IFish Fishing Forum banner

If I was going to buy a high-end salmon reel...

• I would prefer a right-hand retrieve

Votes: 112 30.9%
  • I would prefer a left-hand retrieve

Votes: 238 65.6%
  • I would not purchase a high-end salmon reel

Votes: 13 3.6%

Left-hand vs. Right-hand Retrieve

22K views 134 replies 81 participants last post by  K7drifter 
#1 · (Edited)
This is a bit like beating a dead horse (because I've seen threads asking the same question before); however, I'd like to get some polling data on it.

Real simple: if you were going to purchase a high-end salmon reel (like a Tekota, for example), would you prefer a right-hand or left-hand retrieve?

This poll assumes that you would actually purchase a "High-End" salmon reel if it was available, so, if you wouldn't buy one, even if it was available, please choose the third option.

RW

#87 ·
Why do people have to make a big deal over how they fish?
And have to come up with reasons why what they do is so much better than what other people do?
I fish the way I want and everyone else can fish the way they want
And if they don't like the way I fish, then they can go fish elsewhere

MICHAEL BEAMER

#90 ·
left spinning,right baitcaster like god intended!ha! but i voted that i would'nt buy the high end reel for one reason,and its a bummer!but,the crime rate on the I-5 corridor,the big cities,and even the beach is ludicrus:palm: I'll leave a ugly stick with a 320gti on the boat at the dock because i can afford to lose it,and it will catch all the fish i need:twocents:

#91 ·
I use a left hand reels on all my rods and I can under stand a right handed person casting with his left hand and reeling with his right but I don't understand a person casting with his right hand then switching to the left hand to reel with his right, that is like scooping up your food with your right hand the switching to your left hand to put in your mouth:doh: just dos'nt make a lot of sense. just my :twocents: worth

#92 · (Edited)
Driven2fish - “I've been drift fishing for a long time I know what works for me and what doesn't. I don't subscribe to that 90/10 chest thumping garbage…”

Lol…Your signature quotes, “feel the drift”….…really? I love drift fishing a hole next to a right-handed fisherman that’s “feeling the drift” with their off-hand, as I don’t have to share the fish with them. From your defense of the 90/10% theory, I can tell that hit a nerve…sorry.

Ducky – Assumption, nothing…as was stated before, if you chose to be stuck in a boat all day, and you finally get a take-down, then by all means use that dominate hand to crank that reel. However, if you have to get out of that boat, and do some real drift-fishing (aka, “feeling the drift”), then I’d hope you were standing right next to Driven2fish, and on the same hole with me…

Barchaser – “Sometimes, I have the drag light and use my thumb to control the fish. That would be harder to do with a left hand crank.” I too use my thumb to control the “drag”, as do most good drift fishermen. However, common sense and experience, would play to the fact that it should be much easier to “thumb” the spool if your rod-hand isn’t having to palm the handle of the reel.

I LOVE proud fishermen...

#95 ·
Driven2fish - “I've been drift fishing for a long time I know what works for me and what doesn't. I don't subscribe to that 90/10 chest thumping garbage…”

Lol…Your signature quotes, “feel the drift”….…really? I love drift fishing a hole next to a right-handed fisherman that’s “feeling the drift” with their off-hand, as I don’t have to share the fish with them. From your defense of the 90/10% theory, I can tell that hit a nerve…sorry.

Ducky – Assumption, nothing…as was stated before, if you chose to be stuck in a boat all day, and you finally get a take-down, then by all means use that dominate hand to crank that reel. However, if you have to get out of that boat, and do some real drift-fishing (aka, “feeling the drift”), then I’d hope you were standing right next to Driven2fish, and on the same hole with me…

Barchaser – “Sometimes, I have the drag light and use my thumb to control the fish. That would be harder to do with a left hand crank.” I too use my thumb to control the “drag”, as do most good drift fishermen. However, common sense and experience, would play to the fact that it should be much easier to “thumb” the spool if your rod-hand isn’t having to palm the handle of the reel.

I LOVE proud fishermen...
Don't worry if I ever found myself fishing next to you I would simply move.

#99 ·
Nor Cal Drifter does make a good point. Folks that work for a livimg or spend too much time on the computer will often develop carpal tunnel syndrome in there strong hand. This will lead to a loss of sensitivity in that hand. Thus if you can't learn to change you might catch less while drift fishing than you would if you were open minded enough to try something new. Since that leaves more fish for me, I say stay the course.

