IFish Fishing Forum banner

Pink Mad River worms for steelhead

29K views 34 replies 25 participants last post by  PD Fisher 
#1 ·
Heard these are deadly on steelhead and I picked some up for some winters in a couple months. My question is best way to fish them. Under a bobber? Drifting? And do you use the offset worm hooks? Any info is appreciated.

Take em boys!!!!!!

#2 ·
You can fish them a number of ways for summer and winter fish. You might want to go on you tube and check it out. My favorite way is with a bobber and the best color for me is a white jig head and a 4inch pink pearl worm. Just thread the worm onto the naked jig. You can also put them on a regular jig pushing the worm up which will flare out the shank hackle area of the jig making a skirt sort of. Also, you might want to check out northwest wild country blog online for more instructions on bobber fishing. Bill herzog does an excellent job explaining his method of bobber setup using the pink worm. Good luck hope this helps.

#4 ·
I just drift them, never tried bobber with em yet. There are numerous ways to rig em, youtube can be helpful here. I like the hook about an inch off the bottom of the worm with the head up my leader keeping the worm straight. Drift em like eggs, and don't relax your grip on the rod because when they hit, it's vicious.

#14 ·
Not taking into consideration the amount of variables! Water conditions will dictate what works! So throwing out a 90% figure means very little when not taking into consideration river conditions. Like me saying a plug will outfish a side drifter 90% of the time. Apples and oranges

#13 ·
Have used them under a float nose first and nose up. I like the plain bubblegum pink and they seem to work just fine either way you rig them. I like running them with 2-3 smaller split shot at 3-4 inch intervals on the leader. Gives it a more natural drift. Always have these in your tackle.Have tried them with the jig heads without success, jury is still out on those.

#20 ·
Great vid!

P

#21 ·
Personally, I strongly feel that under a float is the only way to go. If fished properly under a float, the jig head is facing upstream and the current causes the tail to flicker- enticing the fish to strike. The jig also pulls it down to the bottom. When drifting, the worm floats so high you need to use short leaders and heavy weight to keep it on the bottom which doesn't create a natural drift.
An odd observation from my journal: The pink worm has only attracted native bucks for me in the past four years. My best worm day ever, I hooked and landed 5 in less than an hour. Each was a different native buck. I have fished them since with the same results. Just weird luck or a coincidence?

#23 ·
I have caught quite a few fish on them, I keep it simple and stick to 4" pearl pink, both on a jig head, and drift fished like anything else.

One thing I have never understood is why people put worms in a different category than other baits, for me they bite them the same, not harder or softer, catch lots of hatchery fish on them, just another offering in my eyes. I like a worm on a jighead more than most jigs...just a personal preference, I'm sure steelhead don't think about it much.

#24 ·
Worms are good.

Been doing well with rubber worm and spinner. Extend hook with about 1" of braided line. Thread the worm on to hook and braided line with head of worm snug up against bottom of swivel or split ring. I try to leave the tail about 3/4" below curve in hook to allow the tail to flutter. If the worm is too long, trim the head end for desired length. The 3" size works best for me.

Have also drift fished worms with sng or spinner on a leader.

I prefer the flavored ones to not.

#29 ·
I always thought that would be a great presentation for some fun bites to watch....and takes some evilness away from diver and bait, I would go with a bigger worm for that (5")

might not be a great method, but if I fished steelhead out of a boat, I would at least try it....because it might be. worms have a lot of inherent action.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.