IFish Fishing Forum banner

Browning BAR Front sight removal

19K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  BIGALSURF 
#1 ·
I am trying to remove the front metal post sight so I can put a deresonator on the barrel. I have removed the back screw and the cover over the front post sight. There is a second screw, accessed by removing the post. The post is mounted in a keyway. My question, how hard to whack on this thing to get it loose? Padded chisel and mallet tapping is doing nothing. Don't want to bend the barrel or scratch it. Anyone ever done this?

#2 ·
Before tapping on the front post put the back screw back in snugly, now get a brass drift punch and tap front post out, now take out both screws. There is a chance that if you don't put the back screw back in before trying to remove front post you could break the screw that is onder the front post. Don't ask me how I know.

DAB

#3 ·
Mmm...you probably want to use a small STEEL Hammer and a small piece of BRASS barstock, cut off square, to tap that Sight off.

Then I usually pad the sight with small patch of thin cardboard (Tablet Backing or even a strip of Paper plate) folded over double to keep the Brass from coloring the Blued Steel.

Because the Dovetail grooves are cut straight across the barrel, but the sights are often cut tapered, follow the addage, "Left Off, Right On". (As viewed from the Receiver end of the barrel).

:cheers:

#8 ·
Well, I join the revered gentleman in the above club who stripped the front screw. I called the people who sold me the gun without waiting for advice here and of course they said tap away with no advice as to direction of tapping, and of course the back screw was out and finally, boink! It was gone. OK, now what, do the holes need filling? Is it going to rust?

I didn't even think of slipping the deresonator over the sight. Duh!

Why am I publicly proclaiming I'm mechanically challenged? Oh well, it's funny I guess.

#9 ·
if you are not going to put the front sight back on, you can get two small plug screws to fill the holes. on the stripped hole use locktight to glue the plug in. if you want the front sight back on, you need a gunsmith to retap the front hole and alter front sight to fit new sized screw.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.