#103 ·
Watching my 6 year old boy land 8 salmon last year convinced me that you need your strongest arm holding the rod. The reel is to pick up the line that you have gained with the lift. Strength is needed in the dominant arm to be able to lift. Little kids are already over matched with a big salmon then ask them to try to keep the tip up with their weakest arm. That is goofy. The bigger the fish or the lead that you are bouncing, the more you need to use your strongest arm. Who would arm wrestle with their off arm? Head out deep sea fishing and check out which arm you want to bounce that lead all day with. No contest.
On a side note. Within the last year I contacted Shimano and they stated they have no plans of releasing a left handed line counter. Too bad. There is a market for it in the Northwest. I

#109 · (Edited)
Watching my 6 year old boy land 8 salmon last year convinced me that you need your strongest arm holding the rod. The reel is to pick up the line that you have gained with the lift. Strength is needed in the dominant arm to be able to lift. Little kids are already over matched with a big salmon then ask them to try to keep the tip up with their weakest arm. That is goofy. The bigger the fish or the lead that you are bouncing, the more you need to use your strongest arm. Who would arm wrestle with their off arm? Head out deep sea fishing and check out which arm you want to bounce that lead all day with. No contest. I
Teach your kid to fight the fish with more than just his arms. Anyone will wear their biceps out in a hurry on a sizeable fish. The trick is to just use your arm as a lever to hold the rod but use your body to pull on the rod (back muscles, abs, chest, even legs). Watch how the big game stand up guys do it - it's not about the arm. This is also why I am able to comfortably hold the rod in my non-dominant hand and have plenty of strength to get the job done. Save the dominant hand for the fine motor control job of turning the reel handle as fast as you can when the fish makes a run at you.

#107 ·
I am right handed and hold the rod in my right hand and reel with the left, My right hand is my power arm, and feels stronger when fighting big fish. But that shouldn't matter much I curl the same size dumbells with each. I switched years ago and never looked back. That being said I do fish for salmon, when the rod is in the holder with a tekota, as i have no other option.... Matt

#108 ·
Cast with the arm that you are most comfortable with and reel with the hand you are most comfortable with
Anybody that has a problem with that must have such a perfect life that this petty thing is so important to them
Have fun fishing and stop worrying about what kjnd of gear the guy next to you is using

#112 ·
Huntsman said:
lol

You're the best.

#115 ·
Ya ever notice those "bass" fishermen on tv? They cast, switch hands with the rod, then reel in. Something wrong with that picture. It's like they don't even know left hand reels exist.

The "left" coast was made for "left" crank reels. They won't work in the Eastern time zone.

#117 ·
As said above, I have talked to a lot of the factory reps, and left handed reels are almost all west of the
missippi river and a small % of their market! So they don't want to retool for such a smaller %. And I vote for the lefty's, and am right handed. Have Avets and Shimanos,and Abu's both for salmon and tuna and they are all lefty's.. Try fighting a oversize or big halibut with your weaker arm and then answer the question, right or left! Its clear for me!

#118 ·
It has nothing to do with preferences, it has to do with reflexes. A right handed person's best reflex is typically with the right hand so the best reaction to handling the pole with a fish on is going to be with the right hand and the left hand can easily handle the reeling in action.:doh:

#119 ·
I can shoot with either eye, dribble a basketball with either hand, prior to the late 70's baitcasters only came in right hand crank, some of you experts need to get a grip.
Perhaps what hand you fish with isn't nearly as important as how good a fishermen you are.

#124 ·
Red states, blue states. Yep, got it ALL wrong again in 2012.

But hey, we live in the PNW, so the poll results should surprise no one.

For whatever inexplicable reason, the entire region leans to the left.

Or is it just the city guys?

#121 ·
I just got back from a invite only,bank fishin,sturge derby in southern idaho since my last post.there were left,right,upside down and backwards guys but one thing ran true-if you can't reel fast for bait checks or to let a fish through,its back to the tackle box to retie. I mean fast!with your rod tip up! I and most of the guys can only do that with right hand retrieve. that said i caught my last willy springer on a buddys left hander and was'nt a big deal because it was a different kind of fishing:twocents:

#130 ·
Over the years my left hand has become trained to do things... like run a tiller outboard or to twitch a rod when I'm casting and reeling spinners around docks and obstacles, and just off the bottom. Right hand crank for me. Fighting a fish doesn't require the same finesse, and if it is a large fish, both hands are fighting it. CW

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.