IFish Fishing Forum banner

What line to us for plugs

14K views 33 replies 18 participants last post by  Catch 22 
#1 ·
I am just starting to use plugs for winter fish and have heard several people say different things about some of the newer lines. What should I use on the level wind reels when pulling plugs and How heave or light weight test should I use?

I do wish all of you a Merry Christman and may your holidays be filled with fish.

"fish only bite wet hooks"

#2 ·
I usually use 12 to 15 pound mono for plugs. For divers with bait back behind I'll use heavier mono or one of the new braided lines.

Search back a week or two for a post by David Johnson where he goes into some detail about what he does.

[ 12-24-2001: Message edited by: Pete ]</p>

#4 ·
I like Mono because it stretches and won't pull the hook out of a fishes mouth like braided line does. I have seen this happen. Some may argue with me.
I also like to use a bright flourescent green like solar or big game so that I can see where the plugs are working. This is particularly useful when you have several rods out at the same time.
12 lb is about the right weight.

Eric

#7 ·
thanks guys, I was thinking of putting on somthing like fireline or vanish or something like that. Dave, Don't the heavier lines resist the water and restrict the action of the plugs? I had heard that a light line allows the plugs to cut through the water easier and therefore allowing the plug to work better...Not True???

Fish only bit wet hooks"

#10 ·
I use 30lb Power Pro direct tie to the plug with the Tie Master knot. With over 500 Salmon this year in the boat I know of three Salmon lost because of Power Pro. Two of them came from strong "mono" hooksets which will definitely pull the hooks out. If your rod tip moves an inch so did your hook! The other was with the Power Pro rep who while getting the rod out of the rod holder pointed the rod straight at the fish...end of story.

Merry Christmas all!

Jim

#14 ·
This is proof of why the Ifish board is so great. You can take a not so good fisherman and educate him as he goes. While I have been reading the board for some time, I had been reluctant to post anything until I picked up a boat this year. All of you have been a great help in getting it set up correctly. We are all busy and it is refreshing to have David Johnson assist us in learning about our sport fishing, tatics, and equipment to use. I greatly appreciate the extra effort it takes to help. I and am sure each of us appreciates the sponsors and Ifish crew. Without them, well, let's just say that we are all better for having them tutor us along the way. Because of all of you, I get to fish with each story I read. It's a wonderful change from the bordom of working all the time. Thanks Dave, Nanook and Jim, I will swap over to either tuf line or Power Pro this week.

"Fish only bit wet hooks"
Keep them wet.

#16 ·
How does Tuf or power pro hold up for drift fishing or back bouncing with bait. Does it nick or cut easier than mono? I anticipate that the braided lines don't stretch and the hookset should be more gentle per the above statements. So if I am using plugs, and a braided line, I should have a somewhat less than strong hookset because there is less stretch. I am hoping to find that combo that works best with plugs.

#17 ·
The diametor of 50# is around the same as that of 12#. It is also way tuffer than mono in the area of abrasion.

I wouldn't even think of backbouncing without it. Using mono us like using a wet noodle.

And yes, the hook sets don't have to be as hard, although lately I've had a few clients that were used to trout fishing not conect and get the hook past the barb, even with TUFF Line.

After using mono for drift fishing all my life I do not like the feel at all of braided for drift fishing. I can't think of any one that uses it much for drift fishing. I know some people that do use Fire Line for drift fishing though. (I think Fire Line is a combo of mono and braided lines)

#18 ·
David, have a question. How many hookups to take downs do you get using tuff line or power pro? Do you credit greater hookups using super braids VS mono? Or, are they about equal?

What is the primary reason to use braids over mono? Is it better hookups, less line maintenance, plug action, fewer lost plugs?? Maybe all the above?

And, what type of rod do you prefer using braided line for plug fishing?

My personal preference has always been a fiberglass rod for plugging, just love the tell tale action.

That reminds me of a comment we used to say to friends on the river when they were plugging...."Are you fishing or are you plugging", translation....., plugging really isn't fishing. hahaha :tongue: :cool:

Gregg

#19 ·
All of the above reasons for using braided lines.

