IFish Fishing Forum banner

Simms or Korker boots?

13K views 32 replies 28 participants last post by  FishingTheWest 
#1 ·
I have neither but I'm going to upgrade and get one or the other. Instead of going to the store and listening to what they have to say I just wanted to hear what you guy's think?

#2 ·
I have both but my Korkers are a lot more comfortable and the boa ratchets laces are sweet for getting them on and off in seconds. I'll never buy anything else as long as Korkers keep doing what they're doing!!!

JD:twocents:

#4 ·
I've got a pair of each and been pretty happy with both, but they're very different styles so it's not a very direct comparison. The Simms I have are a much burlier construction and thus also much heavier; they mostly get used in the winter when I'm bushwhacking as much or more than I'm actually in the water. The Korkers are a lot lighter and feel almost more like athletic shoes and get worn in the summer when I'm wet wading and/or boating since I can swap in the studless soles. I probably have more miles on the Simms and other than a new set of laces they've been utterly bombproof over several seasons.

So bottom line, I'd get either again, depending on what model/features you're looking at for whatever price range.

#5 ·
I have both brands as well and have been very happy with my Korkers. Like any shoe though, go with what fits the best. Comfort is priority. The boa system is great but for multiday or travel situations I take my boots that have regular laces that are easier to repair in the field. Just a thought, but not that big of a deal.

#15 ·
I've been a Chota loyalist for a few years. I use the ones with felt and screw in studs (can't remember what they're called). I put many miles on them and am on my 3rd pair. I bought new ones because the felts were toast, not because of the boots themselves. The boots are still rock solid.

I also have a pair of Simms that I bought on clearance about 1.5 years ago that I think were the previous version of Headwaters? I really like them too. The rubbers soles are nearly useless alone, but screw in the star cleats and I actually get around better with them than the Chotas on most surfaces. Theyre also rock solid construction and comfortable. I'm a fan mainly because they run WAY cheaper than other Simms models which I'm sure are great too if you don't mind the $$.

#8 ·
Simms are BY FAR better quality and more comfortable boot and have more support for the wader then any other boot on the market.

However Korkers are an awesome product for the half the money in many cases and for me a boot only lasts a short time becuase I walk so far in them.

They are both great products and I don't endorse one or the other because I get a better deal or one brand for free.

#9 ·
I wear my Korkers alot, and love the Boa system. But I cannot get it tight enough when I have to do some walking or hiking. And I have heard that from others who wear them as well. Keep that in mind, if you are going to do alot of hiking in them, rock climbing, maybe look at a model with laces.

#13 ·
I've heard that too, I was told that there is another pair of korkers that go higher up on the ankles that tighten up better. I think I'm going to try out the metalheads and give em a go. Thanks for the info fellas.:flag2:

#11 ·
Looks like both are made in China....oh well. My Simms boots have been the best I have owned thus far...Never tried Korkers. I was hoping Korkers were made closer to home. They seem to explain their roots of growing up in Grants Pass, OR but forgot to mention on their website where they are made now. Correct if wrong, of course. I do like my Simms though.....

#14 ·
I have Korkers with more conventional laces. Had them a year, and very good luck so far. Really nice to have the option on changing the soles for conditions. Even though they are made in China, some of the money stays here in Portland. Korkers new KGB model might be good for those covering lots of miles on the ground.
Sent from Tapatalk

#16 ·
I've got the metalheads too. That lacing system is pretty cool most of the time but sometimes you can't get them tight enough and other times you get them so tight it's hard to get them off. I probably would have gotten Simms if I could have found them when I needed them with felt.

#33 ·
Have any of you worn your korkers razor clamming? I'm considering korkers, but am concerned about sand and salt in the boa system and getting under
the soles.

I got the metalheads last night, they are light and the boa system is slick. As far as razor clamming or pumping shrimp I'll stick with my hip waders because of the sand factor getting underneath the knob of the boa laces but they are easy to clean and I think I was told that the boa lace system is pretty much a lifetime warranty, if I had any problems they would fix it.

#20 ·
I just got a pair of korkers this year. I was very skeptical because an old buddy of mine had a pair and I remember 2 different times when we had to back track to try and find one of his soles that had fallen out. But I got a pair as a Christmas present and haven't had any problems yet. I really like how light they are.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

#22 ·
I have korker. They pretty good if you fish from boat and somtimes get out and walk around. If you do alot of hiking you should get the simms. The korkers great design but when your mucking around in mud and various areas the soles tend to pop off and leave you stuck with a flat tire. Had that happen to me

#26 ·
I bought my first korkers this year and really like them. I am sold on them from now on. If you shop at the Tigard Fisherman's a Korkers Rep now works there at the back counter. Just ask for Chad

I do have two complaints that I can deal with they are

1. The boa lace system doesn't get as tight as I would like for hiking
2. After almost every trip I have to take the boa ratchet off and clean the gears out to get them to work again.

#29 ·
I just had to make this very decision last week. I was at fisherman's in delta park, my buddy and I were looking at Simms boots, when the Corkers rep approached us. He was very friendly and had lots of info to share. In the end I went with the Simms. The Corkers have some cool options, like the interchangeable sole, and ratchet laces. But I compared them to a car with wipers on the headlights. The more moving parts or places where mud can get into the faster you are going to need to do maintenance on them. Only been out once with my new Simms but I really liked them. Lots of support and the Vibram sole was sticky like glue! Now its time for a new pair of waders!

Joe

#31 ·
Simms boots are by far on top of the game, especially since they went back to felt. Better construction, durability and longevity. The only complaint is that you can go through a set of laces every once in awhile but that is because of the fact that they use metal grommets for the laces to go through. Both are good companies but simms will be the only one that gets my money.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.