IFish Fishing Forum banner

Best Boat Tower for fishing boat?

24K views 24 replies 19 participants last post by  dkseattle 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

I have a Thunder Jet 20' boat that I want to get a tower built and installed.

Looking at local people, around the portland area, I have found these.

Samson Sports - Camas Washington.

Full Penn - Vancouver Washington.

North West Custom Boat Works - Silverton Oregon.

My question is...any others you would use/recommend?
And, has anyone used any of these? What reason would you use them again or not use them again? Best price for the towers?

This looks to be some bucks no matter who does it.
I would like to get it right and not wish I had used someone else...
Options you would put on? Or something you wish you hadnt done?
I would like to have a Carb David installed too. I think one somehow attached to the tower side and then removable might be nice. You opinion?

Thank you,

Don.

See less See more
#2 ·
I have got a samson tower on a 20/34 luxor ob 1/2 hard top and it works pulling tubes,wakeboards and skiers.I suggest 6 rod holders up top and a net holder on the side.Have the lighted pilon for the rope and I would then add some16 guage wires tied to the pilon light wires and just dead end them in the boat under the dash,just in case you want to add something,you already have the wire run.I am out here in wisconsin so I dont need them thar Carb Davids so I have no ideas for you

#9 ·
Kenny at Full Penn built mine. Quality is second to none. There wasn't a single metal shaving in the boat under any mounting point, and everything is exactly where it should be. There are gimbal mounts and removable liners in each rod holders, making any of them a net holder. There are rubber liners to accommodate thinner butted salmon rods for each rod holder. The lighted USCG approved pylon/light eliminates the use of the factory anchor light, and pulls a wakeboarder out with ease. The welds are better than I could do myself, and I'm certified in a few tig processes. The wiring is clean and correct. The unit folds down if the need arises. The tower is a close fit, but it does not rub the semi hard top, and the top is still removable without folding the tower down. I looked at the others, and own a Samson tower from a few years back on the wakeboard boat. I wouldn't go any other way for a fishing vessel, or watersports boat for that matter.

Check out some boats with towers from different vendors. Look them over closely, determine what you want, what it's going to cost, and figure out who you want to build yours.

Radar and VHF mounts (waiting for parts still)

#12 ·
Kenny at Full Penn built mine. Quality is second to none. There wasn't a single metal shaving in the boat under any mounting point, and everything is exactly where it should be. There are gimbal mounts and removable liners in each rod holders, making any of them a net holder. There are rubber liners to accommodate thinner butted salmon rods for each rod holder. The lighted USCG approved pylon/light eliminates the use of the factory anchor light, and pulls a wakeboarder out with ease. The welds are better than I could do myself, and I'm certified in a few tig processes. The wiring is clean and correct. The unit folds down if the need arises. The tower is a close fit, but it does not rub the semi hard top, and the top is still removable without folding the tower down. I looked at the others, and own a Samson tower from a few years back on the wakeboard boat. I wouldn't go any other way for a fishing vessel, or watersports boat for that matter.

Check out some boats with towers from different vendors. Look them over closely, determine what you want, what it's going to cost, and figure out who you want to build yours.

Radar and VHF mounts (waiting for parts still)

#14 ·
Just an update.

I have been TRYING to get Kenny with full penn to do my tower. One thing after another. In short...still not done. Very frustrating. His towers are nice when you are one of the people to get ahold of him...on the list...and then actually get one started. A complete waste of time to this point. I gave up last week. Now looking for another option in the area near Portland.

:doh:

#21 ·
Just an update.

I have been TRYING to get Kenny with full penn to do my tower. One thing after another. In short...still not done. Very frustrating. His towers are nice when you are one of the people to get ahold of him...on the list...and then actually get one started. A complete waste of time to this point. I gave up last week. Now looking for another option in the area near Portland.

I had Who Dat up in the Spokane area build my tower for my Sea Hawk and they build some custom towers,,,

#17 ·
When I had Kenny make me a Tower, I was on a wait list for 2 months til he had an opening. Don't be in a hurry to get your tower. I told kenny when I dropped it off to take his time because he is fitting these in along with his regular day to day business that he does. He said that it is usually a 1.5 week turnaround, but with a couple of other projects that we was doing it took alittle longer. No problem, I said, take your time and I know it will be one of the best Towers around, and it was. I am extremely happy and will recommend him to everyone. When I have any work done to my boat, my response to the Mechanics that are working on my boat is take you time and do it right. Have never been disappointed yet.

#18 ·
Just received my captains package aluminum radar arch from fishonsports, looks good, came with 8 rod holders, 2 swivel rod holders, 2 light brackets, radar pad, 1 net holder, 4 deck mounts, added another net holder for $775, the price has gone up $50 since, all are bolt on, & bolt together 2 side pieces, 4 elbows, 1 top piece, will put it together this weekend, not the best as I would rather have a fully welded custom radar arch, but very affordable, & practical.

#19 ·
I installed the Fishonsports Uni-arch last year, and it has worked very well so far. They didn't have the Captain's package listed at that time, or I would have bought that (more stuff for the price!). The arch was fairly easyto assemble and mount; a second set of hands is really helpful when you put it in place on the boat and for marking your mounting holes! I have a 24" Raymarine radar, rod holders, and deck lights mounted on it, and have had no issues so far.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.