IFish Fishing Forum banner

If Walleye tastes.. .

11K views 69 replies 51 participants last post by  doc_63 
#1 Ā·
so good like people say and they are a predator to the salmon and steelhead smolt why don't we see them in our supermarkets? Is it mainly you have to catch them hook and line?

#7 Ā·
It's a flakey white meat similar to rock fish I'd say. Some of the best fish I've ever had was walleye from the Columbia......

#10 Ā·
Walleye is the go to fish up here. Its not that it tastes all that good, itā€™s that it has very little taste at all, so it tastes like what you put on it.

The natives net and sell them but they seem to totally wipe out every last fish where they net.

Many lakes have been totally depleted of walleye or pickerel where they are harvested. So for the sake of the salmon perhaps they should start netting them.

Take a page from the gun nuts and start rumors that walleye are going to be banned. Then the price will go up enough to encourage people to net them.

#18 Ā·
Next time you are there or the Corbett St. Fish House, try the Great Lakes Perch and the Chili Fried Catfish. Waaaaayyyy better than the walleye.

Fresh walleye from the Columbia however, That is some fantastic eating fish. Makes incredible fish and chips.

#22 Ā·
I love walleye, They are fun to fish for and they really dont eat many smolt. thats pretty much a proven fact that they dont feed on them as a staple but will eat one given the opprotunaty. One cormerant will eat more smolt than a 1000 walleye will in just one day. smolt run in the top 1/3 of the water colum and walleye are pretty much a bottom dweller. I have never gutted a walleye that had a smolt in it. and Ive caught thousands over the years from Saginaw Bay to lake of the woods to the columbia. Never seen one steelhead smolt or salmon smolt. Little perch yes> worms, crawfish but never a smolt. I think that grumpy old salmon snobs make those things up to complain about having poor runs.:twocents:

#35 Ā·
I have never gutted a walleye that had a smolt in it. and Ive caught thousands over the years from Saginaw Bay to lake of the woods to the columbia. Never seen one steelhead smolt or salmon smolt.
I think it's a time of year thing. I've cleaned walleye that were glutted with smolts. Walleye are pretty opportunistic - they will eat whatever is available. I agree that cormorants and terns are probably far more impactful than walleyes on the salmon runs. There aren't THAT many walleye in the Columbia.

#24 Ā·
I've had sport caught but still frozen Walleye and although it was better than Red Robin, it still wasn't as good as sturgeon in a side by side taste test.

I agree with LeechLaker, it is pretty bland at times. I look at it like large Ling Cod, very bland also. The two fish for folks who don't like fish that tastes like fish. Gimmy some fresh black/blue rockfish any day, nectar of the gods.

#25 Ā·
After all the hype of how delicious Walleye are, I just had to try it for myself. It took a while to figure out how to catch em but eventually I brought home a couple of decent size eyes. I was stoked!

A sublime Pride of the West/Hot Oil spa treatment was applied and I sat down to what was billed as "Hands down, the best tasting, take it over salmon any day, you haven't lived till you've had this, I could eat it every day" meal of my life....

First Impression: Poor man's black rockfish
Second Impression: Poorly handled black rockfish
Third Impression: I prefer black rockfish...or better yet Lingcod, or salmon or tuna or halibut or brook trout or crappie or smelt or sturgeon or or or

I'm still hopefull that some day, someone will feed me that perfect walleye meal but I'm thinking the next time I catch some they're going into fish tacos.

-Spot-

#28 Ā·
After all the hype of how delicious Walleye are, I just had to try it for myself. It took a while to figure out how to catch em but eventually I brought home a couple of decent size eyes. I was stoked!

A sublime Pride of the West/Hot Oil spa treatment was applied and I sat down to what was billed as "Hands down, the best tasting, take it over salmon any day, you haven't lived till you've had this, I could eat it every day" meal of my life....

First Impression: Poor man's black rockfish
Second Impression: Poorly handled black rockfish
Third Impression: I prefer black rockfish...or better yet Lingcod, or salmon or tuna or halibut or brook trout or crappie or smelt or sturgeon or or or

I'm still hopefull that some day, someone will feed me that perfect walleye meal but I'm thinking the next time I catch some they're going into fish tacos.

-Spot-
Hey now, the list of things I like better than fish tacos is pretty short. Or maybe it's just the margaritas talking, since those are pretty much mandatory to go with? :whistle:

#29 Ā·
Matt, if that's an offer this is the acceptance.

