IFish Fishing Forum banner

whats the best motor ever made???

8K views 72 replies 54 participants last post by  MattPark 
#1 ·
Me and some of my buddies were having a few cold beverages and the topic came up of the best truck motors ever made. IMO i was arguing the 300 inline 6cyl is by far the best motor ever produced by any manufacturer. Ford finally did something right for once. Keep in mind i am NOT a ford guy by any means even though i have a (farm Ferrari 86 f150 2wd 4spd manual) with the 300, I have a 08 dodge quad cab 4wd, and i have a good feeling the ford will out pull my dodge all day long:palm:, granted im not talking long distance but on weight. I will guarantee this in 20 yrs from now my ford will still fire right up, not so sure on the dodge, The best p[art of the 300 inline is that i get 23 mpg on the hwy. i would be curious of what the fellow ifishers have to say.

(diesels need not apply that would not be a fair fight)

#2 ·
I had a 95 f-150 with the 300, I bought it with 68,000 miles, drove it about 40k more and sold it to my brother. good truck, just boring.

i'm fond of small trucks since I don't tow anything more than a drift boat, my favorite engine is the 4.3 liter vortec, my zr2 was a cool little truck until it went up in flames. basically same hp rating as the 3.4 Toyota motor, but waaaaaaay more beans, and they run a long time

#3 ·
I had a 74 f100 with a 300 6 in it. Sold the truck with 260k and it was still going strong. I have a beater 93 f150 with a 300 6 in and a 5 speed. I bought it with 300k on it and it is showing 340k on the meter at the moment, it doesn't get drove much, but it fires right up when needed. I had a 94 dodge with a 5.9, Ibought it new and when I traded it in, It was just shy of 200k, the only thing i ever had to do to that motor was change the oil and a water pump. It did go through 3 transmissions in that time though. I don't think many can argue the 300 6 is as tough as they come.

#4 ·
My favorite is the Nissan sd22 diesel. Not much power but gets 40 mpg. If it wears out you can pull the cylinder liners in car if you wanted. Mine has almost 300000 miles. Still runs good and tows my little boat fine.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2

#7 ·
Mercedes' 1978 5-cylinder diesel. A version still powers hundreds of thousands of pre-2008 Sprinters and other vehicles around the world.

In the U.S., the Chrysler 225 slant 6 (1974 or thereabouts) was a marvelous engine.

#15 ·
Had an old 1965 f250 camper special with the 300 -6 CYL.
When I had this truck many years ago I
was cutting fire wood at the mill in Estacada with a fella that worked there. Had side boards on the Old Ford and we loaded it to the top and all the way to the tail gate. The rounds we were cutting were not very dry.

We ran it across the scales and the gross weight was 10,300 pounds:doh: had to haul it all the way up to a friends place on Sleepy Hollow Drive. Some good hills between Estacada and Sandy. and that old 300 with manual 4 SPD. did just fine pulling the hills:applause: Not a speed demon by no means.:laugh:

That Toyota 22R was a dang good engine.

The 4 L in my 2011 Ford Ranger is no slouch for a small truck even though it has an automatic tranny.

#17 ·
Hard to pick just one. So here's a few I've tried to wear out.

7.3 powerstroke turbo diesel. It ain't pretty but it won't wear out. 400K and still going strong.

5.7 Liter (350) chevy small block. I've built probably 20 of these over the years and run one in my boat now. Nothing sounds like a 350 when it's turning gasoline into wide open power.

22R had one in a Toyota celica.

3 Liter (181) chevy. Mercruiser used these for boat engines. Best mileage and 140 horses. Tough little motor. This is the old Iron duke with 1.65 rockers and more bore. Like a rock.

#43 ·
I bought a 1957 chevy 2 ton truck from a old farmer in Brownsvile about 20 years ago to build a truck to haul horses in to the mountains. He told me he bought it new and it had only left the farm one time to go to Portland to buy a load of feed. I took it home and over to a friends body shop to steam clean and sandblast to prep for the new build. under the old red paint it was green and white and said 7up on the door.lol it also had a 1959 Michigan plate way back under the flat bed. Any way long story short that old truck had a 235 blueflame and it was still running 10 years later when i sold the truck.:flag2:

#28 ·
Gas V8= 318 Mopar for longevity.
Gas I-6=300 ford for pickups and 225 slant-6 for cars.
The Datsun L series four bangers were extremely durable in all their versions, with some of the highest quality, and most durable castings I ever saw (1600-1800-2000).

Among the diesels, nothing can touch the Cummins for durability, especially when loaded heavily, and regularly.

#31 ·
Straight 6's are hard to beat, gas or diesel, for power, fuel economy, and longevity.

Ford 300 I6 was the best gas motor I've ever had and I've had several 300 6's.

Cummins I6 is the best Diesel motor I've ever had.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.