IFish Fishing Forum banner

retirement = more fishing

4K views 30 replies 27 participants last post by  gpt 
#1 · (Edited)
Just thought I would like to mention to all those out there (besides me) who always want to fish but have to work around the work schedule. As of March 1, I am totally retired, put in for Social Security and will be spending an obscene amount of time chasing fish.

I can now go to Newport and just wait for the windows of opportunity instead of having to "chance" it on a close day. I will be seeing you-all out there much more often. I am even going to spend time trolling the columbia for springers.

I bought a house in Arizona last year just a little south of Tucson and I am looking at putting the boat in the Sea of Cortez at Rocky Point (Puerto Penasco) and fishing from there a lot of the year. I am not sure if I can fish in hot weather. I will still have my house in W. Salem so I will be here for Halibut and Tuna.

#2 ·
Yep, being retired makes it lots easier to fish when the weather is good, that's pretty much what I do. Usually launch my boat about 50 times a year to fish the ocean or bay plus fish maybe a dozen times with other folks on the river. tough to do that when you're working. One other thing about being retired is I attend lots of ODFW public meetings re: seasons and regs.

Before you get envious, remember that being retired also generally means being old, so "being retired ain't all good".
ron m
ron m

#3 ·
Seasick - congrats on the retirement. I was once stationed in Ft. Huachuca (Sierra Vista, AZ) and spent a few weekends in Rocky Pt scuba diving and fishing.

All in all I think you have a great plan to hit all the seasons. I may have to consider that in about ahhhhh crap 20 years!

Enjoy and post some pics of that Sea of Cortez when you get a chance to keep it fresh in my mind.

#7 ·
Congrats on your retirement. I made the leap about 2 1/2 years ago and have only gotten bored twice - took a nap both times and the feeling passed!

Let me know if you ever need another fishing partner or want to ride along for a change. I fish out of Newport in an 18' Trophy during the summer. Also do the Willamette for springers as well as tidewater in the fall.

#8 ·
I am not sure if I can fish in hot weather. .
Yes you can fish in hot weather. Fish early in the morning or catch the late evening bite. Get off of the water during the hottest part of the day. Or better yet, jump into the water and swim with the fish.

Enjoy your retirement, you earned it, and have a safe fun adventure.

#11 ·
I get to make some "difficult" choices, fish or don't fish.

Congrats to Wyndknot, great isn't it.

Bajadan2000 love your advice. I was actually trying to be funny about fishing the usually cold weather here but I am going to love the swimming. I shut the boat off in the columbia and swim all the time. I haven't been swimming in the ocean out of Newport of Depoe yet but I used to scuba dive and I love swimming in the ocean. Been in all the waters off Guam, Phillipines, and Okinowa.

union guy, good to here from you and I will not miss the staff meeting but I will miss the "conversation".

#19 ·
Well ..............
The truth is you will spend more time thinking about fishing.

I am pretty sure you will not fish a lot more than you did before.

You may fish more on weekdays and less on weekends, but only if you can find fellow retirees, firemen, or longshoremen, or out of work dock rats to fish with.

These things I know. :whistle:
Bob

#21 ·
Congrats to all the retiree`s and about to be. IMO you`ve done nearly as much for this country as a sniper in Afghanistan armed with a 50 and a steady hand, thanks. I started a business last Jan. and feel I`m closer to retirement now than at any time in my past. This also let`s me fish when I want as I can work long weeks and weekends when the fish aren`t biting, I haven`t fished a weekend day for winter steel this year. I`m getting tired of the long weeks and weekends, time for a fish! Bill

#22 ·
I bought a house in Arizona last year just a little south of Tucson and I am looking at putting the boat in the Sea of Cortez at Rocky Point (Puerto Penasco) and fishing from there a lot of the year. I am not sure if I can fish in hot weather. I will still have my house in W. Salem so I will be here for Halibut and Tuna.
Are we allowed to be a resident in more than one state? If yes, how do we file the tax?

#23 ·
Congrat's, it sounds like your going to be living the life we all dream about, fishing as many days as you want. I look forward to those years, in the mean time I need to figure out how to fish more while I work. Sounds billjr64 has got in dialed in for the working stiffs.

#30 ·
My 65th B day comes up in July this year but I'm sticking to the "wheel" till 66 when I collect the max benefits. This year I get Tricare, Medicare and Washington State FF pension bucks.

I'm jealous of your ability to fish when you want. I too own an 18 Trophy but there's one more year to make payments on it. Part reason for the extra year of work. My 5 IRA/pension/retirement plans were hammered hard the last few years. They're going to be rainy day funds instead of monthly income.

Besides.......... I just bought a Raymarine E7 FF/sounder/Chart plotter/GPS. That was like a months paycheck. Toys..... ugh!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.