 ·
Just thought i would give everyone alil update on the scouting trip in the wenaha. So far have seen afew bucks, afew bulls no monsters yet. Killed 2 rattlers lil bro had a close call, good thing for his fast feet and the S&W Govner. Hearing afew wolves.. So all and all its been a ok trip. Just a update.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.