IFish Fishing Forum banner

How to make a Hoochie Spinner

54K views 22 replies 19 participants last post by  Roostertail 
#1 · (Edited)
I hope you will like these steps I do in Making a Hoochie Spinner. I started making them because they can run up to the $20.00 range in the sporting goods store for the larger ones. I hope you enjoy this.

First I use the standard pliers.This is the smaller one. I would like to get the next step up for around $20.00.

The first bend is bent up at a 45 degree angle. Always the first bend is in the direction of the spinner.

The second bend (the short side) is bent down and around past the center as shown. Make sure this end of the wire is at least 2" for the wrap.

The third step is to take the long end and turn it down as shown in this photo.

The forth step is to bend the short wire around the round part of the pliers to the right side at a 3:00 position. This is where you want to add the swivel if you prefer.

The fifth step is to wrap the short wire around the long wire. Finish the wrap at an angle where it's flat with the loop to make the cut easier. You want to crimp the wire stub as flat against the loops so it doesn't stick out to catch on anything. This will take some time to get used to. Or you can use a file or dremel stone for a quick good result.

The sixth step is to put the blade on the clevis and slide it up the wire. You can use the plastic kind to inter change your blades, but I don't use them as a hard strike of a fish can pop the blade off. Make sure the colored part of the blade is on the outside otherwise it won't spin. Now the fun part. Choosing your beads. I like to start out sliding up a smaller bead first. Matching the tip of the blade. The working down with the larger beads. I had no pink beads to match the center color of the blade so I used a red one. Finally finishing off with the white beads.

The Seventh step is to slide on your Hoochie that matches the color scheme your trying to achieve. After sliding it on spread the tentacles out to slide on the bead that matches the Hoochie. Then insert it into the Hoochie.

The eighth step is preparing to attach the hook. This step is just the same as the first few beginning steps one through five. Don't make the mistake in bending the short wire first. Remember the short wire is for the wraps. Step three in turning the wire down is not shown here, so refer back to step # 3 Also before starting the bend you could slide on your colored tubing that will help hold the hook straight (photo not shown)

Don't forget to add the hook before you wrap the short wire. If you do you can use a split ring to attach to your loop and hook. This is the same step at #five.

The finished product

See less See more
#19 ·
Question: Is it ok to use a metal spinner clevis on lighter mono? I always see the plastic quick change clevis on mono. Thanks for the tutorial.
There's wire clevises and there's folded clevises. Even the folded clevis will cut mono. You'll loose spinners and fish. If you insist on using metal on mono, make your own. There's a ton of how-to info on that here on ifish.

Here's an old photo of one of mine.

#23 ·
I hope you will like these steps I do in Making a Hoochie Spinner. I started making them because they can run up to the $20.00 range in the sporting goods store for the larger ones. I hope you enjoy this.

First I use the standard pliers.This is the smaller one. I would like to get the next step up for around $20.00.

The first bend is bent up at a 45 degree angle. Always the first bend is in the direction of the spinner.

The second bend (the short side) is bent down and around past the center as shown. Make sure this end of the wire is at least 2" for the wrap.

The third step is to take the long end and turn it down as shown in this photo.

The forth step is to bend the short wire around the round part of the pliers to the right side at a 3:00 position. This is where you want to add the swivel if you prefer.

The fifth step is to wrap the short wire around the long wire. Finish the wrap at an angle where it's flat with the loop to make the cut easier. You want to crimp the wire stub as flat against the loops so it doesn't stick out to catch on anything. This will take some time to get used to. Or you can use a file or dremel stone for a quick good result.

The sixth step is to put the blade on the clevis and slide it up the wire. You can use the plastic kind to inter change your blades, but I don't use them as a hard strike of a fish can pop the blade off. Make sure the colored part of the blade is on the outside otherwise it won't spin. Now the fun part. Choosing your beads. I like to start out sliding up a smaller bead first. Matching the tip of the blade. The working down with the larger beads. I had no pink beads to match the center color of the blade so I used a red one. Finally finishing off with the white beads.

The Seventh step is to slide on your Hoochie that matches the color scheme your trying to achieve. After sliding it on spread the tentacles out to slide on the bead that matches the Hoochie. Then insert it into the Hoochie.

The eighth step is preparing to attach the hook. This step is just the same as the first few beginning steps one through five. Don't make the mistake in bending the short wire first. Remember the short wire is for the wraps. Step three in turning the wire down is not shown here, so refer back to step # 3 Also before starting the bend you could slide on your colored tubing that will help hold the hook straight (photo not shown)

Don't forget to add the hook before you wrap the short wire. If you do you can use a split ring to attach to your loop and hook. This is the same step at #five.

The finished product

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.