I do credit more hook-ups to the braids because of not having streach. Of course many times it's the angler behind the rod that counts. There have been a few days this past fall/winter that the hook set's have been pretty lacking, or the thumb wasn't on the reel spool, or the angler couldn't get the rod out of the holder....

I use GLoomis 9000 rods for steelhead plugging.

#20 ·
I have used Big game green the last two years with two old Fenwick glass rods (1970's)

This last Monday my 11 year old son was sitting alone in the front seat of the boat setting and working both rods. It made it easier for him when he could see both lines (green).

When one of the rods went off he did a double take on it and watched it throb for a split second and jumped on it, got it out of the rod holder and started to play the fish.

No hookset just firmly took it out of the holder
and started to play the fish. Both hooks were into that fish I had to use pliers to get both of them out.

#21 ·
I've tryed them all , in mono I like 15# izorline it comes off the reel nice no coils and is small dia. and the price is good.David the trouble I've had with tuff line is it likes to rap around the tip of my rods, it has a memory and if not careful a customer could break the tip off a Loomis.Thats whY I go with 20# or 30# Fireline,with 20# to 30# Coho mono shock leaders.Fish don't break off. :wink:

#24 ·
David and the gang, thanks for the input. I just returned from GI Joes and put on 30Lb. Power Pro. It has an 8lb diameter. I mentioned I had posted on Ifish about the line and the guy behind the counted uses the same 30/8 power pro line and stated it has been the reason for his improved hookups and less fish lost. I anticipate this will also be good for the Willamette Springers. Now I have to call in sick so I can go try it out. Will there be anyone on the Clack Saturday AM? :grin: :grin: :grin:

#25 ·
Dave, a small point on Fireline. It's made of the same material that all the braids are, gelspun polyethylene or "GSP". GSP lines are constructed in a variety of ways under different brand names (e.g. "Spectra"). None of these lines take color very well -- all the dyed lines revert to white over time. (See below for "Technical Appendix")

Fireline is a coated, fused GSP. The slick finish makes Fireline easier to handle than uncoated lines. It's also a little thicker for its claimed weight than the uncoated, woven GSP's (like Spiderwire -- see below). Because Fireline isn't woven, after a while it delaminates and flattens out (about the time the Flame Green color fades to light yellow). The line still fishs OK, but it's like handling dental floss and some people change it at that point.

As example of a woven line, the original was Spiderwire. Spiderwire has a soft, cotton thread-like feel to it. It's 100% woven GSP. This line tends to be the strongest for its diameter. It also is prone to tip wrapping, has relatively poor(er) abrasion resistance and is generally harder to handle in lighter tests (e.g. 30lb Spiderwire has 4lb mono diameter). It's excellent in 50lb and heavier test for backing on saltwater fly and big game reels.

What's a puzzle to me is how certain braided lines have excellent abrasion resistance and others very poor. I think the major reason is that non-GSP strands are inserted into the blend (either Dacron or something even tougher). Secondary reasons could include construction technique (fused vs. woven); type of weave (tight or loose) and number of strands in the line (12 and 16 seem to be the most common). As a longshot, perhaps different coatings make a difference. If anyone could shed light on this, I'd be grateful.

Technical Appendix (from Max Garth of Australia in an email to me earlier this year):

"DSM High Performance Fibres, Heerlen, Holland are the inventors of and patent holders for Gel-Spun Polyethylene fibres, or yarns, used in “Super Braid” fishing lines. "Dyneema" is the registered trade mark of DSM HPF and of Toyobo Co. Japan who are Far East producers of “Dyneema”. "Spectra" is a registered trademark of AlliedSignal Inc. who are license holders for production in America. There is little difference in these braids, since it is a high modulus product and very stiff, which means that there is not a wide range of fibre deniers that can be used."

Max Garth (July, 2001)

[ 12-28-2001: Message edited by: Snagly ]</p>

#26 ·
Due to a huge delay in the mail system I was forced to use 80lb tuff+ on my plug rods (reels were loaded with bobber line from last fall). We hooked 5 and landed 4 plug fish yesterday on HSR9000's. Three on hotshots and two on tadpolly's. All plugs had a 5' 12lb ultra green leader above them. The takedown was so vicious that no hookset was necessary, just remove from holder and play.... Joe

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.