Boat, bank, kayak, it doesn't matter to me. I'm a fisherman 1st. Now the beer? That matters. :)

#43 Ā·
I catch all the halibut and ling I want. My two favorite white fleshed fish are lingcod and walleye. I'd trade two pounds of halibut for a pound of walleye all day long.

I don't even bother with black rockfish...give those away. Yellowtail rock fish are decent. Sturgeon? I don't even kill those anymore....not good and not enough of them left

#32 Ā·
Some responses to above comments....lived in land of the walleyes back in Minnesota for 30 plus years. Now here in Oregon for some 20 plus and have had opportunity to taste a few fish. I guess number one thought is they are eating some of your pie...they are having an impact on historic aquatic inhabitants....depends on who you want to share your pie. Too bad they are in salmonid waters in my opinion.
In my opinion yellow perch are better than walleye as mentioned...hard to get fresh fish to compare with our rock fish ....guess I would say similar to black and blue rocks but not as good as yellow tail rock fish. I do not know their diet in the Columbia but if eating stuff higher in various food chains bio-accumulation of toxics might be a concern as noted by mercury discussion above...size matters and older fish would have more mercury....makes me wonder about ocean rock fish at various ages and possible health concern. Fresh fish of any variety is pretty hard to beat...make sure when you compare apples and oranges they have been harvested and handled in similar manners when asking the taste buds...which is best.

#45 Ā·
Some responses to above comments....lived in land of the walleyes back in Minnesota for 30 plus years. Now here in Oregon for some 20 plus and have had opportunity to taste a few fish. I guess number one thought is they are eating some of your pie...they are having an impact on historic aquatic inhabitants....depends on who you want to share your pie. Too bad they are in salmonid waters in my opinion.
In my opinion yellow perch are better than walleye as mentioned...hard to get fresh fish to compare with our rock fish ....guess I would say similar to black and blue rocks but not as good as yellow tail rock fish. I do not know their diet in the Columbia but if eating stuff higher in various food chains bio-accumulation of toxics might be a concern as noted by mercury discussion above...size matters and older fish would have more mercury....makes me wonder about ocean rock fish at various ages and possible health concern. Fresh fish of any variety is pretty hard to beat...make sure when you compare apples and oranges they have been harvested and handled in similar manners when asking the taste buds...which is best.
:applause: Thank you. I'm glad to see that someone from Walleye Central feels the same as I do, on prefering Yellow Perch over Marble eyes.
And any fish you need to hide with tartar sauce is not worth eating.
If you "Need" more than butter, salt and maybe pepper, it's past the point of being "Good fish".
P.S. Builder, you may need to see a doctor, you could have serious problems !! :food:

#38 Ā·
That's the thing with some fish, it's all about how much stuff you dump on them that makes them good. The only taste test that means anything is plain old butter and salt. If it isn't good that way, it isn't good. Tartar sauce should be a banned substance.

Umpquanuts: Yea, tough to beat Yellow Perch or Bluegills, or, or, or.......

#41 Ā·
The best walleye for eating come out of the cold water lakes of Canada and I do prefer it to almost all other fish. I've had walleye from all over the north west and don't find it all that exciting. I like to catch and eat them but If they don't have a sweet flavor they are just bland tasting. Kinda like all spinneyrays much better through the ice than 70+ degree water in the summer.

#42 Ā·
Walleye vs Sturgeon --- hands down the eyes have it. It is firm, flaky and light. Sturgeon is a cross between a halibut and pork chop. I like my fish light and flaky, if I want a steak I will eat steak. Perch, Crappie, Walleye and some bottom fish are the best eating fish on the earth. Oh and Bluegill and Bass aint bad either

#44 Ā·
I don't get it either. They're extremely bland, and they fight the worst of any fish around.

Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike eating Walleye. I love pretty much all fish and sea food, but I would prefer just about any other fish over Walleye, both on the table and on my line.

My Dad's buddy is really into fishing for them. He fishes tournaments fairly often. I've always told my Dad I just don't understand the desire to chase Walleye, and he's always responded "Oh, but they're so good to eat." I'm pretty sure it's just a perpetuation of the stereotype, and not his conscious thought about the taste of Walleye. :D

#51 Ā·
The walleye I've eaten were delicious, but I do agree with several statements here by people who are less than impressed with them. Someone called them "fish for people who don't like the taste of fish" or something like that. I couldn't agree more. That's exactly the reason I've heard given by people who love walleye and even bass (gag) for preferring them to salmon/steelhead.

I still love it and prefer walleye to sturgeon. Really I'm a sucker for mild, white meat fish that have been breaded, fried, and dipped in tartar or cocktail sauce or wrapped in a corn tortilla.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.